Turn on thread page Beta

black people are supposedly "intellectually inferior"? watch

ReputationRep:
    There is no scientific evidence suggesting that Blacks are genetically and/or intellectually inferior. There are plenty of people out there with a mindset much like your own, and they need to do some serious research ASAP.

The reason why Blacks don't do as well as other ethnic groups in the education arena is psychological and social. Did you know that a vast number of Blacks in the Diaspora suffer from an inferiority complex? Did you also know that many Black children are often discouraged from excelling in academics, and academic achievement is not adequately emphasized in many black households? Your assumption that other immigrant communities are exposed to the same tribulations as Blacks are is the epitome of ignorance. Your assumption is depthless simply because other immigrant communities haven't experienced the downfall that Blacks have. The trans-Atlantic Slave trade, as haunting a topic it may be, is the one setback, and greatest setback, Blacks underwent that no other race can identify with. In fact, much of Black people's issues, both social and psychological, can be traced back to slavery. The fact that African-born Blacks (who never experienced Slavery) come to the U.K. and the U.S. and academically outdo every ethnic group here shatters your assertion that Blacks are intellectually inferior - for African-born Blacks are more black (genetically) than Black Brits, and they are at the top of the ladder where education is concerned. It also adds potency to the fact that Blacks in the Diaspora perform poorly due to solely to social and psychological factors.

I quoted this from "Nebechadnezzar" and thought it was the best argument i've seen in explaining why certain black groups don't do as well as others, but i just wanted to get people's views on this whether you agree or disagree etc ...

ReputationRep:
    Riveting tale, chap.

ReputationRep:
    "Did you also know that many Black children are often discouraged from excelling in academics, and academic achievement is not adequately emphasized in many black households?"

The first question is whether this is true. If it is, we would be right to declare blacks as intellectual inferior in only a factual sense as a generalisation.

The important question is whether this is
    1. Inherent
    2. Unsolvable without Government intervention

If the answer to either 1 or 2 then we would be right to declare blacks as intellectual inferior negatively as a generalisation. If black people can't pick themselves up from the ground because they feel inferior in our society today then frankly, I see ridicule as justified.

Oh yeah, and this is nonsense "for African-born Blacks are more black (genetically) than Black Brits, and they are at the top of the ladder where education is concerned."

Please. Use the search function.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmartFool)
    There is no scientific evidence suggesting that Blacks are genetically and/or intellectually inferior. There are plenty of people out there with a mindset much like your own, and they need to do some serious research ASAP.

The reason why Blacks don't do as well as other ethnic groups in the education arena is psychological and social. Did you know that a vast number of Blacks in the Diaspora suffer from an inferiority complex? Did you also know that many Black children are often discouraged from excelling in academics, and academic achievement is not adequately emphasized in many black households? Your assumption that other immigrant communities are exposed to the same tribulations as Blacks are is the epitome of ignorance. Your assumption is depthless simply because other immigrant communities haven't experienced the downfall that Blacks have. The trans-Atlantic Slave trade, as haunting a topic it may be, is the one setback, and greatest setback, Blacks underwent that no other race can identify with. In fact, much of Black people's issues, both social and psychological, can be traced back to slavery. The fact that African-born Blacks (who never experienced Slavery) come to the U.K. and the U.S. and academically outdo every ethnic group here shatters your assertion that Blacks are intellectually inferior - for African-born Blacks are more black (genetically) than Black Brits, and they are at the top of the ladder where education is concerned. It also adds potency to the fact that Blacks in the Diaspora perform poorly due to solely to social and psychological factors.

I quoted this from "Nebechadnezzar" and thought it was the best argument i've seen in explaining why certain black groups don't do as well as others, but i just wanted to get people's views on this whether you agree or disagree etc ...
    Source please.

ReputationRep:
    There is no scientific evidence suggesting that Blacks are genetically and/or intellectually inferior.
    What about the American trans-racial adoption studies?

ReputationRep:
    There is no scientific evidence suggesting that Blacks are genetically and/or intellectually inferior.
    Any directed google search will say the opposite.

There is evidence. Whether the conclusion is correct is another matter entirely. You've gone some way to arguing why the conclusion would be correct, but frankly it looks like you're gathering evidence for a predefined conclusion, which is no way to do something.

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard convincing evidence for significant differences between races in terms of intelligence, people that preach the whole 'all races are the same' thing can **** off though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Source please.
    Its not my argument so i dont have the evidence

ReputationRep:
    that is in fact correct

ReputationRep:
    I do agree with it to some extent. Black people are often discouraged to achieve academically and instead peer-pressured in some neighbourhoods, to deal drugs, smack that ***** up and shoot that ***** down.

ReputationRep:
    I think this subject is too touchy as we all try to be politically correct and not appear to be 'racist'. I am not referring specifically to black people but it is probably very likely that some ethnicities are in general smarter than others as they - perhaps they have had more time to develop. Similar in a way how different dog breeds can learn and perform tricks faster than others

ReputationRep:

Or maybe some of the blacks are using the assertions you have made as an excuse not to strive and achieve their best.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seven_Three)
    What about the American trans-racial adoption studies?
    What about this?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8368240.stm

Anyway, white poor boys do the worst than every other group in tests in England in primary school.

P.S. Poverty probably plays a bigger part than race, hence why white rich boys don't do as badly and do above average. Well, you could suppose that white poor boys have inferior genes or that they are discrimated against, but both would seem unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescafrancesca)
    I think this subject is too touchy as we all try to be politically correct and not appear to be 'racist'. I am not referring specifically to black people but it is probably very likely that some ethnicities are in general smarter than others as they - perhaps they have had more time to develop. Similar in a way how different dog breeds can learn and perform tricks faster than others
    just WOW

ReputationRep:
    Like it or hate it black people tend not to excell academically with regards to other races. Why? Because they have no heritage. This might be me talking utter ********- but Asians are generally known to be hard-working, which could be due to, among other factors, their heritage, history etc. Blacks dont necesarily have that, for example an English black wont be wholly English as his ancesters came from Africa. Ok, fair enough, the same can be said for all of us (my ancestors came from France O_O) but they were brought here, against their will, as slaves. Thats not an ancestral history to be proud of.

Then ofc, theres the contant put-downs, sick jokes made against blacks, and very subtle racism against them in all countries. Tell someone theyre worthless enough times and they'll grow to believe it.

I wouldnt worry too much about it though. A black man is in charge of the greatest super-power in the world. Methinks things will soon change.

ReputationRep:
    People are different, live with it :dontknow:

I do not know whether black people could be classed as "intellectually inferior" because I have yet to have that proved to me without a doubt. I know there are studies, but I find these to have some rather large discrepancies.

If black people are intellectually inferior, does it matter? If East Asians are more intelligent than whites, does it matter?

Like I said, we're all different. Does it honestly matter if one race is "dumber" than another?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James4d)
    Like it or hate it black people tend not to excell academically with regards to other races. Why? Because they have no heritage. This might be me talking utter ********- but Asians are generally known to be hard-working, which could be due to, among other factors, their heritage, history etc. Blacks dont necesarily have that, for example an English black wont be wholly English as his ancesters came from Africa. Ok, fair enough, the same can be said for all of us (my ancestors came from France O_O) but they were brought here, against their will, as slaves. Thats not an ancestral history to be proud of.

Then ofc, theres the contant put-downs, sick jokes made against blacks, and very subtle racism against them in all countries. Tell someone theyre worthless enough times and they'll grow to believe it.

I wouldnt worry too much about it though. A black man is in charge of the greatest super-power in the world. Methinks things will soon change.
    Huh?
    Don't you know that the majority of black people live in Africa? No heritage??

I promised myself not to click on this thread ..I knew it would only make me angry.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence does not depend on race. Whoever thinks this is ignorant imo.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.