Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How difficult would it be for someone who failed foundation maths, to go college and do higher maths or english?
    Also would it be difficult to do something like higher chemistry without doing it before?

ReputationRep:
    It would be very difficult i imagine, to say the least.
    A lot of people who pass credit level struggle badly with higher maths.
    It's possible to pass Higher Chemistry with no prior experience, I did, I had however passed both Biology and Physics Highers the year before. It was tough.

Can you not do intermediate 2's at college? I think that could be your best bet. Then do the highers the following year. If you do well at Intermediate 2 level those will set you up well with higher maths, english, chemistry etc etc

ReputationRep:
    depends how you failed foundation maths. if you failed it and worked hard for it then there's no chance you could do higher, however if you failed it and you did absolutely nothing and arsed around all year then we don't really know how good you are at maths so it may be possible.

ReputationRep:
    Frankly, I think you would be wasting your time.

ReputationRep:
    I got a credit pass and find Higher Maths very demanding. Some of the course follows on from skills learnt at Credit or Int 2. I really wouldn't recommend taking it.

ReputationRep:
    Do Int 1 and work your way up to Higher. Hire a tutor if your struggling.

ReputationRep:
    I did it without a credit grade, but I passed general well. Still, it's hard enough with a credit grade, nevermind general or foundation...if you didn't pass foundation, I doubt you'd manage higher. Yes, they might take you at college but that's only one side of the story.

English is rather subjective, as you're learning a skill rather than facts/rules.

ReputationRep:
    The only reason i want to do highers is because i cant do a HNC, i cant afford it because i already have one.
    Also i still dont know what to do as a career.
    I still have 5-6 months till college, would you think it's possible to study Int 2 and higher from books and materials at that time, to get a bit of a head start.

ReputationRep:
    I would say it's possible to get up to int 2 standard if you apply yourself. If you get yourself the intermediate 1+2 study guides and enough specimen papers. There are tons of videos on sites like youtube of worked examples of what you need to know at that level which will also help a lot. (Mostly gcse, but it's the same material)

I'd forget all about higher until you get to that standard, higher maths is dependant on so much credit level/int 2 material (factorisation, surds, etc), which with no understanding of you'll sink fast.

ReputationRep:
    What about higher chemistry with no experience at standard grade?
    Also higher english?

ReputationRep:
    Higher Chemistry without Standard Grade is very difficult, but possible if you really work at it. I would highly recommend getting up to speed at Int 2 Chem before attempting it. Actually it's a necessity.

Higher English well that one is a bit more subjective. I failed Credit standard grade (got a 3) but still passed the higher with a B in 5th year, so its very possible. How did you do at standard grade english?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.