Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    -don't look scallies in the eye.
    -look strong, even if you're not
    -don't carry too much cash around on you
    -don't wonder round in the dark yourself

I always look scallies in their eyes, I just laugh at them!
    OK I look strong
    I never take my debit card out when I am going out clubbing
    I wonder round at night during myself, its save in the area I live though and the city centre is also safe because its so busy.

I wondered round salford at night once, that was a little bit scary but I was fine.
    What would you do when about 5 scallies walked towards you and they were looking at you intently?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    What would you do when about 5 scallies walked towards you and they were looking at you intently?
    It's happened before. I would just carry on walking. They are harmless really. They just like to look tough but they're not.
    Or if I was having a bad day, I'd cross over the road, like a chicken (get it? - lol sorry)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I will just go to the nearest copper round the corner. It probably will never happen, Manchrester at night is very busy and there are police round every corner as its party city. However if it did happen I will just panic.

ReputationRep:
    I will just go to the nearest copper round the corner. It probably will never happen, Manchrester at night is very busy and there are police round every corner as its party city. However if it did happen I will just panic.
    Sorry to say this, but I can't say I've ever seen a police man walking around the streets. Only if there's a football match or something. Actually, in town yesterday, there was this police mobile, telling you to report crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    lol, so here we have 2 different answers. Looks like gems is tougher than you mate.

About 4 people went for me and my mates (proper running), they like carried baseball bats etc. We just like legged it for 30 minutes. I was proper scared.
    Now you're speaking like one..just joking.

Where was this? Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    Well I am talking about saturday nights in the city centre at like 2:0am.

I keep to the main roads all the time and I don't go into the rough areas (apart from Salford) its just a matter of using your common sence. If you walked down Lower Broughton at 12:00am down some back ali then you are asking trouble if you're on your own.

I also took around me all the time and if I think I can see trouble I just cross the road and stand outside a bus stop or somthing.

The only time I have ever really been scared is being lost in Salford at 9:00pm on my own!

I am feeling a tad scared now though as this thread my have pushed my look :confused:

ReputationRep:

I keep to the main roads all the time and I don't go into the rough areas (apart from Salford) its just a matter of using your common sence. If you walked down Lower Broughton at 12:00am down some back ali then you are asking trouble if you're on your own.

I also took around me all the time and if I think I can see trouble I just cross the road and stand outside a bus stop or somthing.

The only time I have ever really been scared is being lost in Salford at 9:00pm on my own!

I am feeling a tad scared now though as this thread my have pushed my look :confused:
    There is no need to feel scared - get an armed guard.

I think it's best if you walk around with a friend at night.

ReputationRep:
    I liked the pictures first ever i seen of how manchester looks, though i would suggest u take the pictures in summer (winter pictures=depressing) There r many buildings in Manchester those pictures u have taken r lets say "luvy davy" pictures of manchester i want to see the real manchester underneath. the one im going to paas everyday .its like me going to central london today and taking all the nice architectural and modern pictures of central london and saying that is london no its not it coz i hardly go to city centre if u could plz take picture of uni campus and surrounding areas although its up to u.the pictures were taken nicely though but plz put up REAL pics of manchester.The negative side not all positive.thx for pics though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GEEZER)
    I liked the pictures first ever i seen of how manchester looks, though i would suggest u take the pictures in summer (winter pictures=depressing) There r many buildings in Manchester those pictures u have taken r lets say "luvy davy" pictures of manchester i want to see the real manchester underneath. the one im going to paas everyday .its like me going to central london today and taking all the nice architectural and modern pictures of central london and saying that is london no its not it coz i hardly go to city centre if u could plz take picture of uni campus and surrounding areas although its up to u.the pictures were taken nicely though but plz put up REAL pics of manchester.The negative side not all positive.thx for pics though
    Maybe the Manchester Uni website has some pictures, or you do a search on google. There would be loads.

ReputationRep:

this is wat im talking about ur scared so much by replying to thread and posting sum pictures (shocked and thinks is it that unsafe)

ReputationRep:
    I know what you are saying but that is pretty much real manchester. The suburbs are usualy nice too, Fallowfield has problems with muggings but if you can afford Chorlton or Didsbury you won't have any problems. Didsbury is the land of £1 million houses though, but its only 20 mins from Manchester uni by bus, Chorlton is a bit cheaper but still expensive and is 15 mins away.

There are streets in innercity Manchester with boared up houses etc but you should never have to them places.

But yes if you want me too I may well take some pictures of not so nice Manchester some time.

Manchester is a big city at the end of the day, if you don't like city stress then go to some where like York. However I feed of it because Manchester is simply buzzin'!

ReputationRep:
    this is wat im talking about ur scared so much by replying to thread and posting sum pictures (shocked and thinks is it that unsafe)
    But that was just a one off. Most people I know who live in Salford have never been victims of crime either, and Salford is like the roughest part of Manchester.

Seriously I walk alone at night in Manchester all the time and feel perfectly safe, I am still a bit aware though.

The city centre is probably one of the safest city centres in the UK now, it has the most advanced CCTV network in Europe. Your real danger will be if you move some where like Fallowfeild and walk home alone at night. However if you;re with other people you will be fine.

One of the richest post codes in the UK SK8/SK9 is 5 miles way from Manchester City centre so it can;t be that bad!

ReputationRep:
    But that was just a one off. Most people I know who live in Salford have never been victims of crime either, and Salford is like the roughest part of Manchester.

Seriously I walk alone at night in Manchester all the time and feel perfectly safe, I am still a bit aware though.

The city centre is probably one of the safest city centres in the UK now, it has the most advanced CCTV network in Europe. Your real danger will be if you move some where like Fallowfeild and walk home alone at night. However if you;re with other people you will be fine.

One of the richest post codes in the UK SK8/SK9 is 5 miles way from Manchester City centre so it can;t be that bad!
    Go to Hale - then you'll see some mansions.

ReputationRep:
    Yep exactly a lot of these areas in Manchester (Halle is still Greater Manchester) are very rich. South Manchester has a very strong property market, my parents 3 bed terrace house is worth £200k. There was a 5 bed terrace near me on the market for £450,000.

Some new 2 bedroom appartments in West Didsbury will cost you £300k.

Yet go over to places like Moston and you can buy houses for £20k.

I think Manchester is probably one of the most divided cities. Though its even worse in London where according to legend you can rent houses in Lambeth or just £30 a week where just down the road in Chelsea a 2 bed house could cost £1 milion +

ReputationRep:
    Yep exactly a lot of these areas in Manchester (Halle is still Greater Manchester) are very rich. South Manchester has a very strong property market, my parents 3 bed terrace house is worth £200k. There was a 5 bed terrace near me on the market for £450,000.

Some new 2 bedroom appartments in West Didsbury will cost you £300k.

Yet go over to places like Moston and you can buy houses for £20k.

I think Manchester is probably one of the most divided cities. Though its even worse in London where according to legend you can rent houses in Lambeth or just £30 a week where just down the road in Chelsea a 2 bed house could cost £1 milion +
    I must say that Didsbury is a nice place. It's rather like the country side, a few shops, quiet roads. Rather nice.

ReputationRep:
    ok thx guys u have given me valuble insight into manchester life thx

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I live about 15 mins up the road from Didsbury, I do like Didsbury its a nice place to for a drink but its also very expensive. The same countryside is near me (the mersey valley) its nice when you just want to get away from all the stress you can go for a nice walk through countless fields.

I would love an appartment in Didsbury when I graduate but I doubt I will be rich enough.

ReputationRep:
    ok thx guys u have given me valuble insight into manchester life thx
    No problem.

ReputationRep:
    ok

http://www.allcityhotels.com/usa/tex..._pictures.html

theres a picture of the woodlands resort......

ReputationRep:
    yay! I'm going there soon .. can't be worse than london..

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2003
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.