Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Actually, although it goes against all my beliefs that a human is a human is a human, the latest research shows that in general black people are less intelligent than white people.

The results of the research spanning several years were not widely broadcast to avoid offence and racism aligations against the researchers.

Important points to make:

This doesn't necessarily mean that black people should be any less successful than white people because IQ is not equal to success or superiority.

The other important thing to remember is that being in disadvantaged backgrounds does not have a huge effect on IQ. Having an education does not improve your IQ, neither does being able to read or count. If this was the case, it would not be possible to be able to compare the IQ's of say dogs or parrots and humans. IQ can be more correctly considered as the potential to read, write, count etc etc. It is therefore incorrect to suggest that black people have been suggested as less intelligent then white people because more of them live in poverty or are suppressed by society.

Also, I would like to point out that the results of this research do not effect my personal views of different ethnic groups. I do not believe any human is fundamentally better than another.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence does not depend on race. Whoever thinks this is ignorant imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rye225)
    just WOW
    care to explain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    What about this?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8368240.stm

Anyway, white poor boys do the worst than every other group in tests in England in primary school.

P.S. Poverty probably plays a bigger part than race, hence why white rich boys don't do as badly and do above average. Well, you could suppose that white poor boys have inferior genes or that they are discrimated against, but both would seem unlikely.
    Well that is the point with the trans-racial adoption studies, they bascially took IQ and academic results from black adolescents which had been brought up in white house holds, which removes the aspect of poverty and up bringing. And they were still found to do less well in IQ testing and academically across all fields (math, languages ect).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneso...Adoption_Study

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMiestero)
    Intelligence does not depend on race. Whoever thinks this is ignorant imo.
    You're ignorant for coming up with this assumption when there is no solid scientific evidence.

ReputationRep:
    Things do tend to even out, and I don't think it's any mystery that black people are physically superior, on the whole they are taller, more powerfully built and simply better at atlethic than white people or far easterns.

In that same light, due to the fact white people aren't physically as strong as black people, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that on the whole they average white person is marginally more intellignent.

In the same light, far easterns are usually thought of as being the most intelligent of all the races and yet they tend to be the smallest and slightest in build - they don't make particularly good atheletes.

So yes, as un-PC as it sounds I think there are differences between the races with different races having their superiorities in different areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meagz)
    You're ignorant for coming up with this assumption when there is no solid scientific evidence.
    There's no solid evidence either way but there's as much to say it is based on race as to suggest it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    Because blacks thinks it's 'uncool' to study and be smart :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meagz)
    Anyone can be intelligent if they put their mind to it, it does not matter what colour the person is

ReputationRep:
    People saying "it's stupid to say that some races are more intelligent than others," what would you say are the factors that effect intelligence? Are we all born with our own innate intelligence which can be harvested to varying degrees of success dependent upon our upbringing? If so, do we all share the same levels of innate intelligence? This seems unlikely. Whilst it isn't a topic which everyone is happy with as some people are going to get their feeling hurt, it isn't unlikely that genetics play a role in intelligence. This could possibly result in studies showing that different racial groups are more intelligent than other.

ReputationRep:
    Black people must have an unspoken power or appeal b/c we seem to dominate the sphere of discussion on TSR regarding a range of topics. If one race is indeed "intellectually inferior" why should it concern you. We would be invisible people who without mind or character poses no threat - but we all know everything is quite the contrary. Since the 1600s, scientists and scholars of non - black origin have tried to produce scholarly works solidifying the failure of the black race but to no avail. I and others like myself who possess African ancestry carry the torch of power, strength, intelligence, and a sense of unending faith that will continue to be held for generations to come.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMiestero)
    Anyone can be intelligent if they put their mind to it, it does not matter what colour the person is
    You're wrong, intelligence cannot be gained by working hard-that's the whole point, on the other hand knowledge can. You don't need to be intelligent to be successful-but you need hard work.

Why is it ignorant to assume one race excels another in certain areas? It's evident in sport, where the top athletic runners are black people, so why not in other fields? It may not be pc, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't entertain the notion.

ReputationRep:
    This question gets asked every few weeks. It's tired and redundant. Use the search function.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody cares.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    "Did you also know that many Black children are often discouraged from excelling in academics, and academic achievement is not adequately emphasized in many black households?"

The first question is whether this is true. If it is, we would be right to declare blacks as intellectual inferior in only a factual sense as a generalisation.

The important question is whether this is
    1. Inherent
    2. Unsolvable without Government intervention

If the answer to either 1 or 2 then we would be right to declare blacks as intellectual inferior negatively as a generalisation. If black people can't pick themselves up from the ground because they feel inferior in our society today then frankly, I see ridicule as justified.

Oh yeah, and this is nonsense "for African-born Blacks are more black (genetically) than Black Brits, and they are at the top of the ladder where education is concerned."
    Usually I disagree with most of what Bag says, but sadly, I agree with this. To bring yourself down and to make yourself and others believe that intelligence and achievements are a bad thing is incredibly stupid.
    However, I do think this again is a poverty/social thing rather than a completely race-based thing, as I know from experience that poor White kids (chavs if you like, although the term 'chav' didn't exist then) tease, put down and isolate the gifted achievers [almost] as much as Blacks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliciaJ703)
    Black people must who have an unspoken power or appeal b/c we seem to dominate the sphere of discussion on TSR regarding a range of topics. If one race is indeed "intellectually inferior" why should it concern you. We would be invisible people who without mind or character poses no threat - but we all know everything is quite the contrary. Since the 1600s, scientists and scholars of non - black origin have tried to produce scholarly works solidifying the failure of the black race but to no avail. I and others like myself who possess African ancestry carry the torch of power, strength, intelligence, and a sense of unending faith that will continue to be held for generations to come.
    If you're going to post, at least make it something worth reading and not stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chap54)
    If you're going to post, at least make it something worth reading and not stupid.
    You do the same.

ReputationRep:
    argh I always promise myself I won't open these threads but I always end up doing it anyway.

People just want to find stupid ways to put down others.
    The supposed 'fact' that black people are less intelligent was one of the justifications used for slavery- That it was a black man's lot to do labour work.

There are thick people of every race and there are intelligent people of every race(that and really depends on what background you grow up in- If you naturally inclined to academia and are provided with the opportunity to learn of course you will do well. There are probably millions of black children out there with natural academic ability but no-one to tap into it).

ReputationRep:
    Why take a comment like that seriously? Just make sure you do well. Surely that's more important than what everyone else (including the blacks) does.

ReputationRep:
    Intellectual abilities =/= race but = to love

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.