Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

OASC approacheth at a fast rate of knots..... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theo1977)
    Get changed in the loo around Doncaster.
    Do most people arrive suited? When I suggested i'd arrive in my suit in our last meeting he specifically said smart casual would be fine upon arrival at Cranwell. Guess it's not a huge deal either way really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neildo)
    Do most people arrive suited? When I suggested i'd arrive in my suit in our last meeting he specifically said smart casual would be fine upon arrival at Cranwell. Guess it's not a huge deal either way really.
    Okay - in reality, the only people you will see before you get to your room (and have a chance to change) will be a) the bus driver, b) the man in the guard room, and c) the scary woman with the big hair at the candidate's mess reception. You will have plenty of time to change before the welcome presentation.

HOWEVER, you can never guarantee that none of the Boarding officers will be kicking around. You CAN just about guarantee that every other candidate will be in a suit (or perhaps shirt / tie / black trousers combo for the youngsters who don't own a suit yet) when they arrive.

It is entirely up to you. Personally, I'd play it safe and wear a suit - apart from anything else, it makes you recognisable to other candidates.

You certainly won't get sent home if you arrive in a smart chinos / shirt / jumper combo, but you might feel more comfortable if you're dressed the same as the majority of candidates.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Whilst Theo appears to have a broomstick up his butt, most of the people at OASC don't. Collared shirt and trousers will do you fine for travel wear.

ReputationRep:
    He asked if most people wear a suit, and the answer to that is yes. I'm not sure why giving him some additional info that might help him reach a decision is suddenly a bad thing.

I do not have a broomstick up my butt. Nor am I a "he".
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    Whilst Theo appears to have a broomstick up her butt, most of the people at OASC don't. Collared shirt and trousers will do you fine for travel wear.
    Neildo asked about a suit, despite being clearly told that smart casual was fine. Smart casual is fine for travel. I'd rather the chap arrived a little more relaxed than worrying about someone spilling something down his suit on the journey. THEN he'd be flapping.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Bring 2 suits?

I wouldn't take an ounce of advice on what to wear from anyone other than OASC, but I don't think there's much harm in wearing a suit there. I did, it was my only one, and I still passed my interview!

I'm pretty sure the bus driver doesn't have any input into the board's decision though, so you could get away with anything.

ReputationRep:
    I went for the two suit option and the wonder of the iron still holds up. Nothing beats a crisp set of creases and well brushed shoes. At the end of the day you have been given advice from the afco and several serving officers and recent aplicants and the advice varies so it is up to you. A good chance to practice your decision making and leadership skills.

Good luck with the selection. H&R 84

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies ladies & gents, I shall indeed go with the advice given to me in person by my SCLO.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies. I was gonna take two suits anyway and I think I might wear trousers, shirt and a smart jumper perhaps to travel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    Given that you've not been to OASC yet, you can't really say the book is of any use.

I should quantify that by saying I don't agree with any of the 'pay for advice' deals. Everything is available out there for free - you just have to look a bit wider and use your nouse a bit.
    Given that I'm comparing the two tools as I have both I think that qualifies me to pass judgement based on their content, or does it not? Irrelevant of going to OASC the difference in depth surely is adequate enough for me to base my opinion and reasoning on?

ReputationRep:
    That depends. One might be very in-depth but totally irrelevant, the other might be very lightweight but bang on the money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theo1977)
    That depends. One might be very in-depth but totally irrelevant, the other might be very lightweight but bang on the money!
    True, it doesn't seem irrelevant as far as what I know comes up from what people have said and what I've been told, I just found it more useful is all, was just offering the website up there as the previous one was mentioned and as i've seen both (the larger in-depth one being the cheaper as well) thought I would just offer that outlet and my opinion on the matter. Wasn't really expecting to get shot-down in such a conceited manner from when I originally posted.

I guess it's up to each person (that's willing to pay!) as to what they may find most useful, but as for the one I used it was actually recommended by a guy from the AFCO on the station visit I went on yesterday as well, he mentioned he'd sat in on OASC a couple of times (Not taken part) and that the site was very useful and gave you a full rundown and breakdown - Which it does.

ReputationRep:
    Little heads up for people with OASC soon. As i'm sure you know the interview covers air power and it's use in Afghan. I'm sure you'll all be well aware of what is currently deployed and what their roles are but in this the new March Combat Aircraft mag theres a 16 page supplement on air power in Afghan. Covers a lot of stuff on the yanks but also has a section on British air power and the ISAF partnership out there.....may well be worth a read.

ReputationRep:
    Further to that, there is also an article in this weeks Flight Global magazine on the effectiveness of the GR4 force out in Afghanistan.

If you don't get the issue, no doubt it can be found online too from next week.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.