Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    New American student to this forum...A lot of great information here!

I am starting to look into studying abroad for spring semester, and I am very interested in studying in the UK. Major is landscape architecture. My school has a reciprocal exchange agreement with Sheffield, but I would like to hear of your thoughts for other schools that I could look into. I am a from a small town in the states, don't party much, don't drink or smoke (yeah I am pretty boring I guess!) Would Sheffield be too big of a city for me or should I look into a school that is smaller and more rural? I have never traveled abroad before- I am very excited about the prospect of doing so. I don't know much about strong landscape arch schools in the UK. I did find one online, Writtle College, that is a part of the University of Essex, that looks small and more in the country. Anyone know about it? Any other suggestions? Many thanks for any help you could give me! Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    I can only give my opinion on Sheffield having visited just twice, but I wouldn't say it feels big at all. It is indeed a large city (I think it's the 4th biggest in England?), but I thought it felt a lot like a small town. My dad went to Sheffield Uni when he was younger so he took me to a couple of the pubs in the student areas (more to get a feel of the place, he was driving after all!) and they felt very friendly and I can imagine sitting in one with your friends you wouldn't feel out of place at all. You're just a short distance from the Peak District which is so beautiful and living right next to countryside myself, I know it's nice to go walking, cycling or whatever after spending too long in the city.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield is also is the middle of the country, so your also in easy reach of Manchester, Nottingham & Leeds.

Even London is just a couple of hours down the road (M1) and one of our best theme parks 'Alton Towers' is just the other side of the Peak District (if your into that sort of thing).

Anyway, hope this helps...

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield is one of the biggest cities in England but it really does feel like a very small town, you don't feel stressed, it's not crowded, and it's a really friendly place. I definitely think you'd enjoy it here, if you're not really into going out and drinking there's still loads of stuff to do around here.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for the information on Sheffield. It sounds like a great city. I think one thing that it is going to come down to is costs and if my uni will approve of where I want to end up going. Is Sheffield expensive? Would it be more expensive than say a small town like Chelmsford (Essex) where Writtle College is? Thanks again for responses thus far!

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield is apparently one of the cheapest areas in the country for living & the city centre is very compact, so no real need to catch taxi's or busses anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTygpKl1l9Y

Also, the Peak District beats Essex hands down in terms of country side, & the people there are more friendly. I know, I've been to both :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Bungle)
    Sheffield is apparently one of the cheapest areas in the country for living & the city centre is very compact, so no real need to catch taxi's or busses anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTygpKl1l9Y

Also, the Peak District beats Essex hands down in terms of country side, & the people there are more friendly. I know, I've been to both :cool:
    Yeah, from what I've seen Sheffield is definitely one of the cheapest cities in the country to live in, rents are way below those of what my friends describe in the cities they live in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by US2013)
    Thanks a lot for the information on Sheffield. It sounds like a great city. I think one thing that it is going to come down to is costs and if my uni will approve of where I want to end up going. Is Sheffield expensive? Would it be more expensive than say a small town like Chelmsford (Essex) where Writtle College is? Thanks again for responses thus far!
    The north of England is, as a general rule, far cheaper than the south east. Sheffield is also meant to be one of the cheaper student towns, as others have mentioned.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.