Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im starting nurse training in 2010 and have experience of working on the wards but during many shifts I felt more like a prison officer than a nurse..and then felt guilty for feeling this way. Its talking to patients and trying to help them see from a positive perspective that I enjoy doing not being on 1.1's and restraining. I have researched the career but I want to know what areas of nursing exist where you are not stuck in the same place (ie a ward) throughout the entire shift? Im aware there is community work, drug and alcohol services but what other areas are common where you are not spending the day in one environment?

ReputationRep:
    Hey Riddy!

I'm doing placement in an an acute admissions MH ward. I appreciate that restraining and 1:1s are very difficult to get to grips with. I have to admit it's taking me some time to get used to, but I keep reminding myself that it's the nature of the beast of an acute ward; it isn't a "normal" environment by any stretch. I do love it, but I feel as though when I step onto the ward I'm in another world. MH work in the community, GP surgeries and depot clinics, drop-in centres, sheltered accomodation, rehab clinics... there are a ton of environments where you're not stuck in one place. If you're interested, there are opportunities to go to Afghanistan and help soldiers with PTSD as well (which I think would be hugely challenging but equally rewarding, I've spoken to a lecturer who had done exactly that). Really, the world is your oyster.

ReputationRep:
    I work on an acute ward and I think you get out of it what you put in - yes observations and restraining is not a very nice aspect of the job, but I find that sometimes running a group with the patients, or having 1:1 time with someone, taking someone out for a walk, listening to someone talk about their problems... all are very enjoyable parts of the job. I try my best to do things with the patients to show that I am not just someone who pumps them full of drugs/restrains them, but actually someone who treats them as normal individuals. They are so used to the stigma that comes with mental health that sometimes for them having a member of staff devoting ten minutes to just sit and have a joke with them makes their day.

... anyway I'm finding it really hard to verbalise what I really mean! I hope when you start your training you'll get to see more of the rewarding, uplifing side than the prison officer side. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilee172)
    I work on an acute ward and I think you get out of it what you put in - yes observations and restraining is not a very nice aspect of the job, but I find that sometimes running a group with the patients, or having 1:1 time with someone, taking someone out for a walk, listening to someone talk about their problems... all are very enjoyable parts of the job. I try my best to do things with the patients to show that I am not just someone who pumps them full of drugs/restrains them, but actually someone who treats them as normal individuals. They are so used to the stigma that comes with mental health that sometimes for them having a member of staff devoting ten minutes to just sit and have a joke with them makes their day.

... anyway I'm finding it really hard to verbalise what I really mean! I hope when you start your training you'll get to see more of the rewarding, uplifing side than the prison officer side. Good luck!
    Yea Ive applied for nursing but from my experience on a ward some days are bad ( self harming, yelling abuse etc) others are enjoyable. I remember someone cut herself in the toilet while I was on 1:1 I thought that it was an invasion of privacy to watch her on the toilet and she seemed in a pleasant mood so I thought all would be ok. She came out though with her arms dripping with blood saying voices told her to do it I had to hold the wounds together while the nurse put strips on it was my fault really but they said it wasn't. I felt real anxious and faint not from the sight of blood just the things the patient was saying really freaked me out. It makes me wonder if Im too neurotic and anxious for nursing or if its something you just get used to but I guess there are other areas to work too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostintime)
    Yea Ive applied for nursing but from my experience on a ward some days are bad ( self harming, yelling abuse etc) others are enjoyable. I remember someone cut herself in the toilet while I was on 1:1 I thought that it was an invasion of privacy to watch her on the toilet and she seemed in a pleasant mood so I thought all would be ok. She came out though with her arms dripping with blood saying voices told her to do it I had to hold the wounds together while the nurse put strips on it was my fault really but they said it wasn't. I felt real anxious and faint not from the sight of blood just the things the patient was saying really freaked me out. It makes me wonder if Im too neurotic and anxious for nursing or if its something you just get used to but I guess there are other areas to work too.
    You learn from every experience, nursing is a constant learning curve. Mental health in particular is very anxiety-provoking because of the range of unusual and often initimidating/scary experiences you have. For example from that you probably learnt that if you're on 1:1 with someone, you would not leave them to use the toilet alone, and now you've seen the possible consequences I'm sure you wouldn't let that happen again. it's all a learning curve! and I;m sure most people have certain anxieties in those kinds of settings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostintime)

One of the things to remember, that with nursing, you're not born a brilliant nurse. It's part of learning to be a GOOD nurse that you make mistakes, question your skills and abilities and know your weak areas to work on- it's a learning experience throughout your whole life, theres no such thing as the perfect nurse

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.