The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

I doubt any university is truly "boring", but some will definately differ in nightlife compared to an area such as london.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
it's a lot nicer than Huddersfield.
Reply 3
dont go to lancs- not enough accomodation for us already)
Only 1 major nightclub
Reply 4
Looked pretty boring and depressing when I went to visit Lanc, but i can't imagine anything worse than Hudderz!
Reply 5
Brilliant :frown: looks like im stuck with 2 'bad' universities :frown:
Reply 6
*L.C*

Whats the other one?

Lancaster lookds like its situated in the middle of a farm! ON the other hand, other Campus Universities such as Warwick, Loughborough and Nottingham to name but a few are situated on campuses but have brilliant social aspects and are situated 10 mins away from major city centres
Reply 7
hamzab
Whats the other one?

Lancaster lookds like its situated in the middle of a farm! ON the other hand, other Campus Universities such as Warwick, Loughborough and Nottingham to name but a few are situated on campuses but have brilliant social aspects and are situated 10 mins away from major city centres

The other one is Huddersfield x
Reply 8
*L.C*

Bad?

My brother is doing his masters there this year. He loves it, the best 4 years ever.
You can't take other peoples views so seriously. Just because one person hates it or one person loves it doesn't mean it's either. It's how you make it. I've been a few times and I thought it was great.
Um...Lancaster is very near Blackpool, and as far as I'm aware only a short(ish) train ride from Manchester.

Both very 'interesting' places.

And this is coming from a fellower Londoner, born and bred.

Just to clarify - I ******* loved Lancaster when I went. :smile:
my sister goes to lancaster and she loves it!! blackpool, preston and manchester are really close with frequent trains so i'm sure you'll be fine!!
Reply 11
I'm at Lancaster now.
1 major nightclub? Ehrm.. You've been missing out!

Lancaster uni is absolutely amazing, and the nightlife is great. Me and my flatmates go out around 4 times a week. You're guaranteed accommodation on campus the first year, so you're >15 mins away from your lectures every day. The learning zone is open 24/7, and is absolutely great. At least on my course, I feel they follow up their students really really good, at least much better than when I went and studied in Rome, Italy last year.
It's real easy to make friends. Maybe it's not situated in a massive city, but you're a 5pound taxiride away from the trainstation and can easily go on day-trips to both Manchester and London.

Shopping is not that big, of course, in Lancaster, but it's alright. It has everything you need, and if you need more you can easily go to Manchester, as I said. I absolutely love it here, but by all means.. If you think it's a "bad uni" because of what a couple of randomers said on the student room, then go for it.
Good luck with your choice!
Reply 12
Manchester is only an hour away by train, if that’s any consolation to you. Although saying that, Lancaster should build some sort of great wall around it to keep the chav hordes from invading.

I jest!

I won’t lie to you, Lancaster is a small ‘city,’ but on the upside the uni is very good, and a lot of students base their social lives around the events held by the student union and the various societies on campus. Also, as a place, Lancaster is reasonably friendly, and it has great transport links to most places. For example, Preston is only 15-20 minutes away by train, if that kind of thing rocks your boat...

Lancaster has some decent places to eat, some fairly good pubs, most of the usual high street names and it has a Vue cinema (admittedly, that’s not saying much). I wouldn’t know about clubbing though, as I am in fact an 80 year old inhabiting a 21 year olds body

“The music is too loud, is this even music!? In my day we had Aqua! My lord, kids these days will grow up never knowing the greatness of Aqua, they’re all living in ignorance I say! I want tea! Why won’t they serve tea? They do in Morrison’s cafe!”

I wish I had the time for boredom, which poses the question, why am I on TSR? :erm:

EDIT: Thanks to whoever repped me, it was rather unexpected tbh. :smile:
Unfortunately, in real life, I'm about as interesting as watching Yoko Ono watch paint dry.
Reply 13
i live in huddersfield and go to uni in lancaster. Huddersfield nightlife is quality from a student point of view and leeds is in very easy reach. Lancaster is a great uni and everyone there is very laid back and friendly, I cant comment on Huddersfield but I bet it has its fair share of dickheads. The nightlife at lancaster isnt amazing but its better than what you might think.
Reply 14
small =/= boring
Reply 15
You know, I came to these boards before I came to this Uni and I became rly worried that the nightlife would be ****, especially coming from Manchester. But now I just think it was so silly to even be worried about that. There's a ton of places in town, five big nightclubs inc. The Carleton in Morecombe, and on top of that the bars on campus hold some rly cool events... particularly during Freshers Week!

The Social JCR for the colleges (I can deffo vouch for Lonsdale!) do amazing jobs at holding some really awesome nights out and keeping everyone uptodate with whats going on in the evenings so... I really shouldn't worry about it. I have a few friends who would totally miss the diversity and the stupid amount of choice you get in a place like Manchester but it rly doesn't bother me :smile: x
There are a number of bars/pubs and clubs which have student nights and so forth. There is somewhere for every night of the week. Some of the clubs are really stepping up to the plate at the moment - for example, Lounge is a bit of stopping off point but they are putting on things almost every night including games with drink prizes and so forth to keep people in [and with £1 cocktails on a Monday, who can complain?!]. :smile:

Shopping wise we have what we need - Boots, Next, etc. I wish we had a Debenhams but for the most part it is good. There are some nice quirky and boutique shops and the bi-weekly market is quite good too.

Manchester is 1 hour on the train, Preston is around 15 minutes. There are lots of direct trains to further afield as well - from Edinburgh to London. :smile:

I prefer the night life in Manchester [where I am from] but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy it here. [Plus, Manchester is so easy to get to I am actually going clubbing there on Saturday.] Campus has the 9 bars and the societies have events on every week - some drink focused and others not. Plus, the campus cinema is quite good to see films a few months after they are initially shown for only £2.

If you are willing to get involved and are up for a laugh, you'll find plenty to keep yourself entertained. :biggrin:
I am quite a sociable person and I am having THE best time. I come from Portsmouth where the nightlife is *fairly* extensive and varied (though it's not London), but the best thing about Lancaster is that EVERY night you will find SOMEONE that wants to do something. There are 9 bars on campus though you will inevitably find your favourite, you can always go there for a drink. There are a few houses that, if you know the right people, will have a party or a gathering every night. Some go on until 3am, or later, sometimes they end at midnight because everyone is going into town. Town has literally SHEDLOADS of clubs, like far far more than I expected. And they're not all the best, you will have a good time. And also Carleton Wednesdays are shoddy AS but they are hilarious and someone will always want to go.

Plus, there are night trips out to Manchester, Liverpool (at least, County College has them a fair bit) and also I've seen posters about for a clubbing weekend in Amsterdam for £119. So...it's ******* AMAZING fun.
Reply 18
Its not just the nightlife that makes it fun, its also the sheer amount of socieites, and how involved you can get in them!! There are societies fo everyone!!
*L.C*
Sorry if it sounds rude :frown: Its just that it's a small place coming from london it scares me how small it is.Please tell there are lots of fun things to do ? and the nightlife isn't too shoddy..Just trying to decide a firm between Lancaster and huddersfield.
Honesty appreciated :smile:
thankyouu x

I live in Huddersfield and chose lancaster uni and I wouldn't have chosen Huddersfield over Lancaster (even though I am a true 'uddersfield girl :smile:)

Lancaster is a bit smaller than huddersfield, and is actually very similar but uni wise, Lancaster is a lotttt better, has a better reputation and has such a welcoming attitude. Although being on campus probably makes it a lot better for me as that is what I looked for.

Nightlife wise, they are pretty similar, maybe Huddersfield has the edge of being a tiny bit louder, but If you walk down the side of kingsgate to the uni, that really is more or less all that Huddersfield has to offer where as Lancs is more spread out and has more places to choose from. Plus lancaster is sooo much more student based as we are really their main income so most nights are student nights but Hudd really seems to only be wednesday and friday.

I hope I could give some advice but if you need anymore help feel free to pm me, I'm on County's JCR too so I can offer a fair bit of insight!

Latest

Trending

Trending