Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I sat my A levels last year and got ABB, with an A in Maths and B's in English Lit and Philosophy. I've reapplied this year for English Literature, and I have an offer from Sussex which is conditional on achieving A's in English and Philosophy through resits that I'm doing this year. I'm currently halfway through the English resits, and I'm fairly confident of getting an A. However, for some reason, OCR aren't offering the exams I need to take in Philosophy until June, so I have to wait until then to take them. I really really don't want to do this, for two reasons:

1) It means that the whole of my gap year would be swallowed up by resits, with anxiety and uncertainty extending from when I got my A level results in 2009 to August results day this year.
    2)I was only 8 UMS marks off an A in Philosophy, but the way its worked out is that to be sure of getting an A, I'd have to resit two papers, including a really horrible synoptic paper that would involve revision of all the material I studied over the two-year course.

How likely is it that, come March, once I have an A in English (fingers crossed), Sussex will change the status of my offer to unconditional? Obviously I will write to them giving the reasons which I have outlined here, and hopefully they won't make me retake Philosophy! Any ideas if this is likely to happen? On their website, it says that they make offers of AAA for English, but consider people who have achieved AAB on results day - however, I don't know if this will apply to me as a resit candidate.

I also have offers from Cambridge and UCL, but I really doubt that they would be lax about the Philosophy grade, am I right in assuming this? I think Sussex is where I want to go anyway, and if they would let me off the Philosophy resits it could be the deciding factor...

Sorry for the length of this, any help/advice greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    afaik, UCAS track doesn't change until summer results day, ie. ~15-25 Aug, whatever it is.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's unlikely that Sussex will change their offer - for example, some people might be guaranteed an A in all their subjects by the Jan exams - the universities still wait for results day to confirm this.

Best thing to do would just work hard this year, and get into where you want to go. There's still a massive gap between June and September/October. Plenty of time to go travelling, get a job or whatnot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
    afaik, UCAS track doesn't change until summer results day, ie. ~15-25 Aug, whatever it is.
    But don't individual universities have the power to change the status of your offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    I think it's unlikely that Sussex will change their offer - for example, some people might be guaranteed an A in all their subjects by the Jan exams - the universities still wait for results day to confirm this.

Best thing to do would just work hard this year, and get into where you want to go. There's still a massive gap between June and September/October. Plenty of time to go travelling, get a job or whatnot
    Thanks! The gap year was not unplanned, my offers last year were deferred entry, and I've already had a job and am going travelling next week for 3 months! Just not looking forward to having to come back and start revising again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RaspberryJelly)
    But don't individual universities have the power to change the status of your offer?
    Yes, they can change it. It happens sometimes when they make a mistake with conditional or unconditional offers.

Hey RJ

There is a decent chance Sussex might take AAB, as they are known for being lenient (I'm sure I've told you about my friend who is there doing English and she got ABB on results day) but, if they're prudent they MIGHT ask you to wait until August for them to decide, so they know where they stand with people meeting offers generally.

This sort of ruins the point of letting them know, obviously, as if you're willing to wait til August to know you may as well sit the June exams in Philosophy...But there is a chance that come March they might confirm things anyway, there's no real way of telling for sure.

ReputationRep:
    hey, if you don't mind me asking, how come you're choosing Sussex over Cambridge and UCL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omgmanthissucks)
    hey, if you don't mind me asking, how come you're choosing Sussex over Cambridge and UCL?
    OK, many, many reasons, which I will list in an orderly fashion, because it will help me get my head clear about it too.
    1)The college at Cambridge is one of the all-female ones - I had an offer from them last year (which I lost because of my grades), after being pooled from one of the big old central colleges, and so when I decided to reapply to Cambridge this year I went for that one as I thought I'd be more likely to get an offer (turns out this was a good idea!). Anyway since then I've been having major doubts about the all-girl thing.
    2)I'm not a very hard-working person, which is literally the only reason I didn't get 3 A's the first time round. Even for these resits, I haven't worked as hard as I should have done, I just lack motivation to be honest.
    3)The course at Sussex is a lot more flexible, and offers more assessment through coursework, which I prefer.
    4)Brighton>Cambridge
    5)I don't really want to be in London, and on top of this the UCL course is very similar to the Cambridge course, and I feel like I got my place there through rather unfair circumstances, which I don't really want to go into here.

Sorry, I'd be surprised if you're still reading this but there you go. I need to keep rationalising it!

ReputationRep:
    I sat my A levels last year and got ABB, with an A in Maths and B's in English Lit and Philosophy. I've reapplied this year for English Literature, and I have an offer from Sussex which is conditional on achieving A's in English and Philosophy through resits that I'm doing this year. I'm currently halfway through the English resits, and I'm fairly confident of getting an A. However, for some reason, OCR aren't offering the exams I need to take in Philosophy until June, so I have to wait until then to take them. I really really don't want to do this, for two reasons:

1) It means that the whole of my gap year would be swallowed up by resits, with anxiety and uncertainty extending from when I got my A level results in 2009 to August results day this year.
    2)I was only 8 UMS marks off an A in Philosophy, but the way its worked out is that to be sure of getting an A, I'd have to resit two papers, including a really horrible synoptic paper that would involve revision of all the material I studied over the two-year course.

How likely is it that, come March, once I have an A in English (fingers crossed), Sussex will change the status of my offer to unconditional? Obviously I will write to them giving the reasons which I have outlined here, and hopefully they won't make me retake Philosophy! Any ideas if this is likely to happen? On their website, it says that they make offers of AAA for English, but consider people who have achieved AAB on results day - however, I don't know if this will apply to me as a resit candidate.

I also have offers from Cambridge and UCL, but I really doubt that they would be lax about the Philosophy grade, am I right in assuming this? I think Sussex is where I want to go anyway, and if they would let me off the Philosophy resits it could be the deciding factor...

Sorry for the length of this, any help/advice greatly appreciated.
    I think your position as a resit candidate in particular does weaken the probability that Sussex will let you off the A in philosophy, but it's not likely that they would in March anyway. The best you could hope for would be 'wait and see' until Results Day in August, when they can see how all their offer holders got on. It wouldn't be fair otherwise. You then run the risk that they don't take you after all, and you've missed the opportunity. You can also be absolutely certain that Cambridge and UCL won't let you off that philosophy grade.

I think your best bet is to knuckle down and get that revision done. I realise that it spins out the stress factor - but you're going to have that anyway, and even if you missed your grade you would probably be in a stronger position with Sussex in August having taken the exam, than you would be if you had just not bothered to take it at all.

ReputationRep:
    OK, many, many reasons, which I will list in an orderly fashion, because it will help me get my head clear about it too.
    1)The college at Cambridge is one of the all-female ones - I had an offer from them last year (which I lost because of my grades), after being pooled from one of the big old central colleges, and so when I decided to reapply to Cambridge this year I went for that one as I thought I'd be more likely to get an offer (turns out this was a good idea!). Anyway since then I've been having major doubts about the all-girl thing.
    2)I'm not a very hard-working person, which is literally the only reason I didn't get 3 A's the first time round. Even for these resits, I haven't worked as hard as I should have done, I just lack motivation to be honest.
    3)The course at Sussex is a lot more flexible, and offers more assessment through coursework, which I prefer.
    4)Brighton>Cambridge
    5)I don't really want to be in London, and on top of this the UCL course is very similar to the Cambridge course, and I feel like I got my place there through rather unfair circumstances, which I don't really want to go into here.

Sorry, I'd be surprised if you're still reading this but there you go. I need to keep rationalising it!
    Ahhh, you don't need a big list of reasons. The only ones you need are (a) you like the university, and (b) you can see yourself being happiest there out of all your offers.

I'm sorry I can't help you more with the actual thread, OP, but I'm glad you've finalised your views about which uni you prefer

ReputationRep:
    4)Brighton>Cambridge

Ah I see, those are sensible reasons are your offers for Cambridge and UCL unconditional? Sorry about being nosey, I haven't come across anyone who has decided not to take up an offer from Cambridge lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omgmanthissucks)
    Ah I see, those are sensible reasons are your offers for Cambridge and UCL unconditional? Sorry about being nosey, I haven't come across anyone who has decided not to take up an offer from Cambridge lol
    Yeah, I'd be way more swayed to Cambridge if it wasn't an all-female college. And no they're not unconditional, all the offers I have are asking for 3 A's, which is 2 more than I already have!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.