Turn on thread page Beta

Am I an ungrateful *****? watch

My mum's now not talking to me because she says I'm a f****** ungrateful *****, I was just wondering what the people of TSR thought?

A few weeks ago my dad took me out to look at cars, asking me which ones I liked, etc, cause he was gonna buy me one. He asked if I liked the VW Fox and I said no. Since then he's asked me another few times and I'm always saying "nah not really". Regardless, he phoned me yesterday and said he was taking me to the garage to choose what colour of VW Fox I wanted. He was getting me a new one and trading in his old car. Whilst at the garage I saw a second-hand Polo which had 7000 miles on the clock and has 18 months left on its warranty. It's £600 dearer than the Fox. I said I'd pay the £600 of a difference, as I really like the Polo, and feel as though the Fox wouldn't be my car cause my dad's just done everything without telling me and I don't like the car at all. It doesn't bother me whether it's been owned before or whatever, I really like the Polo. Also, it's the better of the two cars and it has 5 star safety rating in comparison to the Fox's 4.

My mum, however, said the Fox makes more financial sense (which is fair enough, but I still really prefer the Polo!) and has decided that it's Fox or nothing, I'm not allowed to get the Polo even if I pay the difference.

Fair enough, I'm happy to be getting bought a car at all, as I know many people aren't as lucky as that, but I see it this way: I asked my mum at Christmas if she was thinking about buying me clothes if she could maybe get me vouchers instead and I'd buy them myself (she usually buys me hideous things that I wear once just so I don't hurt her feelings then shove at the back of my cupboard), and she said yes of course. What's the difference!?

ReputationRep:
    hmm to be honest you sound grateful so I don't understand why you can't have the car you want if you're willing to put the money towards it, unless it's your mums way of showing you that you can't have what you want all the time? I dunno?

ReputationRep:
    Sulk? everyone knows the polo is far superior to the Fox =]

ReputationRep:
    you sound reasonable

ReputationRep:
    yeah, you are an ungrateful *****.

Oh and you dont need to thank me for that insight, I know ungrateful and selfish people dont appreciate criticism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My mum's now not talking to me because she says I'm a f****** ungrateful *****, I was just wondering what the people of TSR thought?

A few weeks ago my dad took me out to look at cars, asking me which ones I liked, etc, cause he was gonna buy me one. He asked if I liked the VW Fox and I said no. Since then he's asked me another few times and I'm always saying "nah not really". Regardless, he phoned me yesterday and said he was taking me to the garage to choose what colour of VW Fox I wanted. He was getting me a new one and trading in his old car. Whilst at the garage I saw a second-hand Polo which had 7000 miles on the clock and has 18 months left on its warranty. It's £600 dearer than the Fox. I said I'd pay the £600 of a difference, as I really like the Polo, and feel as though the Fox wouldn't be my car cause my dad's just done everything without telling me and I don't like the car at all. It doesn't bother me whether it's been owned before or whatever, I really like the Polo. Also, it's the better of the two cars and it has 5 star safety rating in comparison to the Fox's 4.

My mum, however, said the Fox makes more financial sense (which is fair enough, but I still really prefer the Polo!) and has decided that it's Fox or nothing, I'm not allowed to get the Polo even if I pay the difference.

Fair enough, I'm happy to be getting bought a car at all, as I know many people aren't as lucky as that, but I see it this way: I asked my mum at Christmas if she was thinking about buying me clothes if she could maybe get me vouchers instead and I'd buy them myself (she usually buys me hideous things that I wear once just so I don't hurt her feelings then shove at the back of my cupboard), and she said yes of course. What's the difference!?
    In a way you are... especially if its your first car... cuz im jealous you hardly have 2 pay...

ReputationRep:
    I don't blame you to be honest, the fox is a terrible car compared to the usual VW range. The car is something that YOU will have to live with, not them so even though it is their money at the end of the day it should be down to what you are happy with.

ReputationRep:
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they're worried about the insurance?
    I think you should just go with the Fox, my parents chose my car for me, just be happy that it's a car!

I'm not saying you're incredibly ungrateful, I just think you should consider their point of view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superspaceship)
    thanks
    For what?

ReputationRep:
    If your dad is trading his old car he is probably getting 2 grand off the fox because it is new. Pay that *****!

ReputationRep:
    it depends on more than just which you prefer, especially if your dad is selling his car to fund this. theres the costs of insurance, tax, fueling the car, maintenance and repairs etc. i've no idea about the specifics for each car but it may be a reason they're stearing you towards the fox. But no it seems like a fair enough argument, even if we've only heard one side of it

ReputationRep:
    i want a free car

(Original post by sylarfangirl)
    Maybe they're worried about the insurance?
    I think you should just go with the Fox, my parents chose my car for me, just be happy that it's a car!

I'm not saying you're incredibly ungrateful, I just think you should consider their point of view.
    It's in the same insurance bracket so it's not that, but thanks It's just, stupid as it sounds, I feel no attachment to the Fox, but I can see myself in the Polo

ReputationRep:
    Can your daddy still trade in his car if you get the old used polo- i thought it was only with new cars. My sister just got a polo- a few years old and they are pretty expensive but smart as ****.

Dont know much about cars- but jsut googled the fox and it looks a bit like a polo mixed with a toyota yaris. I would just be happy for any car if i was you. And plus i would be chuffed with a new car- knowing that some old dirty granny hasnt been touching it all up. Get the new car- also i am guessing when you sell it on, you will get more despite it being cheaper now. Anyway, in the meantime, stop being an ungreatful spiteful *****! lol.

my mum just called me a sad excuse for a daughter

ReputationRep:
    oh yeh- if you have to settle for that crap car- just crash it the next day(and bend the rear axel), thats what i did!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think your taking everything into consideration here, and taking a (forgive me here) typical female view of cars.

The chances are if you were looking at a Used Polo that is £600 dearer than a brand new Fox, then it's going to have quite a large engine. I haven't looked at your profile so I don't know how old you are but I can only assume your either 17/18 as reading this makes it seem like your first car. A Fox (I imagine it would have been maybe a 1.2?) has a nice small engine and more importantly, will be low(er) insurance and low tax banding, something you seem to have completely overlooked as I assume your Dad is paying for that as well. A Polo (7000 miles suggests only a year old or so) will be significantly higher on the scale in terms of both tax and insurance. You may say your willing to pay the extra £600, but I wouldn't bet against there being that much difference in terms of insurance if your 17/18 and trying to get comprehensive cover on a '58 1.8 Polo, even if it is car of the year. Plus, the Fox won't eat petrol as much as the Polo, which will also help your pockets.

Your not being ungrateful as such, your just being very narrow minded over cars. There is a lot more expense involved than just buying it and the £600 you make up on the purchase cost might mean that your Dad then has to pay more for insurance, tax and petrol, in amongst other things. Aside from that, a new car is less likely to fail on you and he will get a cracking warranty from VW for it as well.

Hope that helps, and doesn't come across rude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    my mum just called me a sad excuse for a daughter

Well, say the Fox is a sad excuse for a car....

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why they are having an issue with it. But if I were you I'd just be grateful to be bought a car, and would take that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.