Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know there has probably been many of threads about this topic but I want specific help.

I was wondering how important GCSE's are to a Uni.

Currently I have predicted grades AAA at A level and got an A in psychology at AS level.

Subjects are : Economics, Business Studies and Mathematics Statistics.

I've recently just finalised my 5 choices for my UCAS application and looking through websites I have seen most Unis having a requirement of B's in GCSE Maths ad English.

I got an A* in maths but only a C in English, I far from gave my full effort but I cant really use that as an excuse for it.

So I was wondering will unis make any exceptions or be flexible with these grades?

My five choices are :

Kings College London [Business Management]
    City University London [Business Management]
    Loughborough [Management Science]
    Lancaster [Management Science]
    Southhampton [Management Science]

The one im particularly worried about is Kings college, Ive spoke to admissions tutor at Lancaster and she said that maths means more and it would still beworth maing an application. Southhampton and City im alright for as Southhampton don't specify and City only requires a C at GCSE enlgish and A in maths.

Obviously I could retake but still wan't to hear some advice from anyone that might know about it.

Seems weird because im applying to AAB and ABB unis with AAA predicted and A at AS so obviously they can see I meet the real requirements.

Personally I find it stupid to take someones decisions at 15 into account, big difference between 15 and 17 in terms of responsability and maturity.

ReputationRep:
    Hey.. I think I have the same problem as you, but only worse. I've also applied to business management at KCL too.....and i got Cs for both maths and English at gcse ...I think I've definitely taken a big risk.....but o well I'll give it a shot.
    But i think you'll be fine since you got an A* in maths:yep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.