Turn on thread page Beta

Post anon as people I know use this:

Ok this is quite embarrassing but just wondered people's general thoughts on FB and relationships. I'm at uni so a lot of my life is spent on facebook like it or not (organising events, finding out info about nights out as well as the normal stuff) and though I'm not obsessed with it (I'm sorry but I hate the oversharers - if you're going to post something like 'so and so feels sad ' you just want attention but that's besides the point...), I need some advice on becoming 'facebook offical.'

I was seeing a guy for about three months and we got to the stage where were exclusive. I naturally assumed we'd progress in to a relationship but he freaked out and said he didn't want a girlfriend leaving me quite hurt (as that's sort of what I thought we were by default). Anyway, after us having a proper chat, he decided he didn't want to not be with me and was just concerned I'd be really clingy as he'd had a previous psycho ex. I'm pretty laid back about it all tbh and liked it how it was. When we started term again we never really had the 'talk' about being in a relationship, he just started to refer to me as his gf. I didn't really bring it up and certainly never called him my boyf in front of him but the other day I called him up on it to establish where we were - which is apparantly now in a relationship.

ANYHOW, sorry to waffle with the back story but it's relevant. We're both having fun and everything is good. We're coupley in public and although we haven't announced it to the world, everyone knows. BUT on facebook, we're both still single. I'm embarrassed I even care and it's not like I want it there to announce it or be possessive- i'd rather just have it hidden altogether: I'm not single, and neither is he. It's not like he's doing it to prove a point either as he's made it clear he's with me, I could just remove mine and hope he gets the hint (as i dont want to make a big deal out of it due to the way we started dating) but equally, I'd like him to initiate it. Equally, sometimes I'm so aware of not putting him under pressure with the whole relationship thing I play it a bit too cool accidentally, so he might be taking my lead.

Anyway, as i said before, my life isn't ruled by facebook (too much,lol) and it's a bit cringe to be honest that I even care but it's a little thing that I'm aware of and just wondered people's ideas on it.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just straight up tell him to take the single off Facebook and be done with it? All this emphasis on Facebook official and little matters that DO NOT MATTER and all ...

Your life is semi-dominated by Facebook, as demonstrated by the fact that you "want him to initiate it" and whatnot.

ReputationRep:
    iv honestly been in this situation before aswell bt the only reason was because we both didnt want other people to know bt if it is bothering you then i do think yu shouold ask him to change it bt again it doesnt really make a big difference as long as you both are aware of the relationship you have yu shoudlt let small things get too you too much

ReputationRep:
    Im in a relationship but my facebook still says i'm single.
    I don't really know why i never changed it, but my boyfriend doesn't care. Facebook isn't really a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    It's funny how some people make a deal out of these things. I don't think it would be possessive of you to change your status to "in a relationship", it shouldn't be a big deal. But if you really don't want to and would rather keep it private, then remove your relationship status altogether, it's completely fine. And hopefully he takes the hint, and if not then just talk to him.

ReputationRep:
    just set yours as 'in a relationship' and if he doesn't get the hint in a couple of days, just make a joke about it and be like 'ooooo FB official' and send a relationship request when he's there or something. just be cool.

ReputationRep:
    You can change it yourself if you want and put it to "in a relationship" but just dont put that its with him? I don't know, then he may see and get the hint and change his, then later on, you can put the "in a relationship with..." then have each other's names. Tbh, I doubt he would mind too much, you have been together for a while, its not like its the next day or something!

ReputationRep:
    As above. Just remove the relationship status bit from your profile. If you then 'remove' it from your feed, no-one will even notice.

ReputationRep:
    Facebook should really do away with the relationship status. It just complicates relationships with "ooooh when is it the right time to switch?" and the embarrassment of having to remove it ASAP upon splitting up. Not showing the status makes everything so much easier.

ReputationRep:
    You can simply remove your relationship status on facebook. Leave it blank and it won't appear on your profile.

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend changed her status to "no longer single" and then a few days later when she was at mine, she went on my facebook and edited my information to "in a relationship with [her name]" but didn't submit it, instead waited around for me to 'catch' her doing it and confirm that it would be okay. She's sneaky like that :P

ReputationRep:
    You better change that relationship status ASAP ROFL !!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.