Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It'll be just like a fairytale if it's all true

/homo

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InvoluntarySlacker)
    They contacted you. :confused:

I don't want to be a sceptic but have you asked for proof? Are you willing to a DNA test? It's better to be safe before flying thousands of miles to a potential trap in a foreign country.
    how would a randomer on facebook know if someone didnt know their father or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InvoluntarySlacker)
    They contacted you. :confused:

I don't want to be a sceptic but have you asked for proof? Are you willing to a DNA test? It's better to be safe before flying thousands of miles to a potential trap in a foreign country.
    A potential trap? Its NZ not Somalia, I don't think they're going to be holding her at gunpoint.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just be wary. Someone, via facebook, has offered you your wildest dreams plus 21 years worth of presents. A big family full of people all eager to meet you.

Ask for some sort of proof, other than them knowing things about you - people can find things out about other people if they try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthi-SH)
    how would a randomer on facebook know if someone didnt know their father or not?
    If it's some sort of scam they just have to either do a bit of research, or send out emails to loads of people. Most will reply back telling them that they must be mistaken, the ones without fathers will reply back asking for more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    A potential trap? Its NZ not Somalia, I don't think they're going to be holding her at gunpoint.
    Lol.

You shouldn't trust people on the internet. But yeah, what I said was kind of stupid as crime does not exist in NZ. :emo:

She should just be on the safe side and talk with her mother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    If it's some sort of scam they just have to either do a bit of research, or send out emails to loads of people. Most will reply back telling them that they must be mistaken, the ones without fathers will reply back asking for more.
    A scam in which they buy people flights to New Zealand and than give them loads of presents? Sounds like a great way to make money.

ReputationRep:
    wow I wish I could have another Baby All Gone or barbie doll.....a lil strange that they kept them. I wonder when he expected to give them back to you.

Make sure they are your real family though..may sound stupid but I don't think you want to travel all the way down under to be part of an abduction case.

If its legit...I'm very pleased that you now have all of this family to enjoy. Make sure they throw you a nice welcome party too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    I dont know why he left, I dont blame him though and I'm not angry. My mum wasn't the best mother in the world, she had tendancies to neglect and abuse. So after a while you just realise that people have issues that have nothing to do with you.

He got in contact with me. We are going to speak on the phone first of course and I'm not just going to leap on the first jet leaving for NZ. I don't doubt that its my family, there is no way someone could know stuff that he does. Also as it happens my little sister is the double of me. They all seem so enthuisiastic...my dad spoke to my sister about me for a long time, they all know about me and apparently my pictures are up in the house. My nana said that they decided to wait until I was 21, then theyd hire someone to find me. It all seems too good to be true...
    Just remember that he didn't just leave your mother, he left you aswell. Surely that deserves an answer? Good luck with everything though and I hope it works out

ReputationRep:
    Erm, just ask your mum if that's really the dad and you'll be fine for proof surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    I've never known my dad, he left when I was a baby. Until yesterday when suddenly my paternal grandmother found me on facebook and that caused a chain reaction which led to me speaking to my dad for the first time in my life. He's NZ'er and they want to fly me out (apparently they saved all my birthday and christmas presents). Has anyone else had a similar experience? In the space of 24 hours I've gone from having practically no family, to having 3 brothers, a sister, cousins, aunts, uncles and a dad. He wants to phone me, I don't know when to tell him to, or what would I say to him when he did...

Any advise appreciated

This is such lovely news!

I'm going to start with some advice i'm sure you're aware of and will be repeated by your loved ones, but don't have high expectations! It's your dad, its fantastic and many people can have high hopes when this sort of thing happens and can end up being let down, do bring yourself back to reality, it's happened very quickly but don't also forget what happened.

Firstly, I wouldn't go to new zealand to see him, i'd ask him to come to the UK first before you make a huge commitment, he owes you that much. You're young, and it's a new country to you and he could, well end up being something you don't want, and much worse- I'm sure you'd much rather meet your dad for the first time on your own ground, terms and in a safe environment before you make the commitment to do a long haul trip

Have you shared this news with your mother? How does she feel? I'd definately speak with her about it, and discuss your emotions openly, this will affect her too.

Finally, congratulations- i truly hope you're happy together, and he's a lovely man. I love my dad to bits, and they can be the greatest man in a womans life :p:

ReputationRep:
    A scam in which they buy people flights to New Zealand and than give them loads of presents? Sounds like a great way to make money.
    Is your first reaction to scams that (for example) include marrying rich people similar to this? "How are they going to make money if they marry me and lose half of their stuff??" If it'd be a scam, not everything is going to be honest. Quite obviously....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George Agdgdgwngo)
    Just remember that he didn't just leave your mother, he left you aswell. Surely that deserves an answer? Good luck with everything though and I hope it works out
    You'd think I'd never thought that :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure he understands what he did, I don't know what else to ask from him.

"You left me, so spend every minute of the next 20 years making it up to me"

Not my style...

ReputationRep:
    Probably just tricking you into buying a time share

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    I'd just be wary. Someone, via facebook, has offered you your wildest dreams plus 21 years worth of presents. A big family full of people all eager to meet you.

Ask for some sort of proof, other than them knowing things about you - people can find things out about other people if they try.
    Not 21 years of presents, more a big 21st. How they managed to get the entire family tree right, names, places, even my dads company page, family photos, people I've spoken to before (my cousin)...must be a class scam.

ReputationRep:
    good luck op,. go for it i say and it's great you're not bitter. :hugs: malsy.

ReputationRep:
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I've had a very similar experience with my Dad's side of the family over the last month. PM me if you want to talk as I would rather not share it all here!

ReputationRep:
    He deserted you when you were a baby. If I was you, I'd desert him. See how he likes it.

But that's just me.

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine they would kidnap her and ransom to recover the costs involved.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.