Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just got sent this. Seems rather accurate to me (with the exception of the "hijack an airliner and win a council house" part, as M_E_X pointed out) :P

Nope, all seems accurate.
    Hijackers granted asylum

Let me see if I've got this right…
    IF YOU CROSS THE NORTH KOREAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU GET 12 YEARS HARD LABOUR.
    IF YOU CROSS THE IRANIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU ARE DETAINED INDEFINITELY.
    IF YOU CROSS THE AFGHAN BORDER ILLEGALLY, YOU GET SHOT
    IF YOU CROSS THE SAUDI ARABIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE JAILED.
    IF YOU CROSS THE CHINESE BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU MAY NEVER BE HEARD FROM AGAIN.
    IF YOU CROSS THE VENEZUELAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE BRANDED A SPY AND YOUR FATE WILL BE SEALED.
    IF YOU CROSS THE CUBAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE THROWN INTO POLITICAL PRISON TO ROT.
    IF YOU CROSS THE THAI BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU ARE IMMEDIATELY DEPORTED AFTER A SPELL IN THE MONKEY HOUSE.

IF YOU CROSS THE BRITISH BORDER ILLEGALLY; YOU GET A JOB, A DRIVERS LICENSE, SOCIAL INSURANCE CARD, MONEY FROM SOCIAL SECURITY, FOOD STAMPS, CREDIT CARDS, SUBSIDIZED RENT OR A LOAN TO BUY A HOUSE, FREE EDUCATION AND FREE HEALTH CARE.

Good Day and welcome to a brand new edition of . . ..

'ASYLUM'.
    Today's program features another chance to take part in our exciting competition:
    HIJACK AN AIRLINER
    and win
    A COUNCIL HOUSE !

We've already given away hundreds of millions of pounds and thousands of dream homes, courtesy of our sponsor,
    The British Taxpayer...
    And don't forget, we're now the fastest growing game on the planet.

Anyone can play, provided they don't already hold a valid British Passport, and you only need one word of English:
    'ASYLUM'
    Prizes include all-expenses-paid accommodation, cash benefits starting at £180 a week and a chance to earn thousands more begging, mugging, burgling and accosting drivers at traffic lights.
    This competition is open to everyone buying a ticket or stowing away on one of our partner airlines, ferry companies or Euro star.

No application ever refused - reasonable or unreasonable.
    All you have to do is destroy all your papers
    and remember the magic password:
    'ASYLUM'
    A few years ago, 140 members of a Taliban family from Afghanistan were flown Goat Class from Kabul to our international gateway at Stansted where local law enforcement officers were on hand to fast-track them to their luxury £200-a-night rooms in the fabulous four star Hilton Hotel.... They joined tens of thousands of other lucky winners already staying in hotels all over Britain ......
    Our most popular destinations also include the White Cliffs of Dover and the world famous Toddington Services area, in Historic Bedfordshire.
    If you still don't understand the rules, don't forget, there's no need to phone a friend or ask the audience . .. .
    Just apply for legal aid.
    Hundreds of lawyers, social workers and counsellors
    are waiting to help - for FREE !
    It won't cost you a penny.
    And . .. .
    It could change your life forever.
    So play today.

Iraqi terrorists, Afghan dissidents, Albanian gangsters, pro-Pinochet
    activists, anti-Pinochet activists, Kosovan drug-smugglers, Tamil tigers,
    bogus Bosnians, Rwandan mass murderers, Somali guerrillas...the list is endless
    EVERYONE IS WELCOME - INCLUDING
    ALL YOUR WIVES AND CHILDREN
    COME ON DOWN !

Get along to the airport !
    Get along to the lorry park !
    Get along to the ferry terminal !
    Don't stop in Germany or France !
    All European countries will willingly speed you on your way !
    Come straight to Britain
    And you are:
    **** GUARANTEED ****
    to be one of tens of thousands of lucky winners
    in the easiest game on earth..
    Everyone's a winner,
    when they play
    'ASYLUM'

ReputationRep:
    "HIJACK AN AIRLINER
    and win
    A COUNCIL HOUSE !"

Seems rather accurate to you? Really? You must have a pretty poor view of reality if you subscribe to those views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    "HIJACK AN AIRLINER
    and win
    A COUNCIL HOUSE !"

Seems rather accurate to you? Really? You must have a pretty poor view of reality if you subscribe to those views.
    Well, other than that bit. That's kind of an either/or scenario.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    "HIJACK AN AIRLINER
    and win
    A COUNCIL HOUSE !"

OK, that's an exaggeration, but to rephrase what OP's trying to say (I think) into a question:

Do you think our treatment of asylum seekers is "fair"? I know that's subjective, but I can't really elaborate and remain completely neutral.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppety_Kid)
    OK, that's an exaggeration, but to rephrase what OP's trying to say (I think) into a question:

Do you think our treatment of asylum seekers is "fair"? I know that's subjective, but I can't really elaborate and remain completely neutral.
    Well, a lot of people in Britain think there are "too many immigrants", "immigrants stealing our jobs" etc etc - a view put across strongly by media outlets such as the Daily Mail. I do not have a high view of such media outlets and do not subscribe to their views.

I think that most people can agree that if someone comes as a genuine asylum seeker, and needs our help, then we should help them. Being part of the EU, which has many benefits, means that citizens from other EU countries can come and work here quite easily. Again, whether you think this is good or not, it is part of our agreement of being in the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    Well, a lot of people in Britain think there are "too many immigrants", "immigrants stealing our jobs" etc etc - a view put across strongly by media outlets such as the Daily Mail. I do not have a high view of such media outlets and do not subscribe to their views.

I think that most people can agree that if someone comes as a genuine asylum seeker, and needs our help, then we should help them. Being part of the EU, which has many benefits, means that citizens from other EU countries can come and work here quite easily. Again, whether you think this is good or not, it is part of our agreement of being in the EU.
    OK, let's leave economic migrants who claim to be asylum seekers to one side...along with the "immigrants steal our jobs" debate.

Looking solely at people who claim they're being persecuted in their home country, I can see that "we" (as in "European countries" ) have a moral duty to help them.

However, from what I understand of the rules on claiming asylum, you're supposed to claim it in the first safe country that you land in. Since Britain's an island, I imagine that the majority will have come from somewhere else first - probably France. If that's the case, they shouldn't be claiming asylum in Britain - should we send them back to the "proper" asylum country to claim it there?

I'm not saying that we shouldn't take asylum seekers (we could always negotiate with our "neighbours" later), but currently, it would seem that since we can't detain them whilst their applications are considered, it's perfectly possible that we might not see them again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    I think that most people can agree that if someone comes as a genuine asylum seeker, and needs our help, then we should help them.
    I'm pretty sure asylum seekers are supposed to stop in the first safe country or safest neighbouring country that they reach. My only objection to asylum seekers themselves is that Britain is not that country. The government annoys me infinitely more for making Britain so desirable to asylum seekers with it's more than generous handouts.

Being part of the EU, which has many benefits, means that citizens from other EU countries can come and work here quite easily. Again, whether you think this is good or not, it is part of our agreement of being in the EU.
    Different matter entirely. While I don't like the EU open-doors immigration policy (among other things), I'm not aware of any EU country that people need to leave seeking asylum.

ReputationRep:
    However, from what I understand of the rules on claiming asylum, you're supposed to claim it in the first safe country that you land in. Since Britain's an island, I imagine that the majority will have come from somewhere else first - probably France. If that's the case, they shouldn't be claiming asylum in Britain - should we send them back to the "proper" asylum country to claim it there?

I'm not saying that we shouldn't take asylum seekers (we could always negotiate with our "neighbours" later), but currently, it would seem that since we can't detain them whilst their applications are considered, it's perfectly possible that we might not see them again!
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    I'm pretty sure asylum seekers are supposed to stop in the first safe country or safest neighbouring country that they reach. My only objection to asylum seekers themselves is that Britain is not that country. The government annoys me infinitely more for making Britain so desirable to asylum seekers with it's more than generous handouts.
    Ahh - to be honest I didn't know about that rule (bolded). In that case I agree, Britain is unlikely to be that country.

My main objection to this thread was the ridiculous biased nature of the chain letter you quoted in your OP. I think all countries have a duty to help asylum seekers, providing the seekers are following the rules; and that should be our minimum. In some cases we may have to do more to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    Ahh - to be honest I didn't know about that rule (bolded). In that case I agree, Britain is unlikely to be that country.

My main objection to this thread was the ridiculous biased nature of the chain letter you quoted in your OP. I think all countries have a duty to help asylum seekers, providing the seekers are following the rules; and that should be our minimum. In some cases we may have to do more to help.

Help them if they're following the rules - absolutely. What I object to is that they can live more comfortably than a large number of working class British people, without actually doing any work. Bit of an extreme, but I'm reminded of the case that came to light a while ago where a family of asylum seekers were having a £1,000,000 house rented for them by the council. Probably 99% of people here can't afford a house like that, so why should asylum seekers have it rented for them?

ReputationRep:
    Most people confuse asylum seekers with illegal immigrants. If you're seeking asylum, you do not lead a desireable life. You are in this country because you have (most likely) been abused and persecuted in your country of origin. Britain offers them somewhere to sleep at night and just enough money to survive. They are not allowed to work while they are still seeking asylum which can make life incredibly difficult for them.

I think we have a duty to provide shelter for those who have been mistreated. However I think we should stop taking on asylum seekers who should have quite clearly claimed asylum in France, but the French authorities don't want in their country and release so they can get to the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    Most people confuse asylum seekers with illegal immigrants. If you're seeking asylum, you do not lead a desireable life. You are in this country because you have (most likely) been abused and persecuted in your country of origin. Britain offers them somewhere to sleep at night and just enough money to survive. They are not allowed to work while they are still seeking asylum which can make life incredibly difficult for them.

I think we have a duty to provide shelter for those who have been mistreated. However I think we should stop taking on asylum seekers who should have quite clearly claimed asylum in France, but the French authorities don't want in their country and release so they can get to the UK.
    France probably isn't the first safe country either. If these asylum seekers have got there by land then they will also have been through countries such as Germany, Poland, Czech Republic etc. From the Middle East, where they are likely to originate from if coming here by land, you would probably pass through ten countries before you even got to Fance.

Or, if they've come by boat, then it is likely to be from Africa, quite possibly across the Mediterranean. In that case, they are more likely to reach Italy or Spain first as they are closer to the north coast of Africa. That region is probably quite safe anyway.

Finally, they could have come by air. But then why bother going to France if it's Britain you want to live in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)

woohooo:woo: i found two people now who have a brain

ReputationRep:
    Daily Mail, much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    Daily Mail, much?
    Nope, it's crap.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it's crap.
    It seems a very Daily Mail-ish argument. The ususal panic and hyperbole about how our 'plucky little island' is being overrun with foreigners, and how the liberal pansies like myself are giving them jobs and money and council houses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    "HIJACK AN AIRLINER
    and win
    A COUNCIL HOUSE !"

Well, other than that bit. That's kind of an either/or scenario.
    Not an exaggeration at all. Happened in 2000, nine Afghans hijacked an airplane and flew it to the UK before demanding asylum, which they were given.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4757523.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5244936.stm
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/ma...an.immigration

OP, you might want to hyperlink that on the relevant line in your original post so people know what the hell it's about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    It seems a very Daily Mail-ish argument. The ususal panic and hyperbole about how our 'plucky little island' is being overrun with foreigners, and how the liberal pansies like myself are giving them jobs and money and council houses.
    Don't confuse immigrants with asylum seekers. Immigrants, generally, have the right to be here. I have no problem with that.

Asylum seekers, however, should stop in the first safe country they reach (see previous posts). What really annoys me is that the government seems to overlook this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaceyThe)
    Not an exaggeration at all. Happened in 2000, nine Afghans hijacked an airplane and flew it to the UK before demanding asylum, which they were given.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4757523.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5244936.stm
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/ma...an.immigration

OP, you might want to hyperlink that on the relevant line in your original post so people know what the hell it's about.

Oooh, didn't know about that. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You have to much time on your hands lol

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, didn't know about that. Thanks.
    No worries, it gets worse. Four of the most wanted men for the Rwandan genocide are known to be living in Britain.

E.g, Emmanuel Nteziryayo:

Emmanuel Nteziryayo, the former mayor of the commune of Mudasomwa, is charged with initiating the killings of 85'000 people during the genocide, and of having provided weapons to the Interahamwe (extremist Hutu militia). More than 30 people are reported to have given evidence against him.

In addition to the massacres in Mudasomwa, Nteziryayo is accused of both provoking and leading one of the biggest massacres of the Rwandan genocide, that of 21 April 1994 in the Murambi school. From more than 50'000 people who had sought refuge in the classrooms, only a handful survived the attack by the Interahamwe, who were armed with firearms and machetes.

For three years after leaving Rwanda, Nteziryayo lived in complete anonymity in an apartment in Manchester. He had asked for asylum in Great Britain under false identity for himself, his wife and their five children. His name then appeared on a list of suspects published by the Rwandan government in April 2006.
    http://www.trial-ch.org/en/trial-wat...ryayo_609.html

Claimed asylum on false pretenses, and now will never stand trial thanks to human rights law. There's 3 others of his ilk, there's a wealth of evidence against them (even British police spent time in Rwanda collecting it,) and enough to have them found guilty in a British court.

Not to mention a sprinkling of Eastern European war criminals, and other wanted people from around the world.
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...ocide_Suspects
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-impunity.html

This isn't what our ancestors fought for.:o:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.