Homelessness and Benefits Watch

SoundDevastation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Its a bit of a long stretch, but people here tend to know about lots of random enexpected details, so its worth a try.

I dont have a fixed address. The building I live in cannot receive post and is not stable housing. Now this isnt something im trying to change.. all I want to know is, how do I go about claiming benefits from NFA (no fixed abode)?

I know its possible, but is it best to use a friends address, or can I collect Giros? How do I fill in the form?
hypocriticaljap
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://mobile.shelter.org.uk/get_adv...peoples_rights
friendly_fiend2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SoundDevastation)
Its a bit of a long stretch, but people here tend to know about lots of random enexpected details, so its worth a try.

I dont have a fixed address. The building I live in cannot receive post and is not stable housing. Now this isnt something im trying to change.. all I want to know is, how do I go about claiming benefits from NFA (no fixed abode)?

I know its possible, but is it best to use a friends address, or can I collect Giros? How do I fill in the form?
From looking at your anarchist flag, I'm guessing that you don't want to work because you don't want to contribute the big scary capitalists? Don't you think you're more of a drain on society by leeching off of the state?
SoundDevastation
Rep:
?
(Original post by friendly_fiend2)
From looking at your anarchist flag, I'm guessing that you don't want to work because you don't want to contribute the big scary capitalists? Don't you think you're more of a drain on society by leeching off of the state?
Im working towards getting part time work at a homeless charity actually. I already volunteer with them, I spend all my time doing voluntary work, helping people out with accommodation and cooking for large numbers of people. Just because im not contributing financially doesnt mean Im a drain on the community. I help other people on a daily basis... the anarchist flag just represents the fact that Id rather people helped each other, than relied on the government to do it for us.
friendly_fiend2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Im working towards getting part time work at a homeless charity actually. I already volunteer with them, I spend all my time doing voluntary work, helping people out with accommodation and cooking for large numbers of people. Just because im not contributing financially doesnt mean Im a drain on the community. I help other people on a daily basis... the anarchist flag just represents the fact that Id rather people helped each other, than relied on the government to do it for us.
Fair enough if you want to do voluntary work. However, when you say you're not contributing financially, that's fair enough, but don't claim benefits. It's one thing not contributing financially, and another thing to take.

On the second bit in bold, remember that the government is funded by people's hard work. Personally, I think you could contribute more to society by getting a job and paying taxes. The money that you are taking from the state could go towards schools or the NHS.
SoundDevastation
Rep:
?
Fair enough if you want to do voluntary work. However, when you say you're not contributing financially, that's fair enough, but don't claim benefits. It's one thing not contributing financially, and another thing to take.

On the second bit in bold, remember that the government is funded by people's hard work. Personally, I think you could contribute more to society by getting a job and paying taxes. The money that you are taking from the state could go towards schools or the NHS.
So you think that if someone spent all their time doing voluntary work... caring for people, feeding people, running community projects.. 40+ hours a week... they shouldnt claim benefits? volunteers collectively save lives and support people every day all over the world.

I could get a job and pay taxes. But would I be helping people who were struggling? would I be feeding and housing homeless people? no... id be making more money for thr rich, and ignoring the poor.
jjhall
Report 8 years ago
Hiya
erm im new to posting things lol
when me and my mam moved out of my dads we techniqually didnt have a fixed address, if you go to the job centre they can give you a a post office account card so you don't need any real address you can get into cashes into that account, they an sort it at the job center hope that helps
jjhall
Report 8 years ago
sorry that was meant to say you can get it cashed into the post office account card and they can sort it out at the job center
sorry
friendly_fiend2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So you think that if someone spent all their time doing voluntary work... caring for people, feeding people, running community projects.. 40+ hours a week... they shouldnt claim benefits? volunteers collectively save lives and support people every day all over the world.

I could get a job and pay taxes. But would I be helping people who were struggling? would I be feeding and housing homeless people? no... id be making more money for thr rich, and ignoring the poor.
I appreciate your volunteering work, but I still don't think you should be claiming benefits. In my opinion, I think it's a bit hypocritical of you to be taking money from the government when anarchy is about shunning government and authority.

Capitalism is not perfect, but ultimately, it is the system that provides the best standard of living for everyone. Capitalism provides a motive for people to do things more efficiently and provides employment. You wouldn't be on on this forum now if it wasn't the hard work of capitalists.

If you think that tribal, sustistance living is so idyllic and utopian, then I suggest you have a look at Bruce Parry's book, Tribe. I'd rather have education, healthcare and the welfare provided by living in a modern, developed capitalist country like Britain then go back to the stone age.
Boho Patch
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

It is quite ridiculous that comments like this clearly do not appreciate that voluntary work IS contributing to the economy!

If this person was not giving of their free time in an altruistic way, then the government would have to fund support workers to do their job, so therefore they are SAVING the government money by doing this work free and gratis.

Its not cool to judge about who can or cannot claim benefits, this isnt a person who wants something for nothing, they just want support while they are looking for work, and just in case you didnt know, the government themselves support this type of claimant , its called JOB SEEKERS ALLOWANCE!

How about you try being homeless for a couple of days with no access to a secure home, and the other things which make a person feel included in society, and on top of all that actually be working for nothing in order to support others?
Last edited by Boho Patch; 8 years ago
friendly_fiend2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by nextTOnothing)
Ah but someone who hates capitalism can argue that they no choice, if thats the way the country is run by capitalists..manipulating everyone for money then this works both ways! Its capitalism that made it the way that people are too busy slaving away to genuinly help each other to live, its capitalism that made is so she needs money to live so its not her fault is it? All she can do is voice and live by her beliefs..which she is doing with the voluntary work. The fact that she needs money to live is determined by capitalism not her.
Are you quite sure? I think you'll find that people have plenty enough spare time. Even if you work a full 40 hour week, you still get plenty of time to relax, go on holiday, sleep etc. If you look back to when Britain was run under a more communal system of open field farming, I think you'll find that people worked from sunrise to sunset and could often starve in times of dearth. Or look at hunter gathering tribes, they spend all day looking for a meal that they might not even get. Imagine spending all day looking for food, to not get any and go hungry, then after that you haven't got your internet to go on for entertainment. Seriously, you should feel Very lucky to live in a society like Britain.

And money is just a currency. So yes, you do need money to live in a capitalist society. You swap your services for other people's services - simples. It is true though that sometimes you swap your services in return for less services, but ultimately everyone gets a better standard of life.
Peakey
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think voluntary work is a good idea, but why can't you get a job helping people? You could work for childline or tearfund, or many other charities that help people, and you would get paid. Also most people who have jobs help others, teachers teach, engineers build bridges for the public, buisness men provide services and products. Isn't it just easier to fit into the conventional system than try to create you own?
friendly_fiend2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Boho Patch)
It is quite ridiculous that comments like this clearly do not appreciate that voluntary work IS contributing to the economy!

If this person was not giving of their free time in an altruistic way, then the government would have to fund support workers to do their job, so therefore they are SAVING the government money by doing this work free and gratis.

Its not cool to judge about who can or cannot claim benefits, this isnt a person who wants something for nothing, they just want support while they are looking for work, and just in case you didnt know, the government themselves support this type of claimant , its called JOB SEEKERS ALLOWANCE!

How about you try being homeless for a couple of days with no access to a secure home, and the other things which make a person feel included in society, and on top of all that actually be working for nothing in order to support others?
From SoundDevastation's first post, it wasn't clear that he / she was intending to look for a job. However, I have re - read his later post and can see that he is looking for a job. Fair enough to claim if he is looking for job, that is what it's there for. OP, if you stand by your anarchist virtues of not relying on the state, then I suggest you find yourself a means of supporting yourself soon that doesn't rely on the state. If you were to do your volunteer work whilst supporting yourself by hunting and gathering your food, I would have a lot of respect for that.
Boho Patch
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
From SoundDevastation's first post, it wasn't clear that he / she was intending to look for a job. However, I have re - read his later post and can see that he is looking for a job. Fair enough to claim if he is looking for job, that is what it's there for. OP, if you stand by your anarchist virtues of not relying on the state, then I suggest you find yourself a means of supporting yourself soon that doesn't rely on the state. If you were to do your volunteer work whilst supporting yourself by hunting and gathering your food, I would have a lot of respect for that.

Perhaps you are suggesting OP becomes a fregan?

My point is that as someone else pointed out, that money is just a currency, and before there was currency, people traded skills and goods.

The OP is not trading, but giving his time, and time is much more valuable than it is given credit for.

From what Op says, he gives 40 hours a week, and thats a weeks work in anyone s view.

He saves the government thousands and i dont feel that he is against the government, more so in favour of not relying on it if he can help it.

Someone else suggested working in a paid capacity for charities..Great idea, but trying to find a paid vacancy in any field right now, is like looking for gold!

At the end of the day, i think it is commendable that someone who doesnt have a fixed address or paid job right now, puts themself out to support others in a full time way, and it doesnt matter what their political views are, they deserve to be supported and fed and warm and dry, purely because of their services to society.
Last edited by Boho Patch; 8 years ago
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (1107)
90.37%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (118)
9.63%

Watched Threads