Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Formula Of The Hydrocarbon - Exam Tomorrow, Help if you can. Watch

ReputationRep:
    When 15cm3 of a gaseous hydrocarbon is completely burned in oxygen, 45cm3 of carbon dioxide and 45cm3 of water vapour are obtained, all volumes being measured at same temp. and pressure.
    The formula of the hydrocarbon is?

Answer is C3H6
    But how do you get C3H6?

If you have any idea please write it down.. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedAmy)
    When 15cm3 of a gaseous hydrocarbon is completely burned in oxygen, 45cm3 of carbon dioxide and 45cm3 of water vapour are obtained, all volumes being measured at same temp. and pressure.

Answer is C3H6
    But how do you get C3H6?

4.5 O2 + CxHy --> 3CO2 + 3H2O

3 carbons on the right hand side, so there must be 3 carbons in the hydrocarbon.
    6 hydrogens on right hand side, so there must be 6 hydrogens in the hydrocarbon.

ReputationRep:

Answer is C3H6
    But how do you get C3H6?

You know that, since the volumes of each of the gases are taken at the same temperature and pressure, each volume is directly proportional to the number of moles of substance.

(So the ratio of moles of hydrocarbon : oxygen gas : water vapour is 15 : 45 : 45, or 1 : 3 : 3.)

Now try constructing the balanced equation for the reaction, and see if you can find the formula from that.

EDIT: Too slow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james.h)
    You know that, since the volumes of each of the gases are taken at the same temperature and pressure, each volume is directly proportional to the number of moles of substance.

(So the ratio of moles of hydrocarbon : oxygen gas : water vapour is 15 : 45 : 45, or 1 : 3 : 3.)

Now try constructing the balanced equation for the reaction, and see if you can find the formula from that.

Better explained though.

ReputationRep:

hmm.. still a bit confused how you got the ratio. as we don't know how much o2 was burnt?

CxHy + O2 => CO2 + H20
    15cm3- CxHy
    45cm3 - CO2
    " H2O.

So what do you do then.

Nice and simply.. Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starofale)

3 carbons on the right hand side, so there must be 3 carbons in the hydrocarbon.
    6 hydrogens on right hand side, so there must be 6 hydrogens in the hydrocarbon.
    an where did you get that equation from? :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    an where did you get that equation from? :eek3:
    That's like the definition of combustion. You will always have just two products if the combustion is complete - water and carbon dioxide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antzlck)
    That's like the definition of combustion. You will always have just two products if the combustion is complete - water and carbon dioxide.
    oh i have the equation I wrote it above. I meant where did he get the equation with the 4.5 etc. in front of the hydrocarbon etc.

ReputationRep:
    oh i have the equation I wrote it above. I meant where did he get the equation with the 4.5 etc. in front of the hydrocarbon etc.
    The ratio of
    CO2:H2O:CxHy
    = 45:45:15 (from the volumes of gas)
    = 3:3:1

combustion is:
    O2 + CxHy --> CO2 + H2O

then put in the ration 3:3:1 to try to balance it:
    O2 + CxHy --> 3CO2 + 3H2O

but the number of oxygen atoms is not the same on each side, so to balance it completely:

ReputationRep:

hmm.. still a bit confused how you got the ratio. as we don't know how much o2 was burnt?
    Ah just read james's post more carefully, I guess saying oxygen gas was a mistake - should have been carbon dioxide

ReputationRep:
    Ah just read james's post more carefully, I guess saying oxygen gas was a mistake - should have been carbon dioxide
    ah thats great. So if I get a question like this, then you know both sides are eqaul. and always do ratio. and then formula?!

ReputationRep:
    ah thats great. So if I get a question like this, then you know both sides are eqaul. and always do ratio. and then formula?!
    Yes, chemical equations always have to be balanced - atoms aren't created or destroyed.

ReputationRep:
    :oops:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.