Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've had about 20 driving lessons, and I'm fine at all the manoeuvres, road junctions etc. My only real issue is hesitation at roundabouts.

I hesitate because I find it really difficult to work out which cars will be going off where etc., and when they'll block other cars coming on to the roundabout, leaving a space for me to pull out. It just feels like there's too many things to watch in a short space of time.
    Does anyone have any tips on how to overcome this problem, other than lots of practise?

Also, an average 4-exit roundabout, with 2 lanes on approach, is this right? (assuming the exits are at 9, 12, 3 and 6 o'clock, and there are no road markings or signs to the contrary.)
    Left lane: 1st exit or 2nd exit
    Right lane: 3rd exit or full circle.
    Just wanted to check, I sometimes find myself forgetting in the heat of the moment.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    on really busy roundabouts
    look to the people coming onto the roundabout to your left
    if they are indicating right that means that as they come round the traffic on your right has to stop for this person who will be going down the same road you come out from
    so that is your chance to go!!

other than that just watch everyones indicators although some people dont indicate so dont go rushing onto the roundabout you have to make sure its safe first!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaireW2708)
    I've had about 20 driving lessons, and I'm fine at all the manoeuvres, road junctions etc. My only real issue is hesitation at roundabouts.

I hesitate because I find it really difficult to work out which cars will be going off where etc., and when they'll block other cars coming on to the roundabout, leaving a space for me to pull out. It just feels like there's too many things to watch in a short space of time.
    Does anyone have any tips on how to overcome this problem, other than lots of practise?

Also, an average 4-exit roundabout, with 2 lanes on approach, is this right? (assuming the exits are at 9, 12, 3 and 6 o'clock, and there are no road markings or signs to the contrary.)
    Left lane: 1st exit or 2nd exit
    Right lane: 3rd exit or full circle.
    Just wanted to check, I sometimes find myself forgetting in the heat of the moment.

Thanks
    you're correct, left lane - left straight on, right lane for others.

for coming onto a roundabout, I find focusing more on cars that are in the outside lane before the exit to my right helps - inside lane shud always be coming round so don't really pay much attention to them - usually you can see some indication that they're coming off - be it indicator or they let off a bit and go towards exit a bit more.

you get used to judging when a gap is available, just takes practice and patience - if you're not sure, don't go - better to hesitate than get hit

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    I do opt for the 'better safe than sorry' idea, but I've failed both of my mock tests for excessive hesitation. So I need to build my confidence as well as the judging skills, I think.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.