Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to decide what I'd prefer the most - a quiet place with not many shops like Keele or a city place like Manchester.

I want to know what the University of Manchester is like. What are your opinions of the uni life?

Opinions of people doing Biology there will be most valued

ReputationRep:
    i've applied to do Biology at manchester, starting in September. the university looks amazing and the accommadation doesnt look too bad either. The labs have had vast amounts of money poured into them. a lot of stuff there is "state of the art"

but more than location and resources, what's swung it for me is that there is a bridge between 2 buildings, the curviture of which matches the curviture of a human spine and ribs. and in one of the buildings theres a spiral staircase where the number of steps = the number of bases in one rotation of a DNA helix, which is about at the right geekiness level to get my attention

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    i've applied to do Biology at manchester, starting in September. the university looks amazing and the accommadation doesnt look too bad either. The labs have had vast amounts of money poured into them. a lot of stuff there is "state of the art"

but more than location and resources, what's swung it for me is that there is a bridge between 2 buildings, the curviture of which matches the curviture of a human spine and ribs. and in one of the buildings theres a spiral staircase where the number of steps = the number of bases in one rotation of a DNA helix, which is about at the right geekiness level to get my attention
    ha ha :P That sounds amazing :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm a third year biologist there

The city is amazing! The uni is great too, what do you specifically want to know?
    If you don't like the big city center, the bus in the opposite direction to the one to uni takes you to much smaller town like areas for about £1.30. Its free if you get a bus pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheonixx)
    I'm a third year biologist there

The city is amazing! The uni is great too, what do you specifically want to know?
    If you don't like the big city center, the bus in the opposite direction to the one to uni takes you to much smaller town like areas for about £1.30. Its free if you get a bus pass.
    What's the course been like over the last 3 years?

What's the accommodation like?

What's good about it?

And, not that I really want to know, what's bad about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jono300)
    What's the course been like over the last 3 years?

What's the accommodation like?

What's good about it?

And, not that I really want to know, what's bad about it?
    Second and third years are hard, but not as hard as they make out to you. Practicals are boring in first year, but you need to learn the stuff I guess. You get to do all the stuff you learned about in Alevel biology. SDS-PAGE, PCR ect. Lectures are good. you will have about 20 hours contact time in first and second year, more than most students, but you have to get up for 9 am lectures most days

Don't do the anatomy module in second year or modules called sensory/motor systems: everyone nearly failed them. And advanced neuropharmacology is a con, it doesn't contain any drugs. Practicals in seond year are more fun and involved.

Overall its stimulating and interesting, some crap lecturers and some great ones. This is usually down to how well they can speak english, there is an inverse relationship between how clever/famous the lecturer is and how well they actually teach.

Accommodation varies but don't get en-suite and it doesn't matter where you live you will have fun. Saying that, don't live in the girls only halls (Victoria) I've mates that lived there and it's the most boring halls (if you're a girl naturally).

Good? lots contact time, lots of practicals, lots of support, easy to get to uni, 24 hour library during exams - is massive too. The city is ace! It's a massive uni so you can find like minded people with ease.

bad? practicals can be a little boring, feedback is poor, a lot of snobs seem to go there. You will get lost in the library. If you do pharmacology you will try and kill your self in third year at some point, it's harder than the rest. Bus drivers are grumpy. Each module is about the same as an A-level module knowledge wise, except you have 12 per year and not 6 so it's double the work.

Most of the bad points are the same as any other uni I'd imagine.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with the poster above about ensuite - I had ensuite and I felt it was a good decision!!

Manchester is a great place to go to and I would really recommend studying here. I have friends who have gone to uni's in smaller places and they seem to really regret it.

Is there anything else you feel you want to know about Manchester?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 23, 2010

University open days

1. University of Manchester
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.