Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wow.

I experienced this weirdness this afternoon (last time this happend I was a teen!)
    I "woke" up but could not move so I shut my eyes and moved my hand towards my face but when I opened my eyes my hand wasn't there but I had the sensation that my hand was there in front of me!! I then fell asleep again and woke up normal and moved my arms and stuff...then fell asleep and it happend again haha!! I tried calling out but it felt like I was whispering.I did this about 2 more times....it was hard to actualy wake myself up from being paralyses! God I wish someone taped it haha

Anyone else experienced this?? If so anything scary happen? I hear people have hallucinations and stuff...

ReputationRep:
    There's lengthy scientific explanations for this but at the end of the day it's a demon sitting on your chest whilst the evil one enters.

ReputationRep:
    its not dangerous is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _dudette_)
    its not dangerous is it?
    Of course it is.

ReputationRep:
    it's normal. just the paralysis of sleep lasting into wakefulness. i've had it once or twice and it was very scary. it even made me claustrophobic for while but apparently it rarely occurs in adulthood.

ReputationRep:
    Happened once before, almost exactly how you mentioned it with the whispers instead of screams coming out

To be fair, I was afraid of the figure that was sitting at the foot of my bed.. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I used to have it quite often a year or two back!!
    It would happen the most when I'd be having a nightmare and wouldn't be able to wake up.
    So I'd wake myself and try to sit up to stay awake but I can't move AT ALL. And I feel like something is pushing down on my chest. My eyes used to get REALLY heavy and itd be really hard to keep from going to sleep but the whole time I can hear the voices from my nightmare. And I'd try shout for someone but I literally can't. This would go on for what would feel like ages until I could finally move my arm and eventually sit up. Scary timesss.
    It used to creep me out, but later on my brother told me the scientific explanations. It's happened to my bro quite recently actually, he had the hallucination of a dark shadow in the room with him Doesn't happen to me anymore, thank gosh lol.

ReputationRep:
    It's freaking scary isn't it!! I guess that how people feel when they really are paralysed for life....imaging your arm moving up when it's not....*shudder*

When I was younger, 14 or so I woke up to a head...just a head on my chest, I tried to get it off me haha my arm was really heavy though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trouser Snake)
    There's lengthy scientific explanations for this but at the end of the day it's a demon sitting on your chest whilst the evil one enters.

Haha that first pic was what I saw today when finding things on the net about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oodalallyoodalally)
    it's normal. just the paralysis of sleep lasting into wakefulness. i've had it once or twice and it was very scary. it even made me claustrophobic for while but apparently it rarely occurs in adulthood.
    RARE I love that word....would I be considered an adult at 23 then? I think it due to me having this HORRENDOUS head ache before I slept....it was so bad that I called NHS direct haha plus I was worried about missing work by sleeping that head ache off.

So weird...I heard my bf go the toilet and then im sure he was behind the open bedroom door but his voice sounded like a computer or something, creepy stuff! I heard the cat meiow but that sound just drifted on and on....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeAtStarbucks)
    I used to have it quite often a year or two back!!
    It would happen the most when I'd be having a nightmare and wouldn't be able to wake up.
    So I'd wake myself and try to sit up to stay awake but I can't move AT ALL. And I feel like something is pushing down on my chest. My eyes used to get REALLY heavy and itd be really hard to keep from going to sleep but the whole time I can hear the voices from my nightmare. And I'd try shout for someone but I literally can't. This would go on for what would feel like ages until I could finally move my arm and eventually sit up. Scary timesss.
    It used to creep me out, but later on my brother told me the scientific explanations. It's happened to my bro quite recently actually, he had the hallucination of a dark shadow in the room with him Doesn't happen to me anymore, thank gosh lol.
    The 3 times it's happend to me is when I'm seriously worried about things hehe I need to chill!
    I was wondering what would happen if my boyfriend walked in as it was happening!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    The 3 times it's happend to me is when I'm seriously worried about things hehe I need to chill!
    I was wondering what would happen if my boyfriend walked in as it was happening!
    He probably would have been frightened by the fact that your eyes probably seemed scared but you wern't saying anything! It might have been more scary for you! You may have ended up hallucinating and pictured him as some creepy shadow! lol
    + Yeahhh it probably happened to me when I was stressed out, therefore had nightmares/sleep paralysis. One day it randomly came up when I was talking to my mum and she was like, yeh it happened to me as well! She's more superstitious though, and was like, you should pray before you sleep lool.

ReputationRep:
    It happened to me but no one believed me! I woke up and saw a shadow of a figure on the wall, couldn't speak or move for a good few minutes... was scary.

ReputationRep:
    RARE I love that word....would I be considered an adult at 23 then? I think it due to me having this HORRENDOUS head ache before I slept....it was so bad that I called NHS direct haha plus I was worried about missing work by sleeping that head ache off.
    So weird...I heard my bf go the toilet and then im sure he was behind the open bedroom door but his voice sounded like a computer or something, creepy stuff! I heard the cat meiow but that sound just drifted on and on....
    Rare is good. It means that you probably won't have it again. If you have an out-of-body experience next time then you can start worrying
    I'd say 23 is more or less an adult though adolescent conditions often extend into early 20s.
    Your paralysis sounds psychedelic. mine was a bin lorry reversing.

ReputationRep:
    I hate this, i get i quite alot and the hallucinations are terrifying. I open my eyes and look round the room so i'm pretty much awake but i can hear voices and people touching me but i just can't move. I understand how people can believe they've had supernatural encounters because it's so realistic. I find the more I struggle to wake the worse the hallucination/dream becomes and if i manage to relax into it and laugh I am able to wake and move. It's so so twisted.

They say it's worse if you sleep on your back and hardly ever happens if you sleep on your side but this has made no difference to me. Sleeping with the tv on seems to prevent it quite a bit.

ReputationRep:
    The closest I've come to this kind of thing myself is when I woke up and couldn't move or feel my right arm at all. But that was just because I'd been lying on it and it had gone dead, no hallucinations or anything. Gave me a shock, though; the way dreams incorporate physical sensation, I'd just started from a nasty nightmare involving my arm being detached. :yucky:

However,
    ...that sounds similar to how I feel when just about to pass out (biology has a bad effect on me ). The sounds all blur into one meaningless fuzz of background sound, and you feel as if all your energy and every last dreg of strength has been drained out of you, rendering you immobile.

It's horrible. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trouser Snake)

My mate describes his experience of sleep paralysis and the way he described it is exactly as in that pic. A ghostly figure holding his arms down while screaming in his face.
    I'd never heard of it till he told me. Creepy stuff, glad I've never experienced it.

ReputationRep:
    Happened once to me with a witch-like figure at the foot of the bed, very scary ****. I have never slept on my back since.

Some people try to encourage this and try to talk to the demon when it appears to find out why it's here, lunatics.

There is a sleep paralysis site and some of the stories are unreal, A worse form of this is night terrors and people have been close to taking their lives when it became so bad for them.

ReputationRep:
    I just read some stories and I am officially freaked :'(.

Some saying that they saw their grandson's spirit come out of their body n bite them then wake up finding a mark when they were apparently bitten.

And seeing people whilst in sleep paralysis speaking in tongues :'(

I need a hug, it is too dark in my room for it

ReputationRep:
    I had this once and was desperately trying to wake myself up. I did not have any hallucinations or anything like that but I did feel very vulnerable.

\it happened to me in halls and my next door neighbour apparently said that he heard me screaming in the night as I had probably managed to wake myself up and use my voice.

Haven't had it since I sleep on my side now

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.