Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Operation "Blessing" : PeeWeeDan prays hard to Obama watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    They have both houses, and one house is fillibusterproof... sounds pretty super to me. I just hope 2010 knocks him down a peg.
    The Senate is only fillibuster proof if they can actually get all of their Senators plus Libermann to agree. This is clearly not the case for anything even vaguely controversial. What exactly have the Democrats done that needs knocking down a peg? Like I said earlier in the thread, all I've seen them doing is being ineffectual.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't good, I really hope they manage to push through the healthcare reforms...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    The Senate is only fillibuster proof if they can actually get all of their Senators plus Libermann to agree. This is clearly not the case for anything even vaguely controversial. What exactly have the Democrats done that needs knocking down a peg? Like I said earlier in the thread, all I've seen them doing is being ineffectual.
    Well I want Obama personally put down a peg, I dislike his agenda - not necessary that of the Democrat party. I would consider myself a hawkish blue dog more than a Republican.

ReputationRep:
    Well I want Obama personally put down a peg, I dislike his agenda - not necessary that of the Democrat party. I would consider myself a hawkish blue dog more than a Republican.
    What's his agenda?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    What's his agenda?
    To free the slaves, of course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8466995.stm

"Republican Scott Brown has won a shock victory in the race for the US Senate seat in Massachusetts left vacant by Democrat Edward Kennedy's death.

The result is a huge blow to President Barack Obama, whose healthcare reform programme is now in doubt. "
    I truly hope that you are joking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prussianking666)
    I truly hope that you are joking.
    He's lost a crucial seat because now he needs some Republican support.

ReputationRep:
    He's lost a crucial seat because now he needs some Republican support.
    Yeah he always did, pitty the senate is full of idiots like Bachman, who believe everything that Limbaugh says.

The GOP are full of incompetent morons. (the democrats have Harry reid so not much better)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prussianking666)
    Yeah he always did, pitty the senate is full of idiots like Bachman, who believe everything that Limbaugh says.

The GOP are full of incompetent morons. (the democrats have Harry reid so not much better)
    Yes... all Republican senators are idiots... and you are a genius.

ReputationRep:
    hurray! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Yes... all Republican senators are idiots... and you are a genius.
    well I'm no genius but thank you for agreeing with my point. thats very kind.

ReputationRep:
    They have both houses, and one house is fillibusterproof... sounds pretty super to me. I just hope 2010 knocks him down a peg.
    knocks him down a peg from what?? From not being able to pass his reforms? Doesn't sound like much of a peg to me, sounds like he's fallen off the damn ladder...

ReputationRep:
    If you're not a fan of Obama, I understand.

But "reign of terror" is a tad OTT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieBee_90)
    If you're not a fan of Obama, I understand.

But "reign of terror" is a tad OTT.
    I restrained myself...you don't see "anti-Christ" in the title of the thread, do you?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry Obama. At least you will always be remembered!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Yes, because nationalised universal healthcare is the only possible way any healthcare system can work anywhere...
    I'm not in favour of the states adopting an NHS system. You can't though argue that the US system isn't in need of reform. Some of the practices of insurance companies are not in the least bit fair. And the US spends an exorbitant amount on health care as a proportion of GDP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Brown's election means the Democrats lose their 60 seat majority in the Senate, which means they don't now have 3/5 (60/100 seats) of the voting power which just happens to be the threshold for closing debate on a proposal. So even if all the Democrats vote in favour of closing debate on something, it still wouldn't be enough to actually do it - they'd need some Republican support.
    Your right. That was the theory but in practice Democrats in more conservative states were less inclined to tow the line on many issues; from global warming to health care. The filibuster wasn't all it was made out to be.

Also Obama himself hasn't gone after even the deeply unpopular banking sector, his a consensus man who doesn't do controversy, and his not as left leaning as his made out to be. He got into the health care debate late in the game despite being one of his election platforms.

I'm essentially questioning the premise of the thread. That Obama is a tyrannical lefty who has dominated US politics for a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    I restrained myself...you don't see "anti-Christ" in the title of the thread, do you?
    :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    No, it isn't. And Obama's proposal is -miles- away from Nationalised Universal Healthcare.
    Even the original proposals were not even close to an NHS system.

Today insurance companies practice dirty tricks like upping the premium for small businesses who find one of their employees developing a serious or terminal illness forcing the company to fire the employee. No job-no-healthcare. Until their impoverished in which case they qualify. :rolleyes:

I'm in favour of insurance and patient choice but it has to be a level playing field. And Americans who are not wealthy but not dirt poor either need cover.

ReputationRep:
    I'm frankly astonished. Massacheussetts electing a Republican? What is this ********?

Boston is the most liberal city in the entire US, or at least is reputed to be.

******* Republicans.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.