Turn on thread page Beta

Operation "Blessing" : PeeWeeDan prays hard to Obama watch

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8466995.stm

"Republican Scott Brown has won a shock victory in the race for the US Senate seat in Massachusetts left vacant by Democrat Edward Kennedy's death.

The result is a huge blow to President Barack Obama, whose healthcare reform programme is now in doubt. "

ReputationRep:
    I know, it's wonderful :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Democracy!

ReputationRep:
    Obama's reign of terror? I must have been missing something here. Most of what I've seen from America has been the Democrats ineffectually trying to pass things in the Senate and then looking unhappy because they don't have a big enough supermajority.

ReputationRep:
    Obama = Osama? Terrorist! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joy Division)
    Obama = Osama? Terrorist! :woo:
    Hussein? :yep:

ReputationRep:
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Time for Obama to go to war.
    War is good for votes.
    He should declare war on Canada.
    On the first day of the Vancouver Winter Olympics...to show them who is boss?

ReputationRep:
    Americans are an absolute bunch of dicks
    They vote a man into power then vote against the reforms which they voted him in for.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely excellent news. Maybe we'll have some balance when the Democrats lose this supermajority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    Obama's reign of terror? I must have been missing something here. Most of what I've seen from America has been the Democrats ineffectually trying to pass things in the Senate and then looking unhappy because they don't have a big enough supermajority.
    That's what constitutes a reign of terror these days. You know, if you're a right-wing nutjob.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    This.

Obama hasn't pushed through the reforms he promised. He too much of a consensus guy. If even the watered down Health Reform legislation isn't passed it's going to damage the rest of his Presidency, and truely hurt the long term prospects of the country.

This is so depressing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    Americans are an absolute bunch of dicks
    They vote a man into power then vote against the reforms which they voted him in for.
    The public aren't voting against healthcare reform, Congress is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    Absolutely excellent news. Maybe we'll have some balance when the Democrats lose this supermajority.
    1 Senate seat constitutes a 'Super Majority'? Being held ransom to Joe Liberman hardly constitutes absolute power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    The public aren't voting against healthcare reform, Congress is.
    Yes and the public knew what would come if they voted this guy in - one more seat against reform.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinematographic)
    1 Senate seat constitutes a 'Super Majority'? Being held ransom to Joe Liberman hardly constitutes absolute power.
    They have both houses, and one house is fillibusterproof... sounds pretty super to me. I just hope 2010 knocks him down a peg.

ReputationRep:
    This.

Obama hasn't pushed through the reforms he promised. He too much of a consensus guy. If even the watered down Health Reform legislation isn't passed it's going to damage the rest of his Presidency, and truely hurt the long term prospects of the country.

This is so depressing.
    Yes, because nationalised universal healthcare is the only possible way any healthcare system can work anywhere...

ReputationRep:
    1 Senate seat constitutes a 'Super Majority'?
    Brown's election means the Democrats lose their 60 seat majority in the Senate, which means they don't now have 3/5 (60/100 seats) of the voting power which just happens to be the threshold for closing debate on a proposal. So even if all the Democrats vote in favour of closing debate on something, it still wouldn't be enough to actually do it - they'd need some Republican support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Yes, because nationalised universal healthcare is the only possible way any healthcare system can work anywhere...
    No, it isn't. And Obama's proposal is -miles- away from Nationalised Universal Healthcare.

ReputationRep:
    This 'beefcake' fellow seems particularly annoying.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.