Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Price for my car - PLEASE help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi...

I have a black peugeot 206 which has done over 90 000 miles. The headgasket blew up in December and i wanted to get it fixed but can't really afford it. The MOT is due on it and it needs a few things to pass (apparently the number plates are illegal) a new boot lock, maybe tyres. Other than that it isn't in bad condition, few scrapes and dings etc but it shouldn't need any other major work.

I can't afford to fix it at the moment but have been offered £200 to scrap it. Is this a good or bad price? I have no idea!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    How old?

I would say you would get more than £200 for it, but not much more. If you fixed the MOT stuff and got it an MOT it would be better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    How old?

I would say you would get more than £200 for it, but not much more. If you fixed the MOT stuff and got it an MOT it would be better!

It's V reg... Thing is, to fix the MOT stuff could end up costing me quite a bit aswell......

ReputationRep:
    Are you looking to get a new car anyway? If you can afford, could you not consider the scrappage scheme? Then you'd be getting £2000 for it.
    EDIT: I think you might need an MOT for that? But it might still make you better off if you pay to get it past the MOT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    Are you looking to get a new car anyway? If you can afford, could you not consider the scrappage scheme? Then you'd be getting £2000 for it.
    EDIT: I think you might need an MOT for that? But it might still make you better off if you pay to get it past the MOT.
    Scrappage scheme ended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hana_87)
    It's V reg... Thing is, to fix the MOT stuff could end up costing me quite a bit aswell......
    Ummm, put it on ebay, with a reserve and see what you get for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Scrappage scheme ended.
    Nissan and Toyota are still doing their own.

ReputationRep:
    the second you said head gasket had gone and the MOT was due... i knew you had problems. im sorry to say you wont get a lot for a car with a list of problems like that. if you really cant afford to fix it, scrapping may be your best option. most cars don't fetch £100 for scarp at V reg at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    The scrappage scheme hasn't ended, it ends next month, and still has funding for about 82,000 cars according to the FT 5 days ago.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, the Toytota advert is wrong then.

I swear it says "Now that the scrappage scheme has ended, you can buy any Yaris, Auris, or IQ with £2000 off if you own a W, X, Y, 00, 01 or 02 plate car. *something* like scrappage, only better"

Ruddy Toyota!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the car will cost more to get it past it's MOT than it will actually be worth afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Sounds like the car will cost more to get it past it's MOT than it will actually be worth afterwards.

Yeah so that's why i'm questioning wether i should just sell it for £200....?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hana_87)
    Yeah so that's why i'm questioning wether i should just sell it for £200....?
    No, put it on eBay, set reserve for £200, see if you get more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    No, put it on eBay, set reserve for £200, see if you get more.

But then it's the hassle of writing the description...And a lot of people mess you around. Gaaaah. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Ask graham nicely, im sure he'l write one for ya

ReputationRep:
    Part exchange?

ReputationRep:
    you could scavenge the parts from the car that are still in good nick and sell the parts individually, you could get a lot more than £200 this way but it would be a bit of an effort

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hontoir)
    Ask graham nicely, im sure he'l write one for ya
    He would, but he would need more information first!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    He would, but he would need more information first!

Ahhhh will you?! What information do you need?

ReputationRep:
    The head gasket will cost you a fair amount plus getting it fit in by a mechanic unless you can do it yourself
    Why don't you buy parts of Ebay or find a breaker car and get the parts of that?

With the head gasket blown I doubt you'll get a lot for it on Ebay unless you sell it as 'unrecorded damaged car' in which case you might get around £200-500. Like others mentioned put it on Ebay starting from £250?

Good luck

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.