Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just about managed to squeeze my way into Computer Science last year through clearing, having only 200 UCAS points, with an extra 60 from key skills being ignored.

Turns out that I hate Computer Science a great deal and have only put up with it because I like being here in Swansea and enjoy the student life. Have done none of the courseworks and just failed all the exams, I have no interest at all and just want to study something I have a passion for. Have thrown together a UCAS application but the current grades needed leave me in sorrow. I just want to a study a non-math related course.

I am basically one hundred/(40 if key skills are accepted, which they never are) UCAS points away from the expected grade for Swan history and politics, meaning even clearling would be a long shot. What the hell should I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soumy)
    I am basically one hundred/(40 if key skills are accepted, which they never are) UCAS points away from the expected grade for Swan history and politics, meaning even clearling would be a long shot. What the hell should I do?
    Have you considered the Open University as an option? I'm certain that the OU do not have specific UCAS-points style requirements. What was it you had in mind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjclackjones)
    Have you considered the Open University as an option? I'm certain that the OU do not have specific UCAS-points style requirements. What was it you had in mind?
    Working from home with the OU would really not be my cup of tea, I wish only to continue along here in the Swan doing History or Politics. I will consider the OU after clearing denies me in August or whenever it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soumy)
    Working from home with the OU would really not be my cup of tea, I wish only to continue along here in the Swan doing History or Politics. I will consider the OU after clearing denies me in August or whenever it is.
    Why wait for clearing? Ask Swansea for a transfer to the course you want and you'll get an idea of how easy it might be. You'd be unlikely to get in via clearing if they turn down a transfer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Why wait for clearing? Ask Swansea for a transfer to the course you want and you'll get an idea of how easy it might be. You'd be unlikely to get in via clearing if they turn down a transfer.
    The general impression I have been given by the history department is that my only option is to apply via UCAS. Ta, though.

Probably best I just give up and go to Lampeter or somewhere in England with similar requirements and less being in the middle of nowhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soumy)
    The general impression I have been given by the history department is that my only option is to apply via UCAS. Ta, though.

Probably best I just give up and go to Lampeter or somewhere in England with similar requirements and less being in the middle of nowhere.
    Are you sure Uni is for you? The impression I have is that you seem more interested in the lifestyle of a student, rather than attaining a degree for your future career. My sister for example, started a geography degree and got bored after a year, (mainly because she did no work and spent all of her loan money), and is now in full time work. Which she is now very happy with!

I'd suggest looking at certain job prospects personally, though if you specifically want to do a degree in politics/history at university for whatever reason, good luck to you!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.