Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is great news !!!

¨Obese passengers flying with Air France-KLM may have to pay more following the introduction of new rules later this year.

Company spokeswoman Monique Matze told AFP passengers who were unable to squeeze into a single aeroplane seat would have to pay 75 per cent of the cost of a second seat¨

ReputationRep:
    Where's this from?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/new...ectid=10621264

ReputationRep:
    http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...0120-mjvq.html

This will help to avoid problems like this:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fair to me.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I have no issue with this.

ReputationRep:
    ¨This man violates FAA standards for safety.
    As an airline captain I can tell you that passenger depicted in your article does not meet FAA standards for safety. More important than passenger comfort or even emergency egress issues, in the event of a crash sequence, the overweight passenger could cause death to surrounding passengers as he is not safely secured. At our airline, and I know at Southwest, obese passengers must pay for two seats. It has nothing to do with fair treatment; it has to do with total passenger weight which is limited to 190 per passenger for weight and balance, on average. They certainly would be considered handicapped as they could not exit as normal passengers would. There is absolutely no discrimination here. Weight is weight; if your bag exceeds 50 pounds, prepare to pay extra, same for passengers.¨
    http://travel.aol.com/travel-ideas/a...bate-continues

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good to me. Everytime I fly I dread possibly having to sit by some fat person taking up most my seat. It hasn't happened yet, thank god.

ReputationRep:
    Was about to post this on my facebook and realised I've got a few obese friends on there...

ReputationRep:
    This makes perfect sense, why would people who need more room have to pay the same as everyone else?

And you know, if it annoys you, maybe lose some weight?

ReputationRep:
    ^ What a screen name. You think those Neo Nazi girls can sing well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    And one of them is in your signature.

Yeah but Stewie is awesome

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    Its about time.

ReputationRep:
    If you take up two seats, you should pay for two seats. Seems perfectly fair to me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.