Cambridge vs LSE (Management) Watch

cabdirazzaq
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello!

Adam here, from Gothenburg (Sweden) and I'm looking for some advice.

Over the past few months I've been drawn to maybe complete my postgraduate studies in England (Fish n Chips played a big role in that decision :rolleyes: ). I wont be able to send in any applictions until next year so I figured I might as well learn what's out there prior to that.

For now, I'm caught between either Msc Management and Strategy at LSE or Mphil from Cambridge. Any suggestions on which one I should go with? :confused: I'm not looking for an MBA type of degree but rather a hollistic approach to management (currently LSE seems better). Any ideas?
verticalforce
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If I'm in your situation I would pick Cam.

LSE is great but Cam has the name and is instantly recognisable everywhere, probably even in the remotest island.
hunty91
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by verticalforce)
If I'm in your situation I would pick Cam.

LSE is great but Cam has the name and is instantly recognisable everywhere, probably even in the remotest island.
Some would argue that for Management, LSE is more recognisable, particularly in the US.
Hayz=]
Badges: 1
Report 8 years ago
Definately Cambridge. Can't you apply to both though?
omegaman
Report 8 years ago
I got my conditional offer for the MPhil in Management at Cambridge a couple days ago.. It seemed like the perfect choice for a general management course with great career prospects and a great place to grow personally, considering the "intellectual heaven" which is Cambridge...

However, I now doubt my decision as I have talked to a lot of people about going to Cambridge to study Management which might not lead to as great opportunities in the future as compared to highly regarded business schools as LSE (which is even more expensive) and Rotterdam School of Management, and also the ridiculously high tuition fees charged at a premium at Cambridge.

So basically now I question the worthiness of going to Cambridge in terms of value for money and future value (except for the superficial reality of having Cambridge on my CV). Can anyone give any advice on this?!

In the future I want to work in/with Asia in management consulting or not-for-profit/world organizations.
kowara
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by omegaman)
I got my conditional offer for the MPhil in Management at Cambridge a couple days ago.. It seemed like the perfect choice for a general management course with great career prospects and a great place to grow personally, considering the "intellectual heaven" which is Cambridge...

However, I now doubt my decision as I have talked to a lot of people about going to Cambridge to study Management which might not lead to as great opportunities in the future as compared to highly regarded business schools as LSE (which is even more expensive) and Rotterdam School of Management, and also the ridiculously high tuition fees charged at a premium at Cambridge.

So basically now I question the worthiness of going to Cambridge in terms of value for money and future value (except for the superficial reality of having Cambridge on my CV). Can anyone give any advice on this?!

In the future I want to work in/with Asia in management consulting or not-for-profit/world organizations.
wow, we have the exact same issue, even the whole Asia management consulting bit haha, well I've got offers from both JBS and LSE for masters in management. Having been in LSE for my undergrad, i'm quite leaning towards taking the Cambridge degree for my masters, but if you look at the course description, LSE one is somewhat superior. But then again, the name Cambridge helps a long way.

LSE's second year bit of the course offers the students to join the CEMS network, which would be extremely beneficial in terms of career progression, but having said that, LSE course IS 2 years, so double the fees + living costs in London.

I'd say, take Cambridge. though it is somewhat superficial, we do live in a superficial world.
omegaman
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kowara)
wow, we have the exact same issue, even the whole Asia management consulting bit haha, well I've got offers from both JBS and LSE for masters in management. Having been in LSE for my undergrad, i'm quite leaning towards taking the Cambridge degree for my masters, but if you look at the course description, LSE one is somewhat superior. But then again, the name Cambridge helps a long way.

LSE's second year bit of the course offers the students to join the CEMS network, which would be extremely beneficial in terms of career progression, but having said that, LSE course IS 2 years, so double the fees + living costs in London.

I'd say, take Cambridge. though it is somewhat superficial, we do live in a superficial world.
LSE would definitely be way more of an investment than Cambridge even and you cannot guarantee your placement on the CEMS network, something you are competing with a lot of bright students with..

So you are going to JBS then? We might see each other in Cambridge then! Even if I still have doubts.. I agree with you on the superficial world thing but that doesn't mean one needs to surrender to it.

By the way, what's your goal with the whole Asia management consulting thing then? Why Asia? Just curious
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (361)
91.86%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (32)
8.14%

Watched Threads