Turn on thread page Beta

Sleep Paralysis..... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've never had sleep paralysis, but I have experienced hallucinations a few times when I've woken up in the middle of the night ( called hypnopompic hallucinations, and ones you have falling asleep are hypnaggogic hallucinations).

The first time I felt kind of freaked, because I woke up and there was a man standing in the middle of my room in the dark. I'm sure if I'd have believed in the supernatural I'd have thought it was some sort of ghost, but being the rational person I am I hit the internet in the morning and found out what it was instead. I've had a few since, usually involving strange people being in my room, although on a few ocasionas the door has seemed to disappear. Very odd.

Can't imagine how scary it must be to experience sleep paralysis though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oodalallyoodalally)
    Rare is good. It means that you probably won't have it again. If you have an out-of-body experience next time then you can start worrying
    I'd say 23 is more or less an adult though adolescent conditions often extend into early 20s.
    Your paralysis sounds psychedelic. mine was a bin lorry reversing.
    Hahaha at least if it was an out of body experience I would be able to move! When I woke up for real I saw the time so went downstaires and the clock was stuck on one position and the wrong time and I freaked out thinking I was sleepwalking....dead battery

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    I've never had sleep paralysis, but I have experienced hallucinations a few times when I've woken up in the middle of the night ( called hypnopompic hallucinations, and ones you have falling asleep are hypnaggogic hallucinations).

The first time I felt kind of freaked, because I woke up and there was a man standing in the middle of my room in the dark. I'm sure if I'd have believed in the supernatural I'd have thought it was some sort of ghost, but being the rational person I am I hit the internet in the morning and found out what it was instead. I've had a few since, usually involving strange people being in my room, although on a few ocasionas the door has seemed to disappear. Very odd.

Can't imagine how scary it must be to experience sleep paralysis though.
    Ahhh that's what I'm thinking I had awhile ago when I woke up to find a head on my chest haha my arms were fine then but this head wouldn't bugger off!! I'd been listening to Stairway to Heaven to get me to go sleep haha maybe that triggered it :eek:

I'm like you where you HAVE to find the reason for things on the net hehe back in the day though I was more into the paranormal....still am to an extent but I'm sick of waiting for that ghost to pop out of nowhere! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james.h)
    The closest I've come to this kind of thing myself is when I woke up and couldn't move or feel my right arm at all. But that was just because I'd been lying on it and it had gone dead, no hallucinations or anything. Gave me a shock, though; the way dreams incorporate physical sensation, I'd just started from a nasty nightmare involving my arm being detached. :yucky:

However,

...that sounds similar to how I feel when just about to pass out (biology has a bad effect on me ). The sounds all blur into one meaningless fuzz of background sound, and you feel as if all your energy and every last dreg of strength has been drained out of you, rendering you immobile.

It's horrible. :hugs:
    Hahaha! well I guess this sort of feels the same you whole body is heavy and it feel like you could move...but can't. What happends if you can't wake yourself up though?! Say you lay there in limbo for 8 hours waiting for your body to wake the hell up? scary!

Well I've never fainted so good to know what that feels like!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    I had this once and was desperately trying to wake myself up. I did not have any hallucinations or anything like that but I did feel very vulnerable.

\it happened to me in halls and my next door neighbour apparently said that he heard me screaming in the night as I had probably managed to wake myself up and use my voice.

Haven't had it since I sleep on my side now
    That sounded like you didn't have a good time....I kept going into this paralysis at least 3 times. I remeber trying to grab for my diet coke bottle to bang on the wall and then I dropped it....but when I woke up it was still on the side, hmmm. When you try to wake up it's like an invisible you moving inside your own body I found. Very weird! I wish I could tape record myself haha how funny would that be?!

Yeah I always sleep on my side but if I only want a short sleep in the day I'll sleep on my back haha

ReputationRep:
    its easy to see why this would scare people ******** when they didnt understand it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    its easy to see why this would scare people ******** when they didnt understand it
    Even when you do understand it it's scary....has it happend to you? Getting trapped inside your own body isn't fun....well okay it's a little fun :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    Even when you do understand it it's scary....has it happend to you? Getting trapped inside your own body isn't fun....well okay it's a little fun :p:
    no not happened to me
    happened to a mate though who described it as just fun once you know whats happening

ReputationRep:
    That sounded like you didn't have a good time....I kept going into this paralysis at least 3 times. I remeber trying to grab for my diet coke bottle to bang on the wall and then I dropped it....but when I woke up it was still on the side, hmmm. When you try to wake up it's like an invisible you moving inside your own body I found. Very weird! I wish I could tape record myself haha how funny would that be?!

Yeah I always sleep on my side but if I only want a short sleep in the day I'll sleep on my back haha
    Nah was terrified the first time but now I know what it is so I feel like I have more control. I try and fall back asleep now. I think I grabbed a CD case and threw it on the wall.... I woke up and it was smashed!

Yes it is like you are within yourself but you are this dead weight. Makes you wonder if your mind is alive but your body is dead...frightening when you first get it. I think if you were to record it you would just have your eyes darting about the place with your mouth trying to speak in silent words... would be quite interesting to see tbf.

ReputationRep:
    My most memorable time was coming back from a friends on the bus the next morning. Itd been a late night so i was shattered. I started falling asleep on the bus but then woke up (or so i thought), there was this thing that had wrapped a towel around me and just held it so tight that i couldnt move. This was on a friggin' bus! I bricked it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    no not happened to me
    happened to a mate though who described it as just fun once you know whats happening
    Try having a mini sleep in the day....on your back, ya never know! Have fun being paralysed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morzor)
    My most memorable time was coming back from a friends on the bus the next morning. Itd been a late night so i was shattered. I started falling asleep on the bus but then woke up (or so i thought), there was this thing that had wrapped a towel around me and just held it so tight that i couldnt move. This was on a friggin' bus! I bricked it!
    'the hell? You're the winner! haha Wasn't the bus like throwing you about going round bends and stuff? and what WAS this thing?! :eek: :eek3: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, I get this. Apparently it's better, once you get out of it, to wake yourself up properly - walk around, etc - before trying to get back to sleep, otherwise you can slip under it again.

It used to freak me out, a lot, I used to text my boyfriend at like 5am telling him I was scared, but I realised after a while if you tell yourself that you know what this is, it's not scary and nothing you feel is real, it's easier to break.

Very weird, but I'm less scared of it now

ReputationRep:
    I've had it happen literally countless times. Last time it happened was around 2 weeks ago, but prior to that a bit of a jump back to be about 6 months ago. From 16-21 though it happened once a month at least. Bloody horrible

ReputationRep:
    I've had mostly bad experiences from it but still induce it frequently.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha at least if it was an out of body experience I would be able to move! When I woke up for real I saw the time so went downstaires and the clock was stuck on one position and the wrong time and I freaked out thinking I was sleepwalking....dead battery
    OOh that's a little like in x-files when people lose time during an abduction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuppie20)
    I've had mostly bad experiences from it but still induce it frequently.
    Hehe who wouldn't? Not me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reisen)
    I hate this, i get i quite alot and the hallucinations are terrifying. I open my eyes and look round the room so i'm pretty much awake but i can hear voices and people touching me but i just can't move. I understand how people can believe they've had supernatural encounters because it's so realistic. I find the more I struggle to wake the worse the hallucination/dream becomes and if i manage to relax into it and laugh I am able to wake and move. It's so so twisted.

They say it's worse if you sleep on your back and hardly ever happens if you sleep on your side but this has made no difference to me. Sleeping with the tv on seems to prevent it quite a bit.
    Yehhh it always happened to me when I was lying flat on my back, so after it'd just happened I'd stay on my side, problem is since I was younger I've always slept flat on my back facing the ceiling, meh.

ReputationRep:
    I get this, although none of the hallucinations, I just think im paralysed, and then Ill wake up at some point later covered in sweat and my muscles aching because I think I spent the whole time tensing my muscles trying to move during the paralysis but not actually moving them, its scaaaary.

ReputationRep:
    I've had it a few times and it only seems to happen when i fall asleep on my back, and usually during a nap.

The first time it happeneed was probably the scariest thing ever, i didn't know what was going on, i thought i was dead...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2013
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.