Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi guys

Any 1 know what is advantage and disadvantage of the Displacement chromatography

ReputationRep:
    any body know about this??

ReputationRep:
    I know there are others types but the only type I have used is ion exchange chromatography, where you have either acid infused silica (benzene sulphonic acid modifier -SCX) or base infused silica (amino propyl modifier - NH2). When you put your mixture onto the column and wash with methanol, anything acidic will stick to an NH2 column and anything basic will stick to an SCX column, allowing you to wash everything else away. You then elute your compound of interest by washing the column with a stronger acid/base which will displace it from the silica.

The main advantage is that it allows you to rapidly separate ionisable compounds from neutral ones when the use of normal silica would give poor separation. If your product is the only acidic/basic thing in there, then this would be the quickest purification by chromatography. It also allows you to extract compounds from non-volatile solvents such as DMSO.

A disadvantage is that it's a little bit more fiddly. You can'y apply too much pressure as the ionic interactions need time. Also, if you have more than one ionisable compound in there then you'll need to do further purification afterwards.

I know I have only talked about one type of displacement chromatography but I'm afraid this is the only one I have come across. Wikipedia has a whole page on it which you might want to take a look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displac...chromatography

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.