Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

I have two questions!

I am currently a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Sheffield studying Archaeology with a predicted 2:1 and am considering applying for a masters. I have been put off up to this point as I have no way of funding it. However, if I apply, and then find I am unable to get funding through grants and awards, would I be able to opt out of the masters? It isn't like a contract or anything is it?

Also, my other option is to take a year out from my studies and work full time, and then return to do my MA. If I do this, would it restrict my chances when applying for funding if I haven't been in education for a year?

Thanks,

Dan

ReputationRep:
    Of course you would be able to opt out. In fact if you can't fund it the University won't let you study anyway.

I highly doubt that you will be disadvantaged by taking a gap year. I advise that you speak to your potential academic referees about your plans and that you might contact them in a year to provide a reference.

ReputationRep:
    Most people who do masters tend to do it between about 25 and 40 anyway, its a relativity small number who go straight out of an undergrad into postgrad. Unless of course they start on a MSc, MEng, etc
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Riderz)
    Most people who do masters tend to do it between about 25 and 40 anyway, its a relativity small number who go straight out of an undergrad into postgrad. Unless of course they start on a MSc, MEng, etc
    That's not really what I've noticed in the biological sciences...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    That's not really what I've noticed in the biological sciences...
    Well certainly the business MBAs are like that. Practical experience is valued above academic qualifications and its usually done by people wanting to further their career once they hit a "ceiling" as it were, rather than a continuation of undergrad studies.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Riderz)
    Well certainly the business MBAs are like that. Practical experience is valued above academic qualifications and its usually done by people wanting to further their career once they hit a "ceiling" as it were, rather than a continuation of undergrad studies.
    But the OP wants to study archaeology

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.