Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Being given the exam questions for third year exams watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What do you think about this? Being given the topic for each exam question on a paper. And for final year exams.

Just curious. On the one hand, it rewards the people who really work for exams, as all that work goes in to preparing a model answer, on the other it kind of defeats the point of an exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candytreeman)
    on the other it kind of defeats the point of an exam.
    Not necessarily.

Most undergraduate exams outside of science subjects are actually basically just timed essays and not exams in the conventional sense (i.e the spluttering of knowledge on the page). They test your ability to A) yes, how much you know about the subject b) but also, how you construct an argument and whether you understand the theoretical issues behind the subject. (you can't really gain B via revision/knowing the exam question).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kafka is magic)
    Not necessarily.

Most undergraduate exams outside of science subjects are actually basically just timed essays and not exams in the conventional sense (i.e the spluttering of knowledge on the page). They test your ability to A) yes, how much you know about the subject b) but also, how you construct an argument and whether you understand the theoretical issues behind the subject. (you can't really gain B via revision/knowing the exam question).
    Yeah. To be honest I was just surprised to see it. And it's bizarre that the lecturers have to go under the radar to do it? I think it's a very nice thing to do for final year students, as it stops the chances of having a really awful exam and screwing up your degree. But they are essentially meant to be unseen exams, and you can't test breadth of knowledge very well if you're rewarding students who prepare model answers.

And, since relatively speaking it increases the difficulty of the exam if you're marked relative to your peers, some people might find it annoying. Just wondeirng.

ReputationRep:
    Are they giving the topic or the questions? There is a bit of a difference between the two. Providing a broad topic can't really allow someone to write a model answer. It only means they can direct their study towards those topics. Rather than trying to revise for twenty (which, imo, is impossible to do a decent job of), they can revise for five, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOneWho)
    Are they giving the topic or the questions? There is a bit of a difference between the two. Providing a broad topic can't really allow someone to write a model answer. It only means they can direct their study towards those topics. Rather than trying to revise for twenty (which, imo, is impossible to do a decent job of), they can revise for five, for example.
    Well, by topic I mean quite a specific area. So say if a question was on the Basque peace process (topic), saying that the question was about the pan-Basque alliances (just an example, don't want to mention the places in particular). It is still quite broad I suppose, but does go against university policy for an unseen paper. And especially confusing when some exams are like that and some aren't.

Plus, from experience of being given topics in earlier years exams (y1 and 2 particularly), I always found those exams much easier to prepare for and got better marks. So I dunno.. still trying to decide whether it is appropriate for third year exams. It's still a heck of a lot of work and is quite generous of a lecturer, who probably doesn't want to see any students fail due to revising the wrong topics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candytreeman)
    Well, by topic I mean quite a specific area. So say if a question was on the Basque peace process (topic), saying that the question was about the pan-Basque alliances (just an example, don't want to mention the places in particular). It is still quite broad I suppose, but does go against university policy for an unseen paper. And especially confusing when some exams are like that and some aren't.

Plus, from experience of being given topics in earlier years exams (y1 and 2 particularly), I always found those exams much easier to prepare for and got better marks. So I dunno.. still trying to decide whether it is appropriate for third year exams. It's still a heck of a lot of work and is quite generous of a lecturer, who probably doesn't want to see any students fail due to revising the wrong topics.
    Ah, I see. Some of my classes get topics given, but they are usually extremely broad. Something like, say, disability geographies which is a field in itself. There aren't usually many hints as to what questions will come up, or even what sort of general area it might be. Keeps it quite open so although everyone is answering the same questions they will all come out with very different answers, depending on what sort of things they revised.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.