Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I have the right to defend myself if I am attacked? Watch

My friend and I were attacked last year by a large group of people. Not much damage was done in that instance, as we were able to get away.

But if I was attacked again, what are my rights?

Can I physically hit them back, or does the law require me to run?
    What are the pre-requisites before I can retalliate, and what are the limits to this?
    What is a citizens arrest, and are you allowed to give one to an assailant?

Do you have similar or different rights if you catch a burglar in your house?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Afraid you just have to lay on the ground and take it like a champ.

ReputationRep:
    Reasonable and proportionate force.

ReputationRep:
    I think self defense is justifiable as long as it doesn't cross over to manslaughter!

ReputationRep:
    If they hit you first then you have the right to defend yourself. If you feel threatened but they do not physically or verbally threaten you then you cannot do anything. except run away...FAST

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What are the pre-requisites before I can retalliate, and what are the limits to this?
    "Reasonable and Proportional Force" Good ol' personal interpretation.

As those who are judging your actions have the benefit of hindsight as well as not having been there, in a Labour influenced Judiciary; you'll go down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IB_Sushi_Parisienne)
    If they hit you first then you have the right to defend yourself. If you feel threatened but they do not physically or verbally threaten you then you cannot do anything. except run away...FAST
    Not strictly the case.
    If you genuinely believe you are about to be attacked, you are well within your rights to strike preemptively (i.e. first,) using reasonable force to eliminate the threat.

Reasonable force is judged by you at the time, but you would have to be able to demonstrate afterward to police/jury that it was justified and not excessive.

E.g if someone was coming at you with a sword and shouted "I'm going to cut your head off," and you managed to pick up a brick that just happened to be on the road, swung it at their head once, knocking them out, before fleeing, then even if they happened to die as a result of the injury, that could be deemed reasonable force and you'd face no legal repercussions.

If the same thing happened, but after knocking the guy out, you then proceeded to smash his head to pieces with repeated strikes of the brick, that is clearly excessive and not necessary force to eliminate a threat to yourself, so you could easily end up in jail.

Main points:
    If possible, avoid trouble at all costs.
    If you do genuinely feel you are going to be attacked, react first, hit hard, fast and aggressively till the threat is subdued, then flee. (Action is quicker than reaction, "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6
    More often than not, it is what you say to the police AFTER an incident that lands you in bother.
    Don't give a statement without speaking to a lawyer if you're uncertain. You're well within your rights to do so.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can defend yourself, providing the force you use back is reasonable and in proportion to the offence.

ReputationRep:
    If you were to punch the attacker or use any weapon of your own on the attacker then you'd be in trouble if they reported you, if they tried to attack you with some sort of weapon and you managed to get hold of it and then attack them then personal experience would show that you'd be fine and well within your rights.

ReputationRep:
    If you're worried take self-defence classes, i've done them and now feel so much better about being out at night. I was told that you are allowed to use reasonable force (e.g. forcing them to the floor etc, kicking shins) if they are being threatening/holding on to you. If they are actually trying to hurt you/strangle you/hit you then you can pretty much do anything within reason, hit them, kick them etc. Just no murder/eye gouging etc. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My friend and I were attacked last year by a large group of people. Not much damage was done in that instance, as we were able to get away.

Thank you.
    Like everybody has said, your act has to be reasonably proportionate and genuinely be threatened. However the law also requires that if you have any form of escape, then you must take it. If you are outside this might be problematic, depending on how many assailants there are. If you are trapped inside with a burglar then self defence just has to be proportionate to the threat. Generally you cannot retaliate, in any circumstance.

I think for making a citizen arrest, you have to sure that by doing so you will be preventing a crime that is reasonably foreseeable. Im not sure but you have to alert the police asap.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen...United_Kingdom

ReputationRep:
    taking self defence classes is a good idea but think about it in the long run. Make sure the person who is teaching you self defence knows what they are doing. I took lessons and the teacher wasnt very useful and the class knew more from personal experience.

ReputationRep:
    You have the right to defend yourself. I seriously think they should legalise pepper spray in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Learn Krav Maga, seriously.

It's always best to get away though, even 1 on 1. 2 on 1 and you're at a major disadvantage. Krav Maga gives you the best chance to drop at least one of them and get out of there.

If someone throws fists at me in the street I have no problems kicking, punching or using knees and elbows. Anyone comes at me with a knife and I won't hold back at all, eye gouging, throat punching, the works.

(Original post by bittersweetxsymphony)
    You have the right to defend yourself. I seriously think they should legalise pepper spray in the UK.
    This, or something similar.

I was attacked recently by four girls, from behind (and as far as I'm aware, completely unprovoked) and I suffered a broken nose.

The only defence I had was to kick one of them away from me when I fell back onto a bench. Which didn't do all that much anyway considering I could only kick one of them.

ReputationRep:
    We had a lesson in school
    We were told you can gouge their eyes out or rip their ears off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittersweetxsymphony)
    I seriously think they should legalise pepper spray in the UK.
    You're an idiot. I don't want any criminal or indeed any member of the public walking around the streets with a chemical weapon in their pocket.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure it's directly proportional to the threat you are facing. So if someone tries to hit you and you stab them, that's not allowed, but if someone tries to knife you and manage to turn the knife on them then you are acting in self defence.

ReputationRep:
    depends what clothes do you wear? and what music do you listen to? these have a serious effect on whether you are allowed to defend yourself....

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 11, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.