Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Student bank account for EU students watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if anyone can help me out with this. I am from Poland and will most certainly start higher education in England in September or October this year. I am now in the middle of all the financial procedures and have one basic question: Do I need to have an account in a British bank to get some kind of financial support or is an account in a Polish bank sufficient? In fact, I have neither of them as for now, so it does not really matter which one I will have to set up, it just matters which one is better for the purposes for which I want it to be used. Oh, and can I actually have an account in a British bank without really being resident or even staying in Britain at the moment?

Thanks in advance for any kind of help!

ReputationRep:
    You will probably have to pay a monthly fee for a UK account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mufiak)
    I wonder if anyone can help me out with this. I am from Poland and will most certainly start higher education in England in September or October this year. I am now in the middle of all the financial procedures and have one basic question: Do I need to have an account in a British bank to get some kind of financial support or is an account in a Polish bank sufficient? In fact, I have neither of them as for now, so it does not really matter which one I will have to set up, it just matters which one is better for the purposes for which I want it to be used. Oh, and can I actually have an account in a British bank without really being resident or even staying in Britain at the moment?

Thanks in advance for any kind of help!
    Not if you're only getting tuition fee grants I don't think. As far as I know, you only need a bank account to have maintenance loans paid in (which EU students aren't eligible for unless they've been resident in the UK for 3 years before their course).

But if you're going to be studying in the UK, having an account there will be a good idea just to make day-to-day money things easier (especially if you're planning to get a job).

You cannot open a bank account in the UK until you arrive though, as you need to prove you're resident in the UK. I am pretty sure there is no way for someone from the EU to get a student account. International student accounts seem to exclude people resident in the EU (and usually has a monthly fee and/or a minimum balance of usually several thousand pounds) and normal student accounts usually include the condition that you've been resident in the UK for three years. I certainly haven't found any for EU students.

It may be easier though if you can find a bank in your home country which also has branches in the UK (HSBC or Barclays tend to have branches in other countries for example), as then obviously if you have an account with them they should simply be able to transfer your account to a UK branch.

Opening an account in the UK is a pain in the neck. The last time I was in the UK trying to open an account (I'm a UK citizen but haven't lived there since I was 16) it was nearly impossible because I was staying with relatives, so didn't have anything the banks accept to prove address. If you have proof of address (such as uni accomodation lease) and a letter from your university showing you're studying there, and proof of your home address as well if your address is only in term time (usually needs to be a bill, or previous bank statement, or something official), you should be okay. This is pretty much what my sister had to show to open an account when she was at boarding school in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    HSBC have an account specifically for people coming to the UK from elsewhere. It'll cost you though.

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/passport

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.