Turn on thread page Beta

Why do we (girls) turn down sex when we want it? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I may not have made my point clear- I wasn't necessarily saying that there is a correlation between love and sex, I was just using telling someone you love them as an analogy for sex. I could go up to a random person I met in a club and tell them that I love them. By your logic (not that you necessarily think this), that couldn't be compared to telling someone with whom you are in a committed relationship, because they're only words; the differing emotions are what matter. But for me it would mean that when I wanted to do the latter, it would be less meaningful because I'd already offered it casually to someone else. This is analogous to how many people feel about sex. You're welcome to disagree, but can you explain why it's bizarre and illogical?
    OK, but I think that a bit of a false analogy. It is still the differing emotions that matter, because if you say that you love someone when you really don't, you're lying about what you're feeling. There's no dishonesty in having casual sex, whereas telling someone you love them when you simply don't is a lie - it's a bit of a 'boy who cried wolf' scenario, if you tell who you don't really love that you do love them then it can (although I'm not necessarily suggesting that it does) cheapen that phrase. But that's because there's dishonesty involved, so I don't really see the point of comparison between that and having casual sex where both parties are aware of what's going on.

I think saving yourself for marriage is bizarre because I don't understand why you would do it - the other poster was nice enough to try and explain, but even he seems to agree that having casual sex doesn't make you love your future partners any less, and doesn't stop sex with them from being different than with an acquaintance, or that it doesn't do any harm as long as you're safe. So I still don't really get it. For the vast, vast majority of people I imagine the reason is religion - and I find that to be pretty bizarre and illogical generally.

ReputationRep:
    Some do, some don't. I wouldn't turn someone down if I found them attractive and I was single. I wouldn't care about being called silly names either.

ReputationRep:
    GET AT D*LDO! i just got my mate one for her bday from ann summers twas only £30 and she cant wait to try it out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klare)
    All the stress from Uni work (especially during exam time) has really build up and I feel like I need to let off some steam. There are a few guys I know who fancy me but I've turned them down even though I am attracted to couple of them. I wouldn't want a relationship because I am just too busy for one at the moment, but if I don't have sex soon I might actually die. I haven't had a boyfriend in nearly 2 years.

Man would never turn down sex with an attractive girl and they wouldn't worry about it affecting their reputation. Why do we? What is the whole idea of only sleeping with people you care about? I really wish I had a more male mentality. I would probably have so much more fun instead of being so scared of doing something I might regret.
    Which Uni?

Oh and pikz

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.