Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/avas/
    (2009-2010 access course)
    From the official Access Course specification booklet.

Short Version:
    1. More than 60 credits is not officially recognised (any additional credit is not recognised as part of an Access to HE diploma)
    2. Only 45 credits are graded (the total volume eligable for grading is constant at 45 credits)

(^exact words in italics)
    Why didn't our tutors tell us this?! lol

And why am I taking 96 credits worth of assignments?
    Is it purely because of the opportunity to improve and therefore only the highest 45 credits worth of grading goes on the diploma?
    I guess so...:woo:

I already have 33 credits at distinction. So if I continue to get distinctions in the current assignments, I will not have to do any work for like 5 months (just the exams) :lol:

ReputationRep:
    one of the guys on my access course had an offer from Queen Mary for 73 credits at level 3 so I would just aim to get as many credits at level 3 as possible

ReputationRep:
    I think we have picked the worst year to do Access, our college is working strictly to the system that op mentioned and has been since September.
    However some of the uni's don't seem to have caught up yet.
    I know students who have had rejections already because the university is still working to the old system where you could get loads of credits (Sheffield Hallam).
    I was really surprised when I saw on here that people were doing loads of credits, cos they just won't let us at our college. We do 45 L3 credits .....thats it.....a few people have managed to squeeze a few more out of them, but only 6 more at most. All are graded, but the part time 2nd year students have ungraded credits from last year and graded ones this year. Very messy!

ReputationRep:
    WOW an offer for 73 credits lol That's quite epic!
    Yes, this must be the worst year for access :lol:

The universities are WAY WAY confused about access. They are doing many things that they are not allowed to do in regard to offers...

(Original post by Access Course Specification)
    Thus, while some students may be able to accumulate credits which are additional, or at a higher level, to those which are required for the award of the Access to HE Diploma, these credits cannot be made part of the generic qualification or individual award requirements. If students achieve credits which are in excess of the required achievement (either in number or level), this is indicated on the credit transcript which is issued to students.
    (Original post by Access Course Specification)
    any additional credit is not recognised as part of an Access to HE diploma
    (Original post by Cambridge University Admissions Policy)
    The majority of Access courses structured in this way should enable students to get at least 45 credits at Level 3, some students take more, especially the bright ones.
    (Original post by Quality Assurance Agency for HE)
    An offer which
    requires a student to achieve more than 60 credits on an Access to HE programme is therefore
    unachievable for most students
    Talk about confusing... and potentially unfair? The quote from Cambridge is complete lulz

ReputationRep:
    Oh my goodness, you must have a lot of credits per assignment to have gained all those! I get 3 per assignment!

I have applied to QMUL for law but I can't find anyone thats got in on an access course! Lots of uni's say no entry unless every Level 3 is a distinction and when my tutor called Westminster, as they required 63 credits at Level 3 apparently, for the more popular courses, they have the right not to accept Access students.

Bit of a s*****r if we are all supposed to be equal!

Why do they make it so hard?

:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nonnibear)
    Oh my goodness, you must have a lot of credits per assignment to have gained all those! I get 3 per assignment!
    We also get 3 per assignment. We just do tons of assignments throughout the year

ReputationRep:
    This is the first I've heard of it.

We were told we have to pass every level 3 assignment in 3 subjects to pass the Access course (which totals 54 credits), but level 2 credits are optional - it depends if you need them for the uni course you're applying for.

I've heard some conditional offers are asking for a certain amount of credits over that, even ones asking for a certain amount of them to be merits or distinctions.

ReputationRep:
    Just received my offer from Queen Mary today, they want 75 credits at level 3.

I have a possible total of 81 credits on my access course

ReputationRep:
    I thought the Access course would be much more uniform across the country. My core tutor made it very clear to us that all access courses across the country would be like ours:

Total of 60 Credits.
    57 Level 3 Credits
    3 Level two credits in IT

But it even look like people are studying more than 3 subjects (plus Core). Hmmm. I'll have to ask about the "Only 45 Credits graded", if thats true then I can spend a little less time on the core assignments since the uni's are interested in subjects with theoretical content.

ReputationRep:
    Im abit confused with the credits thing. Everyone on here is saying its changing, yet I wasn't even told it was all changing by the access advisor at my Uni. Think mine as it stands will be

Chemistry 30 credits
    Biology 30 credits
    Level 2 subjects total 27 credits (including a few from a short IT course)

Im going to ask about it abit further.
    To be honest I think it all should be on a level playing field total credits wise, its kind of like applying to Uni with say 45 credits in level 3 and someone else applys to the same degree course with 60... Looks like the person with 60 did better, even though both applicants have done the same work, so is an unfair disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    I am very confused as to why some people are doing so many credits. You only need 60 to pass. my understanding (at least with my college) is that you need 45 at level 3 and the other 15 can be at level 2 although at my college they only teach at level 3. This should be enough. I checked out the access validating site and they tell Universities not to ask a student for more that 60 credits as this is the amount most colleges are able to provide. I don't know if any of you have recieved any offers from universities but my first offer says I need 45 at level 3 and at least 18 at merit or distinction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James77)
    Im abit confused with the credits thing. Everyone on here is saying its changing, yet I wasn't even told it was all changing by the access advisor at my Uni. Think mine as it stands will be

Chemistry 30 credits
    Biology 30 credits
    Level 2 subjects total 27 credits (including a few from a short IT course)

Im going to ask about it abit further.
    To be honest I think it all should be on a level playing field total credits wise, its kind of like applying to Uni with say 45 credits in level 3 and someone else applys to the same degree course with 60... Looks like the person with 60 did better, even though both applicants have done the same work, so is an unfair disadvantage.
    Are you doing the Access to HE diploma (level 3) this year?

If so, did you do level 2 last year?

ReputationRep:
    The Acces course has changed this year. It has become a 'diploma' and is no longer a certificate. The main difference is that the universities are now able to know what grade you get in each module you take. ie Pass, merit, distinction. Before it was just a case of passing the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeonLorenzo)
    Are you doing the Access to HE diploma (level 3) this year?

If so, did you do level 2 last year?
    I am starting in September so havnt started, Im at the enrolment stage
    But went in and saw an access to HE career adviser in January to basically find out alot about my course options etc and what subjects to take/needed for my future degree. She didnt mention anything about the credits system being changed. Was told by whats being called a double science Science course it gives me more credits? after it was mentioned that some Uni's the minimum credits needed is more than 45 so by doing this it allows extra coverage. I am going on a booked infomation event on the 16th which is needed to secure a place, So will find out about it more then.
    This is at Derby University btw.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.