Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Hoping some of you out there can give me some advice.
    I joined the Royal Air Force at 17 with average GCSE's and left last year. I have always fancied going into PE teaching and wondered where to go next?

Can i go into teaching or are these grades too low to be accepted to a uni?

Also, what different avenues are there into teaching? I have looked on a few websites but it's hard to filter out the rubbish.

Thanks for reading this and i hope some of you can help???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stu_85)
    Hi,

Hoping some of you out there can give me some advice.
    I joined the Royal Air Force at 17 with average GCSE's and left last year. I have always fancied going into PE teaching and wondered where to go next?

Can i go into teaching or are these grades too low to be accepted to a uni?

Also, what different avenues are there into teaching? I have looked on a few websites but it's hard to filter out the rubbish.

Thanks for reading this and i hope some of you can help???
    I think your best option is to start at a FE College. There you can take up A levels such as PE, Biology etc that will help towards making an application for PE at University.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Go directly to the universities and colleges that provide teacher training for PE.

I presume there are minimum qualifications for teaching. However, for non teaching degrees but many universities are prepared to take military service into consideration so long as you can show certain skills and characteristics (which if you got to J/SNCO you certainly would be able to). I'm not sure how that leeway plays out in the specific case of teaching though, and I guess only the specific institutions could make that call.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.