Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Early last year I might a guy on facebook. We and so much in common an I surprise myself that I could tell someone so much. But the problem was....he lived in Dubai. He came over here in the summer and we met and it wasn't long before we both felt hea over heels in love.

He suggested we be in relationship....I was wary because I'm a pessimistic person and the distance was alot. But he reassured me and I loved him so we gave it a go. For six months we talked everyday online, about everything, going on cam and voice etc. I've had problems with anxiety and things in the past but he really helped me with advice and I felt better that I had someone who cared so much. He planned to come visit me again soon, and even to come here and study.

But on sunday he suddenly changed and said he loved me too much to hurt me. He says if we carried on like this, we would go more and more inlove and we mostly likely wouldn't be able to be together, because of his parents and everything. I'm devastated, I trusted him so much an now he won't even talk to me because he's thinking ahead to marriage now, which I find ridiculous as we are 18. I told him anything can change, I'll go to uni and not have time maybe and we'd drift apart naturally, this way just seems forced.......but he was adament that ending now will hurt me less. He said he doesn't want me wasting my life for him.

I amin a state of confusion and can't think properly, only cry. I need an outsiders prospective to tell me what they think about this. I'm too upset to tell people I know the full story, I thought this might be easier. Can anyone tell me what they think and advise me what I should do now??

He "loves me too much to be with me" obviously not then. I gurantee he has something to hide.

ReputationRep:
    the reason he is saying that is becuase he does not want to hurt you, hes having an affair, dig some history you will find out.

ReputationRep:
    For a long distance relationship to work, you both need to want it to work, and both try so hard. The thought that you might drift apart, it seems as if this is just any normal relationship, so why prolong it if you are expecting to break up anyway :dontknow:. Especially if you get into a relationship with someone from a different country -- or even continent as you have, you have to remember that they will have different customs than we have, and by them, it might be normal to think of marriage at such a young age, and if there is a clash in culture, it might be too difficult for him for something as big as this, especially if he is wanting the permission of his parents too.

ReputationRep:
    Excuse.

ReputationRep:
    If it seems too ridiculous to be true, it probably is. From my experience, if someone has given me a reason for something that seems blatantly counter intuitive, they're lying (and are very bad at it, to boot).

The excuse given to the OP is like boycotting a restaurant because their food is too good, or firing a worker for being too good at their job. It's a transparent attempt to break up with you without making you hate him, and as Genocidal says, he is almost certainly hiding something.

It's one of those excuses that is so utterly ludicrous that he may well be wanting you to believe it on the grounds that no liar would be stupid enough to try saying that given the multitude of other, more plausible excuses available to him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iota Null)
    If it seems too ridiculous to be true, it probably is. From my experience, if someone has given me a reason for something that seems blatantly counter intuitive, they're lying (and are very bad at it, to boot).

The excuse given to the OP is like boycotting a restaurant because their food is too good, or firing a worker for being too good at their job. It's a transparent attempt to break up with you without making you hate him, and as Genocidal says, he is almost certainly hiding something.

It's one of those excuses that is so utterly ludicrous that he may well be wanting you to believe it on the grounds that no liar would be stupid enough to try saying that given the multitude of other, more plausible excuses available to him.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    I Think he might be honest. He may love you. But if he has to marry an Indian girl. Or his parents are seeking a girl for him. He may feel that he has been but in a position where he has to choose.. his Entire family or the women he loves. But maybe he just needs some reassurance in your comittment or thinks mom and dad will care more than they really do. Most parents today value the happiness of there chirdren over tradition. However I do know some who feel they need to go home to find a bride and leave there girlfriends behind

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.