Turn on thread page Beta

About to pick my firm & insurance D: watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Rightt, im bloody pooping it tbh.
    I've had all five offers, three of which are conditionals and two rejections ¬_¬ I've got offers from De Montfort, Derby & Leeds Met
    De Monfort is 100% my firm choice but i dont know what to pick for my insurance. Both courses are for Journalism and Derby was my backup with 180 points needed which is easyy! But annoyingly they changed my offer too 240 and a C or above in English language and English Literature and a C in GCSE maths (Yeah, i sucked at maths and i've still not passed -_- but ah well) which is a harder offer then firm choice De Montort which only wants 240 points. Leeds Met has offered me a conditional and they want 260 points and a GCSE C in maths.

Which uni should i pick for my Insurance? Derby is considered crap by everybody i know and leeds mets just generally a little bit harder to get into.

Just FYI, you can't be 'offered' a rejection :p: so you haven't got all five offers back... /pedantry.

On a serious note, as Derby have increased the offer rather more than they were expected to for you, don't pick them then! What are the conditions of Leeds Met? My sister did English Literature at Derby and certainly wasn't impressed by a lot of important things about the uni (teaching quality, facilities etc).

I think you pretty much know you want to pick Leeds Met, so what's the issue ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamGee)

Which uni should i pick for my Insurance? Derby is considered crap by everybody i know and leeds mets just generally a little bit harder to get into.

Don't bother with 1. If the offer from DMU is less than the other 2, and you 100% want to go there, then there's no point in having an insurance

ReputationRep:
    all those unis suck, before you make any decision though check unistats.com. for areas such as student satisfaction, percentage of graduates in employment etc. (even male:female ratio, it may be important to you)

also to mirror alexandra123...'s comment above you are not being offered a rejection, it's not up to you to take the rejection or not.

ReputationRep:
    I know its not up to me to take the rejection or not, and personally i beleive its rather rude for you to say all of those unis suck, im sure 40odd thousand people would love to disagree with you on that. Its all down to personal opinion.

I know its not up to me to take the rejection or not, and personally i beleive its rather rude for you to say all of those unis suck, im sure 40odd thousand people would love to disagree with you on that. Its all down to personal opinion.
    Ignore him, he's probably just trying to antagonise you. My advice is either put Leeds Met down as your insurance, or if you're really confident you'll get the grades for DMU just have that as firm with no insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.galloway)
    all those unis suck, before you make any decision though check unistats.com. for areas such as student satisfaction, percentage of graduates in employment etc. (even male:female ratio, it may be important to you)

also to mirror alexandra123...'s comment above you are not being offered a rejection, it's not up to you to take the rejection or not.
    I suggest you get down from your high horse. It's not for you to say.

ReputationRep:

You're an ********, was there any need to say that at all? I'm fairly sure she's happy with the choices she's made and wasn't looking for someone to criticise the universities that she might be spending the next three years of her life at.

Well done.

Also, just adding in what I think you should take in to consideration - Derby city centre is a bit rough and like someone above me said, doesn't have a lot going for it. Leeds on the other hand is a nice city and will have a much better social life etc, also, the university is better for journalism than Derby, even though Derby's NCTJ approved.

ReputationRep:
    in the grand scheme of UK universities unfortunately these universities occupy the bottom half, with only Sheffield Hallam and De Montfort anywhere near the halfway point.

link: http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...rsityguide.php

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the advice and back up guys, galloway, like i stated before.
    I am aware of that, but unfortunately not everyone is an AAA student and can afford to apply to one of the top 20 Unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    You're an ********, was there any need to say that at all? I'm fairly sure she's happy with the choices she's made and wasn't looking for someone to criticise the universities that she might be spending the next three years of her life at.

Well done.

Also, just adding in what I think you should take in to consideration - Derby city centre is a bit rough and like someone above me said, doesn't have a lot going for it. Leeds on the other hand is a nice city and will have a much better social life etc, also, the university is better for journalism than Derby, even though Derby's NCTJ approved.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biglebox)
    No!!!! God knows why I assumed it was a girl, apologies to him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biglebox)
    :nooo: aha i noticed that as well i'm too polite to say anything :vroam:

ReputationRep:
    :nooo: aha i noticed that as well i'm too polite to say anything :vroam:
    Just here to help =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tknight7)
    Don't bother with 1. If the offer from DMU is less than the other 2, and you 100% want to go there, then there's no point in having an insurance
    This. What's the point of having a insurance when the offer will be higher than your firm?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the advice and back up guys, galloway, like i stated before.
    I am aware of that, but unfortunately not everyone is an AAA student and can afford to apply to one of the top 20 Unis.

I know i sounded a little pretentious in the above posts, for this i am sorry, but in my opinion its is always prudent to at least attempt to get into the best unis.

I know i sounded a little pretentious in the above posts, for this i am sorry, but in my opinion its is always prudent to at least attempt to get into the best unis.
    In my opinion it's prudent to keep YOUR opinions to yourself, I can't imagine the OP just chose those universities on a whim and didn't consider others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandra1234567)
    In my opinion it's prudent to keep YOUR opinions to yourself, I can't imagine the OP just chose those universities on a whim and didn't consider others.
    How are my opinions any less valid than yours, you may think they are good i think they are not.

How are my opinions any less valid than yours, you may think they are good i think they are not.
    Your opinion, when it's just insulting, isn't appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandra1234567)
    Your opinion, when it's just insulting, isn't appropriate.
    granted the wording could have been better, but i did apologise in a previous post.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.