Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

black people are supposedly "intellectually inferior"? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Threepigs)
    Are black men, in general, faster than those of other races? and if so is it down to their genes?
    That statement has no substance whatsoever. That is a biological fact, doesn't mean every black man is faster than every white man but black men have the advantage of more twitch muscles.

Intelligence is a totally different matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Africans in areas such as Science/Mathematics/Economics may be more significant.
    here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Ff0D-dWew

as for IQ.

I don't wish to waste time replying, it'll turn out into a tl;dr so quick reply.

- the idea of 'races' is fallacious. the different races aren't mutually exclusive, we are all genetically very homogeneous.

- the IQ difference between blacks and whites in america, was 15 points around a decade or so ago, now it's considered to be 10, and continuously shortening, now think about why.

- the Africans are actually a very intelligent race, they for example were using a system similar to binary centuries before Leibniz created it.

the only reason you believe that they havn't created anything worth knowing, is because the whites thought that they had nothing worth knowing, for obvious reasons.

- a few more points could have been added, but can't be bothered so main point.

IQ does not measure intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Threepigs)
    Are black men, in general, faster than those of other races? and if so is it down to their genes?
    probably is, think about evolution and their environment they live in.

they naturally needed to be more fit to survive in such extreme environments, but that's merely me making a logical analysis.

edit. and why hasn't my reply to the other guy shown up....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayostunner)
    You said having an education does not improve your IQ ...(OK , fair enough)
    but then you said IQ can be considered as the pontential to read, write, count etc... ( wouldn't education be the result of this ? and i really think everyone has the potential to read and write if they were taught and given the chance.)
    Ok, what I am saying is that the research I talked of earlier in my post does not suggest that black people generally have lower IQ's because more of them come from impoverished backgrounds and therefore do not have access to education.

Having the IQ to have the POTENTIAL to read, write etc is common to almost all human beings, but normally the higher your IQ the better you will be at it. So a human has a higher IQ than a dog so people can read and dogs cannot.

Education is the teaching of skills, but if you do not have the IQ or potential to learn the skills, education will do you no good. For example, if you sent a dog to school, it would not learn to read because it's brain is not highly developed enough to learn this skill.

Therefore what I was saying was that it is incorrect to say, as the starter of this thread said, that black people are considered "intellectually inferior" because many of them do not have access to education because you are born with an IQ and education does not change this.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence has nothing to do with race.
    It's determined by external factors, ie how the child is raised etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erulisse)
    Ok, what I am saying is that the research I talked of earlier in my post does not suggest that black people generally have lower IQ's because more of them come from impoverished backgrounds and therefore do not have access to education.

Having the IQ to have the POTENTIAL to read, write etc is common to almost all human beings, but normally the higher your IQ the better you will be at it. So a human has a higher IQ than a dog so people can read and dogs cannot.

Education is the teaching of skills, but if you do not have the IQ or potential to learn the skills, education will do you no good. For example, if you sent a dog to school, it would not learn to read because it's brain is not highly developed enough to learn this skill.

Therefore what I was saying was that it is incorrect to say, as the starter of this thread said, that black people are considered "intellectually inferior" because many of them do not have access to education because you are born with an IQ and education does not change this.

Ok kl !
    i get what you mean noe :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xica Da Silva)
    I removed the personal part of my post on second thoughts(its not really the point of my post and I knew people would comment on that and not the real point of the post). me being one of the smartest is just a estimate based on test scores among other things, although on reflection I don't believe it was necessary or correct comment so I removed it.
    Why would it not be possible to be a third black? I admit technically its another estimate since I can't be entirely sure because the country my parents are from has a lot of racial mixing for centuries. My mother is roughly 3/4 black and 1/4 white. meaning 3 of my 8 grandparents are black and the remaining 5 are white.
    So thats 3/8th's not 1/3. If you had 3/9th's then that would also be 1/3.

ReputationRep:
    gosh this is the worse broken record..........

ReputationRep:
    Posts such as this make my soul sigh, everytime. I think I have now come to terms with the fact that white people and people of other races will forever see black people as inferior in one way or another. Such beliefs will be backed up by studies and science, and people will hold it as gospel. All I can do is tell my story and hope it dispels some of the attricbutes that people attribute to a WHOLE group of people simply due to the very active melanin producing cells that lay in my skin. I am black, and I do not feel I am intelletually inferior, quite the opposite, I work with some white people who talk absolute **** on a daily basis and appear to have never been introduced to sense in thier lives. I am highly educated, to a postgraduate level, I play insturments to a high level and as it happens I excelled far beyond ALL my peers at grammar school in maths and science, and I was only 1 of 2 black people. Yet people will look at me and think im stupid.

I do think the assesment and outcome of intellectual ability does have a lot to do with upbringing, what you are exposed to and opportunities. A large proportion of black people still do not gain access (through their own fault or otherwise) to very good schools and opportunities that can help them attain posisitons that might help dispel the idea that blacks are stupid.

As it happens, AFRICANS, yea i said it AFRICANS are actually the 'model minority' above the Chinese or any other Asian group, Africans who immigrate here are far more educated and achieve more success than any other racial group.

But whatever, someone will quote some stupid study saying my brain is smaller and therefore im more stupid, cus im black. I give up, other races will always hold predujiced views and racism will always exist, because humans like the idea of superiority and always want to be the head, in which case, someone has to be the tail, that 'tail' has been blacks for centuries, easy target, so why stop now, its much easier to perpetuate myths!

ReputationRep:
    I think that academic acheievement isn't necessarily the best measure of intelligence. More a sum of "effort" and "intelligence". Maybe it's true that some Black children and maybe black adults have not acheieved well academically but that may be due to not putting the effort in. It doesnt make them more or less intelligent.

When I was younger at school, I put a lot more effort into my work and had more motivation than I did at 1st year of Uni (where I mainly got stoned, went out and hardly studied) and then I put more effort in in my later years at uni. Needless to say, my marks ranged from a 2:2 to a 1st. Clearly, my intelligence was constant, but my level of "arsedness" varied a lot.

Working on that principle, if people are brought up with a crap working ethic and don't have self belief, you could be really incredibly intelligent but havent got the drive to learn, so you don't reach your potential.

Also, IQ tests are poo. If you've practised a few tests, they become easier to do verses someone who doesnt know what to expect at all (and hasnt done them before). I did two and did noticeably better on my second test.

That is all I have to say on the matter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileeTee)
    Intelligence does not depend on race. Whoever thinks this is ignorant imo.
    What an ignorant viewpoint.

You can't blithely ignore the possibility of a difference between races.

Is it so inconceivable that, along with skin colour, hair type, body size, etc., races differ in intelligence?

ReputationRep:
    The whole arguement is built on the foundations of stereotype. It's not possible to generalise 'Black' People as being intellectually inferior. If, as the trend suggests, that Black people in the UK are performing inadequately in academic examinations this doesn't neccessarily suggest 'Intellectual inferiority'. Firstly, It's debatle as to whether or not Intelligence and high 'A' levels have a direct correlation. Secondly, scoring inadequately in such examinations,which is undoubtedly where the assertion has derived, doesn't neccessarily connote a deficit of intellectual acuity. In fact, prosperity in such examintions is dependant more on assiduity than natural adroitness, atleast in my opinion. It's not the fact that they are 'intellectual inferior' but that they do not perhaps value education as highly as others. However, unless I'm wrong, I recently heard that out of those educated in the UK, the social segment performing the worst are 'white working class'?

This isn't in retaliation to the OP's assertions, merely my opinion on the title of the forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planned)
    Posts such as this make my soul sigh, everytime. I think I have now come to terms with the fact that white people and people of other races will forever see black people as inferior in one way or another. Such beliefs will be backed up by studies and science, and people will hold it as gospel. All I can do is tell my story and hope it dispels some of the attricbutes that people attribute to a WHOLE group of people simply due to the very active melanin producing cells that lay in my skin. I am black, and I do not feel I am intelletually inferior, quite the opposite, I work with some white people who talk absolute **** on a daily basis and appear to have never been introduced to sense in thier lives. I am highly educated, to a postgraduate level, I play insturments to a high level and as it happens I excelled far beyond ALL my peers at grammar school in maths and science, and I was only 1 of 2 black people. Yet people will look at me and think im stupid.

I do think the assesment and outcome of intellectual ability does have a lot to do with upbringing, what you are exposed to and opportunities. A large proportion of black people still do not gain access (through their own fault or otherwise) to very good schools and opportunities that can help them attain posisitons that might help dispel the idea that blacks are stupid.

As it happens, AFRICANS, yea i said it AFRICANS are actually the 'model minority' above the Chinese or any other Asian group, Africans who immigrate here are far more educated and achieve more success than any other racial group.

But whatever, someone will quote some stupid study saying my brain is smaller and therefore im more stupid, cus im black. I give up, other races will always hold predujiced views and racism will always exist, because humans like the idea of superiority and always want to be the head, in which case, someone has to be the tail, that 'tail' has been blacks for centuries, easy target, so why stop now, its much easier to perpetuate myths!

I agree with the above ^^^^
    Whatever the truth is, even if you could prove that there was a difference in general intelligence, it would lead to generalisation and prejudice against the whole group and completely ignore those who don't fit the stereotype.
    Clever black people would be initially thought of as dumb until proved other wise and that's just patronising and judgemental.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undulipodium)
    What an ignorant viewpoint.

You can't blithely ignore the possibility of a difference between races.

Is it so inconceivable that, along with skin colour, hair type, body size, etc., races differ in intelligence?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planned)

Source?

I haven't actually seen any evidence that I'd call conclusive, so I'm really just playing Devil's advocate, but when you talk about a group of people being less/more intelligent on average, it doesn't mean that individuals won't vary.

Another point worth considering is the social makeup of any immigrant group - if that group comes from a particularly poor country, those with money will be those who are hardworking/intelligent.

To be honest, I sincerely doubt that any empirical evidence will be found - or even sought - within our lifetime. Maybe in 2540 :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    This:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCount.)
    Yes.
    Why is that inconceivable to you?

I'm not implying that any race has been proven to be less/more intelligent - simply that you shouldn't shy away from scientific curiosity because of the taboo of investigating the relationship between race and intelligence.

Please don't mistake intellectual curiosity for bigotry.

ReputationRep:
    Not genetically. If a certain sect of society don't do as well others, it's more likely to do with culture, family encouragement and opportunities.

I know a lot of british black young people who are the children of (West) Africans who came here in the 70s to study. These particular people are doing very well academically, because of their parent's background and attitude to education.

ReputationRep:
    I'm black, and not intellectually inferior to any of my peers. Race really has nothing to
    do with intellegence, it's simply a matter of how hard a person wants to work. Black people are lazy ? Maybe some are. But inferior? No.

ReputationRep:
    Right, but groups can have different averages. For instance, Ashkenazi Jews average about 110 on psychometric tests. This means there is a lot of overlap, but at the upper end of the distribution they are overrepresented. When a group's average IQ is 100, the percentage of people above 140 is 0.4%; when the average is 110, the genius rate is 2.3%.

This is significantly due to selection for cogntively demanding roles over about a 1200 year period.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16867211 -

There is no strong evidence yet for specific gene variants (alleles) that lead to group differences (differences between clusters) in behavior or intelligence, but progress on the genomic side of this question will be rapid in coming years, as the price to sequence a genome is dropping at an exponential rate.

What seems to be true (from preliminary studies) is that the gene variants that were under strong selection (reached fixation) over the last 10k years are different in different clusters. That is, the way that modern people in each cluster differ, due to natural selection, from their own ancestors 10k years ago is not the same in each cluster -- we have been, at least at the genetic level, experiencing divergent evolution.

In fact, recent research suggests that 7% or more of all our genes are mutant versions that replaced earlier variants through natural selection over the last tens of thousands of years. There was little gene flow between continental clusters (races) during that period, so there is circumstantial evidence for group differences beyond the already established ones (superficial appearance, disease resistance). http://infoproc.blogspot.com/2008/01...-for-race.html

A fair fraction are neurological and likely to affect behavior in some way. For example, you see new versions of SLC6A4, a serotonin transporter, in Europeans and Asians. There’s a new version of a gene (DAB1) that shapes the development of the layers of the cerebral cortex in east Asia.

This all is unsurprising and I expect much more evidence to be uncovered of cognitive adaptations to local environments.

Also, note there are significant differences in average brain shape and size amongst groups.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...rain-size.html

(2009) Whole-brain size and general mental ability: A review. International Journal of Neuroscience, 119, 691-731

http://psychology.uwo.ca/faculty/rus...2009%20IJN.pdf

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.