Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Internet relationships? What do I make of this? watch

Annoymous or delete please. (embarrassing thank-you)

(Sorry if this is really long).

So a while ago I met this girl online through a game, and we got on pretty well so one day she added my on facebook etcc...and we chatted every night till like 3-4am and got really close through the course of 4-5 months then suddenly she wasn't feeling well (sick) then kinda went missing.

For one thing she lives in a different country so I"m not saying anything would have happened, and this whole thing sounds sketchy I know. But the thing is that she hasn't blocked me from facebook/aim/etc and still comes online, but just doesn't respond to my replies (though haven't tried to e-mail/contact her in a long while).

I can understand that LDR don't work especially ones where people are this far apart, and having someone physically there is always better.

But just leaving without saying anything one day has been driving me crazy, and I just want to know what happened. Some sort of closure? Is it a good idea trying to contact her? Or should I just let it be?

Any advice? Appreciate the help.

Or this could be the work of some sick/bored 50 year old man messing with guys like me! I don't know...Its the internet after all.

regards,

Internet relationships are never real, just don't even go there mate. Make yourself busy, try to get over it and don't do it again. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the comment above. Internet stuff rarely works out. Count your lesson and move on.

ReputationRep:
    Girls dont exist on the internet.
    They do exist in gaming, but helllll noooo you wouldnt want to go there.
    Lucky escape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Watch Out For Sharks)
    Girls dont exist on the internet.
    They do exist in gaming, but helllll noooo you wouldnt want to go there.
    Lucky escape.
    Hehehe, so true.

ReputationRep:
    you never know who the hell is on the other side of the keyboard! as these lot have said, count yourself lucky. move on mate!

ReputationRep:
    You got lucky

Someone i know had a 'encounter' with a girl on-line which got to the point where they met on webcam and got naked. The girl let him do it first, and the whole time the girl never really liked him and talked to him in the first place for a joke so she print screened an image of his private parts that he was showing to her and published it on facebook! He got ripped apart for months.

I think its ok though to talk to a girl online as long as you've actually met them, and there been a bit of chemistry between you.

ReputationRep:
    Internet relationships are by far the most deceiving things ever.
    I have read several articles in the NY times a few years ago about FBI agents entering chat rooms pretending to be teenage minors to track down paedophiles.
    Plus, a lot of my friends do it as a joke- they go online use a random girl's dp and flirt around with randomers. One of them used on of our teachers' pictures and opened an account on hi5 and had some rather seductive description in the About Me section.

Yet for some it can be a true blessing. I personally know 2 couples who got married although their primary introduction was through the internet.

Its caveat emptor my friend. Do it at your own risk.

ReputationRep:
    Um, internet relationships do work. I have a friend whose girlfriend lives in Belgium and they've been together for five years.

However, this sounds a bit weird. Maybe she got freaked and just didn't think it was right? I'm sorry OP but I don't think you should keep trying to resurrect it.

ReputationRep:
    There's a difference between continuing with a relationship through the internet when its unavoidably an LDR, compared to one which starts off via the internet.

ReputationRep:
    internet relationship can work for some people, met my bf online and then actually found out later he worked in the same building as me lol.

you could try contacting her to see whats happening

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahnaf.c)
    There's a difference between continuing with a relationship through the internet when its unavoidably an LDR, compared to one which starts off via the internet.
    There is also a difference between one that is solely on the internet (such as OP) and one that starts off via the internet and turns into a genuine LDR (like me and my GF)

ReputationRep:
    I make it out too be very sad and must be one hell of a tease :L its there but you cannot have it lol

Haha thank-you for the advice guys! You guys never disappoint. Really cheered me up! I should really be worried about school work right now anyways.

To be fair the whole thing wasn't very sexual so I probably wouldn't do the whole webcam thing anyways. That and she was (suppose to be at least) almost 10 years older than me, but lets hope the FBI doesn't come knocking on my door :P.

Ahhh but at the same time its sooooo temping to message her/him/it and find out! lol

I need a life....

regards,

ReputationRep:
    Email her or something & ask why she stopped talking to you.

ReputationRep:
    Internet relationships do work if you find a right person.Ive met my bf online and he is also from a different country.We have been together for 4 years now,so it is possible.
    However,it is very very hard to be apart

ReputationRep:
    They don't work. You can talk all the time and feel really close to that person but you will never meet, especially because you live in different countries. You can't be in a relationship with someone if you've never met them, despite what some people might say.
    Make sure she's genuine, get her on webcam. You can keep her as someone to talk to as it's nice to have someone like that. But don't stop looking for love because of her. It won't work out.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.