Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

black people are supposedly "intellectually inferior"? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xica Da Silva)
    argh I always promise myself I won'tt open these threads but I always end up doing it anyway.
    I'm a third black and I'm one of the smartest in my school.
    On the black side of my family there are lots of doctors, politicans, lawyers and a few scientists.
    I don't find this unusual or out of the norm at all.

People just want to find stupid ways to put down others.
    The supposed 'fact' that black people are less intelligent was one of the justifications used for slavery- That it was a black man's lot to work.
    Admittedly TSR isn't the best place to get a fair judgement about the point of intelligence and how varied it may be between races. But, how can you be sure you're one of the smartest in your school? Also, I think with job roles a certain amount may have to do with filling the quotas, like its been proven with the police force positively discriminating towards certain ethnic groups. How exactly is it possible to be one third black?

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, this question no longer holds any meaning. Who cares if one race seems to be "intellectually inferior" than another? As long as people try their hardest, thats all that matters. My dad is living proof that your arguement is pretty much redundant (won't go into a sob story here!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomethingWitty)
    You're wrong, intelligence cannot be gained by working hard-that's the whole point, on the other hand knowledge can. You don't need to be intelligent to be successful-but you need hard work.

Why is it ignorant to assume one race excels another in certain areas? It's evident in sport, where the top athletic runners are black people, so why not in other fields? It may not be pc, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't entertain the notion.
    When I was younger, I had books that could prepare you for an IQ test. If you can train for an IQ test, then you can make yourself more intelligent (especially when younger). Admittedly I was already a bright kid, but my parents did all they could to enable me to see things in an intelligent and logical way. So many logic and maths test! I remember moments when things 'clicked' when I was reading something, or after struggling with a puzzle for ages. Those moments wouldn't have come if I hadn't tried those things surely? I definitely believe you can make your child more intelligent with the way you bring them up, however, I don't believe you can force intelligence. While a young mind is naturally perfect for moulding, if anything, it's the craving for stimulation and the speed at taking in and applying new information that is probably genetic, and that will go nowhere if your childhood doesn't cater to those needs.

Obviously this is all opinion though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie038)
    Seriously, this question no longer holds any meaning. Who cares if one race seems to be "intellectually inferior" than another? As long as people try their hardest, thats all that matters. My dad is living proof that your arguement is pretty much redundant (won't go into a sob story here!)
    Very true. Also, the fact that you'd morally still have to take each individual on their own merit renders the whole thing pointless. Instead of possibly dumping all Black children in the class for dummies, you'd have to test them all or put them in equal classes with their peers and see which ones emerge as intelligent. Instead of potentially refusing to employ a Black person, you'd have to look at what they've achieved and see what you think about them after an interview or industry testing... Erm, yes. We already do these things! What exactly is the point?

ReputationRep:
    I watched this documentary that basically said that the majority of the black population is actually catching up to White/Asian intelligence. Comparing their IQ's over a period of a century the black population has increasingly gained ground over the other ethnicity's.

Me being Chinese I don't think I'm born with knowledge or anything but I always strive to learn more and has been encouraged at a young age to selfteach. So I think the only difference is the enviroment that they're being bought up in, if African's work harder in school in general then they will become our equals.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence is not a defined concept actually. Unless we actually define it and have a definitive method of measuring it (because IQ is not accepted as measure of intelligence), you can't say that ANYONE is more intelligent than anyone else. I guess people just don't want to risk getting their egos shattered by the conclusive revelation they are not intelligent.

However, I could quite confidently say that blacks on average have a lower IQ. It's fact. I cannot make any comments about their intelligence because society refuses to define it.

However, at the end of the day, I don't really care. Just because there are certain statistics that apply to demographics doesn't mean you could really make a valuable statement about any one individual from that demographic.

ReputationRep:
    What are these studies supposed to do? Boost some ego while increase the gap between races? It's a general study and as such it will never be as much as 1x10^-9 % accurate in estimating the intellectual ratio on two people of a different race. Such studies only lead to involuntary racism.

ReputationRep:
    Okay. There's no simple answer to this. That has been proven by the range of opinions on this thread.

One thing I've noticed is everyone is assuming, or an assumption based on a source, that intelligence derives from 'doing well at school' or being academical, or perhaps in IQ tests. I'm assuming that the supposed 'research' has been based on IQ tests and exam scores from a range of races. I don't think in any way that exams would reflect a person's intelligence, probably only their knowledge and dedication to a subject. As for IQ tests, Horizon did an episode on this once:
    The principle way that we measure intelligence, the IQ test, remains popular and convenient. Yet most psychologists agree that it only tells half the story... at most. Where they disagree is how to measure intelligence, for the simple reason that the experts still don't know exactly what it is.
    [Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/prog...intelligence/]
    The IQ test is debated as to whether is accurately measures a person's intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    This is sadly true, it is of course to do with heritage and certain aspects of evolution, it's also to do with other factors such as upbringing. Of course there is however exceptions to any generalisation.

I think it's important to note that anything which is expressed externally can be easily excepted within different races, it is accepted that the majority of blacks have larger dongs than whites, and that the average height in Asia is below that of Europe/America.

Genetic or not (I think we can safely say the penis one is) when issues to do with divergence of race touch on topics such as intelligence things become a little more sensitive, it would be foolish to say because somebody is black they are less intelligent, (Obama), but it would also be foolish to suggest that there isn't a general difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James4d)
    Like it or hate it black people tend not to excell academically with regards to other races. Why? Because they have no heritage. This might be me talking utter ********- but Asians are generally known to be hard-working, which could be due to, among other factors, their heritage, history etc. Blacks dont necesarily have that, for example an English black wont be wholly English as his ancesters came from Africa. Ok, fair enough, the same can be said for all of us (my ancestors came from France O_O) but they were brought here, against their will, as slaves. Thats not an ancestral history to be proud of.

Then ofc, theres the contant put-downs, sick jokes made against blacks, and very subtle racism against them in all countries. Tell someone theyre worthless enough times and they'll grow to believe it.

I wouldnt worry too much about it though. A black man is in charge of the greatest super-power in the world. Methinks things will soon change.

NO HERITAGE???????????
    :confused: :confused: :confused:
    Please elaborate on the word no heritage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    When I was younger, I had books that could prepare you for an IQ test. If you can train for an IQ test, then you can make yourself more intelligent (especially when younger). Admittedly I was already a bright kid, but my parents did all they could to enable me to see things in an intelligent and logical way. So many logic and maths test! I remember moments when things 'clicked' when I was reading something, or after struggling with a puzzle for ages. Those moments wouldn't have come if I hadn't tried those things surely? I definitely believe you can make your child more intelligent with the way you bring them up, however, I don't believe you can force intelligence. While a young mind is naturally perfect for moulding, if anything, it's the craving for stimulation and the speed at taking in and applying new information that is probably genetic, and that will go nowhere if your childhood doesn't cater to those needs.

Obviously this is all opinion though.
    You see-I disagree with you slightly, these IQ tests and what not all have structures, it is my belief by training your mind in that way you are looking for those structures in other tests etc...

To put it another way, I think your brain reacts to new puzzles you are set by looking through puzzles you've already solved and going 'oh, it looks kind of like this one-maybe if I...', but I don't think that's more intelligent-you're intelligence was already fixed, you've just got more tools to work with? Of course, even if you have all the tools you need and can't use them properly, you still can't solve the puzzle, that's where intelligence comes in, making the most of what you know. In that way-hard work can eventually triumph over intelligence.

I hope that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Glad to see OP tries to shatter age old prejudices against black people, in return for spouting his own ridiculous views about how blacks are so much more inately intelligent than all other races. If there was no source, I would almost think this was a troll. Oh wait-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomethingWitty)
    You see-I disagree with you slightly, these IQ tests and what not all have structures, it is my belief by training your mind in that way you are looking for those structures in other tests etc...

To put it another way, I think your brain reacts to new puzzles you are set by looking through puzzles you've already solved and going 'oh, it looks kind of like this one-maybe if I...', but I don't think that's more intelligent-you're intelligence was already fixed, you've just got more tools to work with? Of course, even if you have all the tools you need and can't use them properly, you still can't solve the puzzle, that's where intelligence comes in, making the most of what you know. In that way-hard work can eventually triumph over intelligence.

I hope that makes sense.
    How are those things different? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erulisse)
    Actually, although it goes against all my beliefs that a human is a human is a human, the latest research shows that in general black people are less intelligent than white people.

The results of the research spanning several years were not widely broadcast to avoid offence and racism aligations against the researchers.

Important points to make:

This doesn't necessarily mean that black people should be any less successful than white people because IQ is not equal to success or superiority.

The other important thing to remember is that being in disadvantaged backgrounds does not have a huge effect on IQ. Having an education does not improve your IQ, neither does being able to read or count. If this was the case, it would not be possible to be able to compare the IQ's of say dogs or parrots and humans. IQ can be more correctly considered as the potential to read, write, count etc etc. It is therefore incorrect to suggest that black people have been suggested as less intelligent then white people because more of them live in poverty or are suppressed by society.

Also, I would like to point out that the results of this research do not effect my personal views of different ethnic groups. I do not believe any human is fundamentally better than another.

You said having an education does not improve your IQ ...(OK , fair enough)
    but then you said IQ can be considered as the pontential to read, write, count etc... ( wouldn't education be the result of this ? and i really think everyone has the potential to read and write if they were taught and given the chance.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theBOON)
    What are these studies supposed to do? Boost some ego while increase the gap between races? It's a general study and as such it will never be as much as 1x10^-9 % accurate in estimating the intellectual ratio on two people of a different race. Such studies only lead to involuntary racism.
    Agreed. See my reply to Annie038. I wonder what we plan to do with this knowledge if we ever determine that Blacks are genetically inferior when it comes to intelligence. What good will come of it?
    Go struggle to find a cure for cancer, please. Or, if you really want to study intelligence, get a whole load of 'smart' and 'dumb' people and try and discover an intelligence gene. For me, this battle to determine if race plays a part in intelligence is like struggling to discover in children are relatively more logical than adults. What would we do with such info? would we suddenly start employing children? Nothing would change! If only negative things would come from doing something, why do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileeTee)
    Intelligence does not depend on race. Whoever thinks this is ignorant imo.
    A person's genes have no connection to how his or her brain develops? :woo:

This must mean that the sperm banks that collect sperm samples from Nobel prize winners are committing fraud.

ReputationRep:
    Why does it even matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    How are those things different? :curious:
    Analogy-Intelligence is like the race car driver, what I refer to as 'tools', is the car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    A person's genes have no connection to how his or her brain develops? :woo:
    :rolleyes:
    yes but not all black people have the genes that will make them unintelligent.

Eurgh Can't believe I pos repped you once.. I used to think you were honest supporter of Israel but from all your posts I've seen lately I conclude you are just a sad scumbag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timmo541)
    It can be argued that black people appear to be intellectually inferior when one looks at the average test scores of a group of black school pupils vs. a group of white school pupils.

However it has to be taken into account that black school pupils are more likely to come from a lower-income, lower-educated upbringing, and this will increase the chances of neglecting school work in favour of crime or other distractions.

Also, (this applies mainly to the USA), but there are certain schools that are predominantly black, and those that are predominantly white. Take the city of Chicago, where the typical white child attends a school that is only 6% black and the typical black child attends a school that is 60% black. (Source: Freakonomics, Levitt & Dubner) Studies show that the "black" schools have a higher amount of gang problems, and lack of funding. This contributes to lower test scores than the "white" schools, and makes it look like there is a difference in intellectual ability, when actually, it depends mostly on the persons upbringing.
    Why do black people seem to have more of an affinity towards forming gangs etc. It's something I've always wondered. Maybe it's to do with upbringing and poverty.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.