Turn on thread page Beta

After how many years working does your degree diminish in importance watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

How long does it take for the importance of your degree to diminish when you are working. Is it the case that after x years your work experience and management experience become the most important factor for moving up the ladder?

Also do qualifications such as the IMC and CFA have the affect of being more important than degrees?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon it depends on the organization. I daresay your degree will always follow you around at a boutique like Evercore or Perella Weinberg, but elsewhere it probably doesn't matter beyond Analyst level. I get the impression your degree/university matter a lot more in the States than over here, they're a little more elitist over there.

Your first seriously performance related bonus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    I reckon it depends on the organization. I daresay your degree will always follow you around at a boutique like Evercore or Perella Weinberg, but elsewhere it probably doesn't matter beyond Analyst level. I get the impression your degree/university matter a lot more in the States than over here, they're a little more elitist over there.
    Am :confused: Don't most people who want to go to associate position or PE have to have a MBA and in order to have an MBA your undergraduate degree is necessary and the PE firms look at them, don’t they?

ReputationRep:
    I graduated in September last year and it has already lost significance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonjon123)
    Am :confused: Don't most people who want to go to associate position or PE have to have a MBA and in order to have an MBA your undergraduate degree is necessary and the PE firms look at them, don’t they?
    No, once you complete your first few years at a bank you move up to Associate level. MBA is generally a more a direct route into Associate level, skipping the Analyst part. Beyond Analyst level it's your performance that matters more than university. Hope this clears it up for you.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.