Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    Really? How so?

Ooh, nice!

Nah, course not. I was hurt after my mum's comment and lost my rag. Agreed. Now to find the time to sit down as a family....easier said than done, lol.
    Car's that are essentially 'straight out of the show room' need to be handled with care. It's not strictly as essential to run the engine in as it used to be (thanks to high quality engineering and oils), but if you've any sense you check the hand book/ask the dealership about how to handle the car in the initial phase (usually limited revs for the first thousand miles to let everything bed in) thus extending the life/efficiency of the engine. I've had 2 cars from brand new and both also had to go back to the dealer for their brakes checking/adjusting and some other bits checking at certain intervals - they seemed to spend more time with the dealer than with me. You also need to watch your oil and coolant levels carefully as oil consumption can be high for the first few thousand miles and then generally settles down (I found that it settled after 5-6k).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Well the offer's on the table, you take it or leave it. They're your parents and if they say it's a Fox or nothing, then take the damn car! :rolleyes:
    I will....if they still let me :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    How many 17/18 YO's do you know with really nice cars that they own?
    Most of my friends have brand new cooper S minis or VW Beetle convertibles, one has a maserati. I'm being serious.

And OP I can see where you're coming from. Foxes scream 'young inexperianced driver' whereas Polos seem a bit more average. I have one 10 years old, mind! So you're lucky to have the options of 2 very new cars but good luck for getting the polo

ReputationRep:
    And I will be grateful for whichever car I get, I'd just prefer the Polo!
    Then, if I were you, I'd just drop it. It just seems to be causing hassle, and putting your parents' backs up when they're trying to be nice. I don't think you're acting like an ungrateful child, nor do I really understand why they won't just let you pay the difference and get the polo - but, they clearly do have some sort of problem with it.

Is it really worth going through all of this effort, and souring the nice gift you're getting? I'd just say, you know what, I'd love to have the fox, thank you very much and then sit back and let them simmer down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    Then, if I were you, I'd just drop it. It just seems to be causing hassle, and putting your parents' backs up when they're trying to be nice. I don't think you're acting like an ungrateful child, nor do I really understand why they won't just let you pay the difference and get the polo - but, they clearly do have some sort of problem with it.

Is it really worth going through all of this effort, and souring the nice gift you're getting? I'd just say, you know what, I'd love to have the fox, thank you very much and then sit back and let them simmer down.
    Now that I've had time to calm down, I feel the same. Still, not seen my mum since I swore at her for the first time EVER, so more arguing will no doubt occur later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I don't care. I think even moaning about a car you're not even paying for is extremely spoilt child behaviour.

I honestly dispair sometimes. There's no way in HELL my parents could afford to buy me a car, and if by some major miracle they did, I'd be SO happy I didn't have to have however many thousands of pounds worth of debt on my hands and being able to be independant would be an absolute joy. It'd be heaven to have a car.

Some people just don't know how lucky a position they're in.
    Do you have a house, or a flat, or a roof over your head? Do you get food, some of the time? Do you have access to healthcare if you need it?
    If the answer to any of these is yes, you have no right to complain about anything wrong in your life, because you're far more lucky than a good billion people in the world.

This thread shouldn't be a case of "omgzzz, it's so unfair that you've got that! Yes you're being a spoilt brat, because you're talking about something rationally but it's something that I don't have so therefore you're being spoiled!"

Some people are more lucky and have more options than other people. Deal with it. What matters is how you act and what you do. The OP hasn't given any reason for being unreasonable apart from the fact that she doesn't necessarily want the car her dad has unquestionably set his heart on, but she's seen a car that she'd prefer, and is willing to pay the difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Referee)
    Car's that are essentially 'straight out of the show room' need to be handled with care. It's not strictly as essential to run the engine in as it used to be (thanks to high quality engineering and oils), but if you've any sense you check the hand book/ask the dealership about how to handle the car in the initial phase (usually limited revs for the first thousand miles to let everything bed in) thus extending the life/efficiency of the engine. I've had 2 cars from brand new and both also had to go back to the dealer for their brakes checking/adjusting and some other bits checking at certain intervals - they seemed to spend more time with the dealer than with me. You also need to watch your oil and coolant levels carefully as oil consumption can be high for the first few thousand miles and then generally settles down (I found that it settled after 5-6k).
    Thanks for that info!
    Parents haven't pointed that out, they've been bumming brand new cars :p:

ReputationRep:
    If it's an old blocky polo then don't do it get a nice new Fox unless it's an old Fox then don't do it.

Tell your Dad to go back to the Garage/ Showroom, whatever and get a refund !!

Youj might risk getting battered by your Parents but at least you won't have a crappy car even though they are both crappy anyways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooj)
    If it's an old blocky polo then don't do it get a nice new Fox unless it's an old Fox then don't do it.

Tell your Dad to go back to the Garage/ Showroom, whatever and get a refund !!

Youj might risk getting battered by your Parents but at least you won't have a crappy car even though they are both crappy anyways.
    It's new ones of both, and he hasn't signed yet. Has all the paperwork for the Fox ready though.

ReputationRep:
    Or just win the Lottery and get Lamborghini Murcielago !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doodahdoo)
    Do you have a house, or a flat, or a roof over your head? Do you get food, some of the time? Do you have access to healthcare if you need it?
    If the answer to any of these is yes, you have no right to complain about anything wrong in your life, because you're far more lucky than a good billion people in the world.

This thread shouldn't be a case of "omgzzz, it's so unfair that you've got that! Yes you're being a spoilt brat, because you're talking about something rationally but it's something that I don't have so therefore you're being spoiled!"

Some people are more lucky and have more options than other people. Deal with it. What matters is how you act and what you do. The OP hasn't given any reason for being unreasonable apart from the fact that she doesn't necessarily want the car her dad has unquestionably set his heart on, but she's seen a car that she'd prefer, and is willing to pay the difference.
    I have a roof over my head yes, but I don't complain to TSR that my house is too small or how desperate I am to move out. I'm grateful for what my parents have given me and continue to give me.

I think to come here and complain about not getting the car she wants, when being given such a lovely gesture, is IN MY OPINION ungrateful.

I don't care what she does. I'm just answering her question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooj)
    Or just win the Lottery and get Lamborghini Murcielago !!
    Eww, no.

ReputationRep:
    It's new ones of both, and he hasn't signed yet. Has all the paperwork for the Fox ready though.
    Mission Status:

Retrieve the Documents and dispose of them. You are then to proceed to your Dogs Living Quarters and place he evidence on Him/ Her !!

ReputationRep:
    I sound like a ****? What's the word missing? lol.
    I'd rather have a silver skoda than the fox, swap? :p:
    the missing word began with a t, ended in a t, and had w and a in the middle! and a skoda fabia? seriously? even with the protein shake and sweat stains? i think not...! anyway i hope it works out for you, you sound like you have a genuine structured point here

ReputationRep:
    Eww, no.
    You don't like Lamborghini's !?

Oh i see you work for Ferrari do you !?

LOL !!

ReputationRep:
    You are ungrateful! The only reason you don't want the fox is because you don't think you will look cool infront of your mates! How do I know this... well because you want the slightly cooler Polo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam188)
    Omg- She doesnt like the Fox. She doesnt want it. Are you implying that money should buy one's gratitude. For **** sake people if she doesn't like the hideous looking car she doesnt have to pretend too, so her mother doesn't call her a sorry excuse for a daughter. Tell your mum to get ****** and have the car herself if she really like it, the soppy cow.
    No, thats not what I meant at all. What I meant was that the OP's parents are offering to give her a brand new car FOR FREE and shes told them its not what she wants. Compared to the first cars of most of the people that I know, who have third or fourth hand wrecks that they have to pay for themselves, this offer sounds more than generous.
    Yes, paying the extra £600 sounds like a fair deal, but imo just sounds a little ungrateful towards her parents.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind a free VW Fox!

It's actually quite nice in Tornado Red - regardless, you don't seem ungrateful.

ReputationRep:
    Now that I've had time to calm down, I feel the same. Still, not seen my mum since I swore at her for the first time EVER, so more arguing will no doubt occur later.
    oh dear. I can't imagine what would happen if I swore at my mum! I'm sure it'll all sort itself out, it seems like it's escalated out of nothing really.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.