Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Germans are not stereotypically anything, because you can't apply a stereotype to 80 million unique individuals.
    Yes, you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    Yes, you can.
    No, you can't :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    No, you can't :facepalm:
    surely thats the meaning of stereotype
    if he meant every german person is X, Y or Z then the title would be "germans are...."
    but this is for the stereotypical german, hell i think everyone knows that one doesnt imply the other and that being born german doesnt mean you have to grow up to wear a funny overall thing and drink beer and eat sausages, just like because we are british doesnt mean we have to drink tea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    surely thats the meaning of stereotype
    if he meant every german person is X, Y or Z then the title would be "germans are...."
    but this is for the stereotypical german, hell i think everyone knows that one doesnt imply the other and that being born german doesnt mean you have to grow up to wear a funny overall thing and drink beer and eat sausages, just like because we are british doesnt mean we have to drink tea.
    Well, my dad drinks beer and eats sausages(:lol:) but still, stereotypical thinking leads to wrong conclusions :p:

ReputationRep:
    Read this in the German paper this morning. Can see why it got banned but to be honest, they're just direct and blunt.

ReputationRep:
    "We considered that the portrayal suggested that German people were more likely to be unreasonable or aggressive to others"

:mmm:

I wonder if one about Germans aggressively occupying sunbeds would be allowed :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)

I wonder if one about Germans aggressively occupying sunbeds would be allowed :p:
    ha thats a classic

ReputationRep:
    Ugly Fat And Gay

ReputationRep:
    Germans are not stereotypically anything, because you can't apply a stereotype to 80 million unique individuals.
    Don't be so bloody stupid, everybody knows that literally everyone in France, for example, rides around on a bike wearing a Breton shirt, beret, mime make-up, baguette in the front basket and a ring of garlic and onions around their neck whilst simultaneously surrendering and eating cheese, usually Brie.

Moron.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christian_j)
    Don't be so bloody stupid, everybody knows that literally everyone in France, for example, rides around on a bike wearing a Breton shirt, beret, mime make-up, baguette in the front basket and a ring of garlic and onions around their neck whilst simultaneously surrendering and eating cheese, usually Brie.

Moron.

You're right - I need to go find my Bowler Hat and go for a drive to the local pub in my union-jack-coloured mini with my bulldog. Might go watch a game of footie and then go shopping for a new monocle.

ReputationRep:
    You're right - I need to go find my Bowler Hat and go for a drive to the local pub in my union-jack-coloured mini with my bulldog. Might go watch a game of footie and then go shopping for a new monocle.
    Sounds exciting actually...meanwhile, I'll just try to drown my sorrow in cheap vodka,

ReputationRep:
    Indubitably. Pip-pip old bean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    Sounds exciting actually...meanwhile, I'll just try to drown my sorrow in cheap vodka,
    In Soviet Russia, Sorrows drown YOU!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    Well, my dad drinks beer and eats sausages(:lol:) but still, stereotypical thinking leads to wrong conclusions :p:
    Without some accepted commonality of behaviour, values and culture between people, nations would not exist. What makes German people German or British people British? More than just a legal status in most cases. That's national culture - and Jerry's national culture involves guzzling sausage, swilling lager, wearing dungarees or similar attire and a penchant for military uniforms (oddly enough, never involving any sort of dungarees)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    It is ridiculous.
    So many things cannot be done because of national stereotypes...

Britain is probably one of the only countries that doesn't complain - We are always portrayed as the posh sounding evil Villain in Hollywood films.
    I want to be that villain. Though ofc I would win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    "We considered that the portrayal suggested that German people were more likely to be unreasonable or aggressive to others"

:mmm:

Only if you want to start WW3

ReputationRep:
    turkish

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.