Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mysterieux26)
    Hi,

I am a IB year one student, and would like some help on my Extended Essay subject choices. Our school's pretty messed up at the moment, all the good teachers are leaving. I was originally going to do a Chem EE cuz of my awesome and very experienced IB Chem teacher, but she's leaving at the end of this year.

Therefore, my other choices are:

Biology:
    1. My current biology teacher, but he has no experience in Biology EEs. He supervised one essay- and that essay got a D. Maybe it's because that student didn't work hard, but I'm nonetheless worried.
    2. A random teacher assigned to me.

Chemistry:
    1. IB physics teacher (he's an IB person who wrote the physics textbook, and knows a little bit about chem. But still... he's a physics teacher)

Math:
    1. My teacher's pretty awesome but I'm 100% sure I'm not capable of it.

I'm not considering a language or psychology essay because I am struggling with the normal coursework already.

What do you think?? Thank you all for any help!
    Well, many people have done EEs under the supervision of an "odd" teacher. For example, someone wanted to do Philosophy and had their French teacher supervise since they emphasize philo in the french baccalaureate. I would worry more about picking a topic you are very interested in, that is easy to be innovative in, and were YOU have a good amount of expertise in (or great interest).

Also, small note: It is easier to achieve a higher grade in Language A1/History than the sciences/math. However, if you are not good in those subjects, I'd recommend picking a science. (& Math EEs are difficult for getting an A)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mysterieux26)
    Hi,

I am a IB year one student, and would like some help on my Extended Essay subject choices. Our school's pretty messed up at the moment, all the good teachers are leaving. I was originally going to do a Chem EE cuz of my awesome and very experienced IB Chem teacher, but she's leaving at the end of this year.

Therefore, my other choices are:

Biology:
    1. My current biology teacher, but he has no experience in Biology EEs. He supervised one essay- and that essay got a D. Maybe it's because that student didn't work hard, but I'm nonetheless worried.
    2. A random teacher assigned to me.

Chemistry:
    1. IB physics teacher (he's an IB person who wrote the physics textbook, and knows a little bit about chem. But still... he's a physics teacher)

Math:
    1. My teacher's pretty awesome but I'm 100% sure I'm not capable of it.

I'm not considering a language or psychology essay because I am struggling with the normal coursework already.

What do you think?? Thank you all for any help!
    Do chemistry, finalise your question with your old teacher, research over the summer, then talk to your new teacher.

At least 10 people did this with Psychology at my college.

I did History. Much simpler, plus my teacher is still here.

ReputationRep:
    As ragnar_jonsson pointed out, best off doing something you are interested in, the teacher is really a secondary concern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SOTEK)
    As ragnar_jonsson pointed out, best off doing something you are interested in, the teacher is really a secondary concern.
    Oh, very true. Just read the EE guide v. carefully; make sure to really cover every (petty) thing it asks of the EE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max Hinks)
    Do chemistry, finalise your question with your old teacher, research over the summer, then talk to your new teacher.

At least 10 people did this with Psychology at my college.

I did History. Much simpler, plus my teacher is still here.
    Ahhh Lorna the invisible Psychology lecturer...

anyway OP I agree with max

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.