Turn on thread page Beta

Am I an ungrateful *****? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superspaceship)
    thanks
    you're welcome

(Original post by Nico_SU)
    I don't think your taking everything into consideration here, and taking a (forgive me here) typical female view of cars.

The chances are if you were looking at a Used Polo that is £600 dearer than a brand new Fox, then it's going to have quite a large engine. I haven't looked at your profile so I don't know how old you are but I can only assume your either 17/18 as reading this makes it seem like your first car. A Fox (I imagine it would have been maybe a 1.2?) has a nice small engine and more importantly, will be low(er) insurance and low tax banding, something you seem to have completely overlooked as I assume your Dad is paying for that as well. A Polo (7000 miles suggests only a year old or so) will be significantly higher on the scale in terms of both tax and insurance. You may say your willing to pay the extra £600, but I wouldn't bet against there being that much difference in terms of insurance if your 17/18 and trying to get comprehensive cover on a '58 1.8 Polo, even if it is car of the year. Plus, the Fox won't eat petrol as much as the Polo, which will also help your pockets.

Your not being ungrateful as such, your just being very narrow minded over cars. There is a lot more expense involved than just buying it and the £600 you make up on the purchase cost might mean that your Dad then has to pay more for insurance, tax and petrol, in amongst other things. Aside from that, a new car is less likely to fail on you and he will get a cracking warranty from VW for it as well.

Hope that helps, and doesn't come across rude
    They're both in the same tax bracket and same for insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    i want a free car
    Don't we all? :rolleyes: :o: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You got bought a car!!! regardless of what it is you should think yourself lucky!

(yes I am jealous )

ReputationRep:
    This EXACT situation happened to my sister for her 21st, a month ago! I thought you were her for a moment.

My dad offered her a car, and made it sound like she could choose it, but he very openly made it clear which cars he was willing to buy for her, and which he wasn't, regardless of the price. He asked her to pick the colour she wanted, and she said anything but red - he then offered her 3 red cars, and a silver one, and made her choose. He's a reasonable man, and to him it was price, mileage, how economic the car was, insurance quotes, manual/automatic, etc - dad's don't really tend to think about how fussy or emotional their daughters will get over cars!!

Anyway they had a big fight about it, and my dad explained that it was a gift he wanted to give her to make her happy, and her being so fussy and picky was kind of taking it for granted and taking the sugar-coating off the gift, and making him regret offering it - and he felt she wasn't appreciating quite how much money he was going to be spending on her.

Maybe that's what your parents may be thinking? It's such a frustrating situation, I really feel for you. Sometimes things are just so unreasonable it actually hurts! I personally prefer the polo, too, and 8000 miles isn't half bad.

OP, just try to keep your head straight, don't argue back or they'll say they're justified. Say you appreciate what your parents are doing for you, and that you appreciate the amount of money they're spending, and that you really would like to enjoy the car as much as possible. As it's such a big purchase, you'd rather get something you really like and therefore make the money the best spend possible - so you love the car. State reasonably the comparison between the two cars, and again offer to make up the difference (£600). Is the insurance going to be any different? Edit: just saw you said the insurances are the same, and same tax bracket. Use this in your favour OP, state exactly what the differences are between the cars, and perhaps ask calmly why your dad favours the fox - he may have a valid reason you've not thought of. If the ONLY difference is the make/£600 which you're willing to pay, they should be able to see where you're coming from.

Again, I really feel for you OP. Feel better, and ignore any insults, just try to stay calm. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    You should be lucky you only have to pay £600 (if that) I have to pay fully for my car which we used the scrappage on.

And the reason you're getting the cheaper Fox? It's new, insurance companies like that. And since your dad's scrapping HIS old car, he gets £2000 off the price of the Fox. Which is why it's cheaper than the Polo. The Fox (if I'm not mistaken) is ~£65/year road tax, it'll use less petrol as a new car and will run perfectly.

Be happy your dad's buying you a car at all. VW Fox's aren't bad cars. How many 17/18 YO's do you know with really nice cars that they own? You'll need it for what? To go to and from school, and to go shopping. You won't need to look flash in it.

(Original post by sam188)
    Well, say the Fox is a sad excuse for a car....
    You just sound like a spoiled child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lefneosan)
    If your dad is trading his old car he is probably getting 2 grand off the fox because it is new. Pay that *****!

Exactly- this little fact probably flew right over missy's head. So she actually has to pay £2600 more.

ReputationRep:
    You do sound slightly ungrateful - your parents are spending several thousand pounds on a car that they thought you'd really like, and what you're effectively saying is that it's not enough (if you see what I mean). It sounds pretty generous to me, I'd just be grateful I was getting anything since most people I know have to pay for their own cars.

ReputationRep:
    You just sound like a spoiled child.[/QUOTE]

Dude, if my mother called me a sorry excuse for a son, i would slap her all over the place. And there you are, worried about my opinion on some crappy hatchbacks. Tbh, i couldn't give a flying **** what car i had at this age, as they're all ****** little small cars, and i was merely giving the girl a comeback to shove in her lippy mother's face. What she said was completely uncalled for. Noone should have to drive a car they don't want to drive. That's not being spoilt, picky mayb, but then all girls bloody are. By the way, i'm far from spoiled.

(Original post by punkyrocker)
    This EXACT situation happened to my sister for her 21st, a month ago! I thought you were her for a moment.

My dad offered her a car, and made it sound like she could choose it, but he very openly made it clear which cars he was willing to buy for her, and which he wasn't, regardless of the price. He asked her to pick the colour she wanted, and she said anything but red - he then offered her 3 red cars, and a silver one, and made her choose. He's a reasonable man, and to him it was price, mileage, how economic the car was, insurance quotes, manual/automatic, etc - dad's don't really tend to think about how fussy or emotional their daughters will get over cars!!

Anyway they had a big fight about it, and my dad explained that it was a gift he wanted to give her to make her happy, and her being so fussy and picky was kind of taking it for granted and taking the sugar-coating off the gift, and making him regret offering it - and he felt she wasn't appreciating quite how much money he was going to be spending on her.

Maybe that's what your parents may be thinking? It's such a frustrating situation, I really feel for you. Sometimes things are just so unreasonable it actually hurts! I personally prefer the polo, too, and 8000 miles isn't half bad.

OP, just try to keep your head straight, don't argue back or they'll say they're justified. Say you appreciate what your parents are doing for you, and that you appreciate the amount of money they're spending, and that you really would like to enjoy the car as much as possible. As it's such a big purchase, you'd rather get something you really like and therefore make the money the best spend possible - so you love the car. State reasonably the comparison between the two cars, and again offer to make up the difference (£600). Is the insurance going to be any different? Edit: just saw you said the insurances are the same, and same tax bracket. Use this in your favour OP, state exactly what the differences are between the cars, and perhaps ask calmly why your dad favours the fox - he may have a valid reason you've not thought of. If the ONLY difference is the make/£600 which you're willing to pay, they should be able to see where you're coming from.

Again, I really feel for you OP. Feel better, and ignore any insults, just try to stay calm. :hugs:
    Too late, I argued back and now my mum hates me because of a joke I made about it to my dad that she took seriously. She said I'm a "sad excuse for a daughter", by text. I replied "Cheers for that, meant a lot. Maybe you should've put me in a home or something, I've obviously f***** up your life dreadfully." Don't see me getting a car after that :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the problem with you buying the Polo if you are paying the difference it will still cost your parents the same.

Ps. you should get the Polo, I have one and I love it!

(Original post by sarah430)
    You do sound slightly ungrateful - your parents are spending several thousand pounds on a car that they thought you'd really like, and what you're effectively saying is that it's not enough (if you see what I mean). It sounds pretty generous to me, I'd just be grateful I was getting anything since most people I know have to pay for their own cars.
    They've known I don't like it from the beginning, it's made no difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah430)

Omg- She doesnt like the Fox. She doesnt want it. Are you implying that money should buy one's gratitude. For **** sake people if she doesn't like the hideous looking car she doesnt have to pretend too, so her mother doesn't call her a sorry excuse for a daughter. Tell your mum to get ****** and have the car herself if she really like it, the soppy cow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Too late, I argued back and now my mum hates me because of a joke I made about it to my dad that she took seriously. She said I'm a "sad excuse for a daughter", by text. I replied "Cheers for that, meant a lot. Maybe you should've put me in a home or something, I've obviously f***** up your life dreadfully." Don't see me getting a car after that :rofl:
    Mmm... I can understand you getting a bit frustrated at this situation, but you have to try to stay mature in a situation like this! Oh well, OP, feel better anyway, car or not! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Exactly- this little fact probably flew right over missy's head. So she actually has to pay £2600 more.
    Missy? :rofl:
    And no, all in there is £600 of a difference.
    Edit: Anon fail. Oh well...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'd drive a facking skoda if it meant I was getting one for free. For God's sake, it's a piece of machinery to get you from A to B. It's not a fashion accessory.

Yes, imo, you're extremely ungrateful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    Missy? :rofl:
    And no, all in there is £600 of a difference.
    Edit: Anon fail. Oh well...:rolleyes:
    You should get tinted windows whatever the car- You look like a right dog in your profile picture

Can your dad still trade in his car if you get the polo though? Your mum is a mouthy ***** btw.

ReputationRep:
    no you arnt being, its not like you are throwing a strop and asking your parents to pay the extra 600 quid you are offereing to pay that yourself

IMO i think your parents are being unreasonable

ReputationRep:
    You should get tinted windows whatever the car- You look like a right dog in your profile picture

Can your dad still trade in his car if you get the polo though? Your mum is a mouthy ***** btw.
    :rofl: I was really offended there till I realised what you were on about :p:
    Yeah but he only gets £250 for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I'd drive a facking skoda if it meant I was getting one for free. For God's sake, it's a piece of machinery to get you from A to B. It's not a fashion accessory.

Yes, imo, you're extremely ungrateful.
    This.

I was prepared to drive a 15 year old Citroen AX until my dad suggested we use the scrappage scheme. I think I would've prefered it because now I don't have to fork out £60/month for the next five years instead of just insurance/petrol.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.