Turn on thread page Beta

Sleep Paralysis..... watch

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when this happens. Like someone said the more you struggle and panic the worse it gets
    havent had it for a few months now though...probably because i just dont sleep on my back

ReputationRep:
    I have had sleep paralysis. The first time I had it I srsly throught it was a demon or something. But then I read up about it. I get it quite often actually, i've probably gone through it like 50+ times over the past 2 years. I don't get hallucinations, the best thing to do is to be calm and take deep breaths till you become conscious (going back to sleep will just induce further paralysis). First few times was scary but after that it's just an annoying sensation, especially when you get an asthma attack but can't move to get the inhalor. I find it quite fascinating though, also had a few lucid dreams before this happens too

ReputationRep:
    This happens to me atleast once a week, and its horrible. Sometimes Id choose to **** myself (NOT LITERALLY) and try and scream for the craic but most times i just hate it.

Plus it doesnt help that my mum is chronic sufferer and firmly believes that it is a ghost/evil spirit attacking her/me :/

one daughter at med school and another doing law yet she still insists its the paranormal!

I think I have had something similar to a sleep paralysis OR a possible out of body experience where I woke up and I like moved my head but I couldn't move anything else however I saw not my hands but like other hands that I controlled, picking up my arms which were all floppy and I layed it on my chest :p: I think I felt a bit frisky and made my actual hands touch/feel my boobs with my other "hands". I woke up to find my hands on my boobs, with everything the same as before except I could actually move :\ weirdness.

But I have to note, I was on my back.

ReputationRep:
    It's the story of my life. I have it regularly since i was really little and im scared every time.

ReputationRep:
    I've never experienced it, and whenever I try and ask other people if they have they never seem to know what I'm going on about. It seems strange that so many of you have!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    'the hell? You're the winner! haha Wasn't the bus like throwing you about going round bends and stuff? and what WAS this thing?! :eek: :eek3: :eek:
    You won't believe me but.. it was like, a skinny sumo wrestler, but without its face. Honestly... Luckily it wasnt for majorly long, like not even close to 5 minutes, but it was **** scary.

ReputationRep:
    This happens alot to me.

Alot of the time i wake up and am still dreaming os i see people and stuff in my room and i try to move bt i cant, and i cnt breathe properly and i try scream and i cant! ( althought sometimes massive screams manage to slip out, and then my body works agen and fell all embarrased)

its scary, but its something to laugh at in the morning!

actualy the first time it happened, i was asleep, and i woke up, and i could hear a loud voice in my ear saying "angels" over and over, and my room was lighiting up with rely bright colours,,,, was so freaky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlie17592)
    This happens alot to me.

Alot of the time i wake up and am still dreaming os i see people and stuff in my room and i try to move bt i cant, and i cnt breathe properly and i try scream and i cant! ( althought sometimes massive screams manage to slip out, and then my body works agen and fell all embarrased)

its scary, but its something to laugh at in the morning!

actualy the first time it happened, i was asleep, and i woke up, and i could hear a loud voice in my ear saying "angels" over and over, and my room was lighiting up with rely bright colours,,,, was so freaky
    The whole not breathing properly happend to me but now thinking about it I think it just the way you breath when you're asleep so you're not used to it whilst "awake" if you get me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morzor)
    You won't believe me but.. it was like, a skinny sumo wrestler, but without its face. Honestly... Luckily it wasnt for majorly long, like not even close to 5 minutes, but it was **** scary.
    Haha wtf? Oooh why don't I hallucinate weird things? Cool stroy though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    The whole not breathing properly happend to me but now thinking about it I think it just the way you breath when you're asleep so you're not used to it whilst "awake" if you get me.
    ye ths wot i was thinking, i h8 not being able to breathe and stuff and panick wen i choke on water etc haha!

ReputationRep:
    it onlyhappens when im lying on my back, which sucks, cos thats the best poisiton to sleep in:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I had it. Had some kind of hallucination too once, was quite freaky. The other time there was just a lot of white lights though.

ReputationRep:
    omg, i thought i was the only one that experienced this. I told my family about it, and its hard to believe. A while back i use to experience it quite often, and it was just soo scary, to an extent where i was scared of going sleep.
    I used to get claustrophobic, i really hated it. When it happened i could not move anything, i use to find my self trying so hard to move my hands, and i could also hear everyone else in the house.

Its wierd, because then i started praying a little before going to bed, and those were the days it never happened. Now its alot better, ive not had it for a while so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeanMachine)
    it onlyhappens when im lying on my back, which sucks, cos thats the best poisiton to sleep in:mad:

ahh same i find that too

ReputationRep:
    I used to get this frequently and it never gets less scary. The 2 times that were the most memorable and scary were one where i woke up in the phoetal posistion not able to move, and thought my ex boyfriend, who was my boyfriend at the time came in and raped me, it was horrible because i couldn't move for ages, it seemed so real and i was absolutely terrified.

The other one was that i was standing infront of my TV in my bedroom playing xbox but i was drenched in water and it was dripping onto the romote and i was being eletricuted and couldn't move - again i woke up in the phoetal posistion not able to move and feeling really scared.

I find the only way that wakes me up properly so i can actually move is clenching my eyelids really tightly since i can't move anything else.

ReputationRep:
    HAHA! I get sleep paralysis every single day. It started when I was about 10. And it always follows this pattern:

1) I have one dream (which I can never remember in the morning)

2) I have another dream which is always really bad (usually someone I know being threatened by a giant spider or some stupid thing). During a second dream, I always become conscious and I am STILL dreaming, but awake at the same time.

The problem with this is that I think that the spider, for example, really is crushing my neighbour to bits so I start sweating like mad and try to move, but the more I do, the more pain/tingling I get in my spine. Then, finally it stops and I wake up.

3) Then I go back to sleep and have an awesome dream! all a nights work!

I went to my gp when I was about 13 and he gave me some pills for my nerves. The paralysis reduced but came back a few months later. Now I just try to think of something else when in sleep paralysis so I can take my mind off the negative 'happenings'.

What I find really interesting is that science does not know the exact cause but religion does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeanMachine)
    Embrace the weirdness.....somehow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musama91)
    HAHA! I get sleep paralysis every single day. It started when I was about 10. And it always follows this pattern:

1) I have one dream (which I can never remember in the morning)

2) I have another dream which is always really bad (usually someone I know being threatened by a giant spider or some stupid thing). During a second dream, I always become conscious and I am STILL dreaming, but awake at the same time.

The problem with this is that I think that the spider, for example, really is crushing my neighbour to bits so I start sweating like mad and try to move, but the more I do, the more pain/tingling I get in my spine. Then, finally it stops and I wake up.

3) Then I go back to sleep and have an awesome dream! all a nights work!

I went to my gp when I was about 13 and he gave me some pills for my nerves. The paralysis reduced but came back a few months later. Now I just try to think of something else when in sleep paralysis so I can take my mind off the negative 'happenings'.

What I find really interesting is that science does not know the exact cause but religion does.
    Wow that's pretty weird that it happens every night! Bet you're knackered all the time from fighting against your own body! Maybe you're are just a really light sleeper....but you're body is so tired it can't be arsed to wake up with "you" hehe

ReputationRep:
    Dnon't worry about it, I used to have it like every night for 2 years, (of a 'cat' lying on my back that I couldn't see). Just this horrible weight pushing me down, sinking, unable to move and so on. Once I realised it felt like a cat, my mind started interfering I heard purring and felt it kneading, hahaha. First time it happened was different though - I was lying on my back, eyes open, and could hear creepy, echoing child's laughter. But after that it was always when I lie on my stomach. Loud, sudden noises (eg if someone's awake and closes a door) would make my body jerk and 'let me go'.
    Super scary at first but it happened so much that I got used to it and fought it, and now I hardly ever have it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2013
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.