Turn on thread page Beta

Will I be able to cope with moving to uni? watch

I get anxious for no reason a lot of the time. I got a place at uni but lived at home and on the bus journey every morning I would just get anxious and think I can't cope with this theres no way I can sit in that lecture. I sort of had a fear of fainting too after fainting several times in public. people say that if you face your fears they go away but that can work the other way too can't it? If you carry on doing something despite the panic/anxiety/strange feelings of doom you will experience anxiety so bad that it will put you off maybe going out alone completely. Yet if I give in to it and go home I will be fine some days when im feeling more confident.

Another weird thing is im a shy/quiet/self conscious person yet when I meet new people because of the anxiety (of fainting/going panicky) Im not shy and don't care what people think of me I don't care if they think Im dull/miserable cause in my head im just trying to battle the anxiety.

Im moving into student accomodation soon (30 minute drive from home) and am questioning if its the right thing as sometimes I go into like really depressed/anxious moods when shopping for example, end up crying in a toilet and just want to go home. Although Im 22 I feel that if I give moving out of home a go I won't be able to cope with the stress/routine, anxiety will increase, will move back home and my confidence will be even lower. For the last 4 years Ive quit jobs, slept most of the day and been awake all night (ive tried to get a normal sleeping pattern but just feel on edge/low during the day) so its going to be a massive change and feel so weird Ive no idea if I'l cope. What do you think?:confused: Im sick of living at home really Ive no friends and just at a dead end.

Also sometimes Im excited at the thought of the new experience and the thought of gaining confidence but other times I think what the hell am I doing ive quit everything else what makes me think I'l cope with this, expecially when the accomodation is situated in the middle of roads and run down buildings which just depress me. Im more for peace and countryside and an introvert which doesn't help I went clubbing once and hated it.

just go

ReputationRep:
    Take lots of pretty pictures and tumbleweed. it makes you feel more relaxed and happy. And try not to think about it.

ReputationRep:
    I've suffered from slight anxiety problems in the past, though perhaps not as extensive as yours, and yes, I too worry about going to university, moving out, being in a new environment and all of that. In a bid to change my ways, I booked a two and a half week trip to Thailand- by myself- and was determined that I wouldn't be anxious or worry about it.

If I'm honest, I spent most of the couple of months leading up to the trip being anxious about it. I was very, very close to just cancelling the whole thing, thinking that by doing so my anxiety would stop. But that's not the way to deal with it, because if you stop yourself doing something that is making you anxious, then something else will come up that will cause the same reaction.

So, I went on my trip, all on my lonesome halfway across the world, and it was amazing. Some of the best weeks of my life. And ever since then, my anxiety levels have been a lot lower.

What I'm trying to say is that if you go out there and DO something, then once you're doing it you're more than likely going to realise that there's nothing to BE anxious about- you just deal with it as it comes along! As an old workmate of mine once said, (after she had told me her story of having seen her best friend murdered before her own eyes in the country where she used to live), 'when you come to water, you will swim'. You will deal with things as they come along. So move out, take a chance, and who knows? It might be one of the best decisions you've ever made.

ReputationRep:
    Face your fears and have an open mind. The scariest things are sometimes the things most worth doing. Trust me, if you go in with an open mind etc then you'll probably love it! You're only 30 mins from home. ANYTIME you feel bad, you can go straight back. You'll make friends, become more self-sufficient and grow in confidence and self-esteem. It sounds like it would be a really good, albeit scary move for you. You're 22, you're young enough to change so do it for yourself and be happier. And if you don't like it, so what?! You tried.

Oh my god, i thought i was the only one to have a bit of a fear of fainting! I''ve fainted a couple of times too, and sometimes i get really anxious that it will happen again...Anyway, I deffinatly think you should move into uni. Of course you will be extremely anxious at first, you won't be very happy and you might even make yourself feel faint. But this will only last for about a day, you'll get through it and you'll start to feel much much better when you get into a routine. In a way, you'll have to make things worse in order to get better. By putting yourself in a situation that will make you feel extremely anxious and a bit sad, after you realise that nothing bad is going to happen to you, you will realize that it's not so bad after all. You'd be proud that you achieved to do it and you'll feel like hardly anything will make you anxious again. So, by going to live in uni, it will actually make you much happier. And then when you're anxiety begins to sieze abit, you'll be able to make real friendships and have more fun. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm exactly the same. I completely understand the point about not caring what other people think of you because you're too preoccupied with battling the constant internal anxiety. I suggest moving out and giving it a go, you can always move back home if you don't like it. Commuting can be vey tiring and your anxiety may be worse than just staying close to uni, once you get used to living there, things might get easier.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.