Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i have now got all my offers back from the Unis i applied to and i have recieved unconditional offers from UWE and Nottingham Trent however i wanted to go to Brighton and was waiting on them to give me an unconditional as well. However, because i have retakes to do this january they gave me a conditional on the grounds that i get a C in History, but i havent gone to the exams and wont achieve what they want.

Are there any options i can take to get into the uni as i really wanna go there? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do the exam in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    Thats not really an option for me as im going away travelling in March. Is there any other alternative options?

Not really. If you had firmed them, it would be the equivalent to 'missing your offer'. Let them know, and see whether they'll take you anyway. If they won't, firm one of your other unconditionals.

ReputationRep:
    Make up a sympathetic excuse for why you havn't gone to the exams, and hopefully Brighton love you enough to accept you.

Email them now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billy_dupee)
    Thats not really an option for me as im going away travelling in March. Is there any other alternative options?
    Ask for deferred entry and do the exam in 2011?

ReputationRep:
    [dont do deferred entry]

Email them now explaining your situation - i'm sure they'll negotiate something.

Otherwise do the exam in summer, if you received a conditional.. it should state u have to get the required grades by 31st August. How long are you travelling for?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to go to Brighton you need to meet their offer meaning you will have to take the history exam in the summer. Its your call. They've considered your application and obviously decided that they will only take you if you get a C in History - you can't just assume universities will give you certain offers and then hope for the best. You can't ask for deferred entry then do the exam next year because any deferred offer for 2011 needs to be met by the end of August 2010 and if you don't meet it by then you'll be rejected in the same manner as if you wanted to start in 2010. In terms of meeting the offer, deferred entry means nothing.

I highly doubt they will be sympathetic about the fact you didn't go to the exam because you thought they were going to give you an unconditional. If there is an actual reason why you didn't - such as an illness which you have medical evidence for - then this is another matter and you can involve your school and inform them of this, but if there isn't really any reason then you're going to have to decide how much you want to go travelling against how much you want to go to Brighton and take it from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Ask for deferred entry and do the exam in 2011?
    That wouldn't work as all offer conditions in the current cycle have to be met before September 2010.

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't you go to the exam? You won't be able to retake it again if it's from the old syllabus, which is a bit of a bummer. I guess try and negotiate with them? But I don't understand why you didn't go if you needed a better grade in history for your top choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billy_dupee)
    so you'd rather go travelling than go to Brighton uni?...

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.