Turn on thread page Beta

What is the point of an open relationship? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it even really a relationship lol like its just gettin together with someone every once in a while n when ur not with them, getting with other people. does it count as a relationship?

ReputationRep:
    To enjoy life.

ReputationRep:
    I just think that it's for people who have commitment issues or don't want to be tied down too fast yet be able to have a fall back sex plan.

ReputationRep:
    **** knows to be honest with you. Doesn't make much sense to me, but hey, different strokes for different folks!

ReputationRep:
    intimacy, sex, emotional commitment... everything a 'normal' relationship has, just without the restrictions.

ReputationRep:
    Well... some people like to have sex with more than one person. Some people trust their partners enough that they know they are still loved whilst they shag around. It works better for some people, especially the kinky ones.

If it works for people? Go for it! As long as it's all cool with everyone, I don't see what the issue is. Same as monogamy - be monogamous if you want to be, if your relationship(s) will work better differently, do that. As long as all partners involved know what's going on and are cool with it, kudos.

ReputationRep:
    sex? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    What? Obviously being in a relationship with someone is different to being **** buddies, it's a whole new level of intimacy, you've made an emotional commitment to that person. In fact, I'd say that open relationships are more of a commitment if anything, as you're trusting that your partner will still want a long-term emotional connection with you despite having physical (maybe emotional too, depending on your agreement) connections with others.

Open relationships might not even necessarily be about sex.

ReputationRep:
    Open relationships are when you want to keep it casual or on a more deeper level (if it's not the whole I'm too horny to keep my pants on half the time) it's about not owning your other partner. The couple in the relationship love each other and trust each other enough and know it - they know that sex and love can be different, and you don't need to chain yourself to each other's genitals to confirm your love for them, or own them to love them.

Or, you want the best of both the single and the couple worlds by having multiple sexy times with different people while kissing and cuddling with someone you're intimate with.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I could do it.

Why would you want to restrict yourself to one person when you dont have to?

Would you want just one friend? That would get boring FAST, even if your friend was great

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.