Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys just got out of the exam thought it was quite difficult unfortunatly....especially the properties of polynomial roots question and the method of differences one on the last page

ReputationRep:
    I found the method of differences question really hard too! I could not see the cancelling out from the terms. Never seen a method of differences like this before.:mad:

ReputationRep:
    I ended up getting it from 2 + (1/3) + (2/3) - (3/2) to get the 3/2 bit then the n terms come from the end of the formula but yer I found that question very hard.

Also couldnt see where the 6n came from in the series question for ages, in the end just added an n to the end of the 6 and everything thing worked out fine but I now realise why it goes there; just wish I could have 2 hours ago :mad:

ReputationRep:
    any guesses for grade boundaries?

ReputationRep:
    I found the exam reasonable except for the very last question. We were never taught how to actually find answers for notations such as that one. What I did though was to swap r as 50 into (4+r)/r(r+1)(r+2) and I then took away 3/2 - 2/r+1 + 1/r+2

Is this the right method?

Also for the question about investigating if 42 + 46j (?) is within the region of the graph, did you guys do, 46j - 2j and 42 - 1 and then find the angle of the triangle?

ReputationRep:
    I'm unsure about the method for question 9iii, all I know is I didn't do it

In the investigation question I simply took the argument of 42+46j and seen if it fit into the range of angles required, maybe I should have taken the modulus aswell , but in the end I came to the conclusion that it did fall into the range

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speedystef)
    I ended up getting it from 2 + (1/3) + (2/3) - (3/2) to get the 3/2 bit then the n terms come from the end of the formula but yer I found that question very hard.

Also couldnt see where the 6n came from in the series question for ages, in the end just added an n to the end of the 6 and everything thing worked out fine but I now realise why it goes there; just wish I could have 2 hours ago :mad:
    Is that the one using the standard formulae?

ReputationRep:
    So did I, but I am not sure if my method is correct or not. Finding the modulus definitely wasn't required.

ReputationRep:
    What did you guys get as the inequality of the two circles?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBKProductions)
    Is that the one using the standard formulae?

Yer I was refering to the standard formulae one at the end with 6n etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speedystef)
    Yer I was refering to the standard formulae one at the end with 6n etc.
    Ah yeah that one confused me a bit too with +6 but then i realised it was 6n just in time when i was going back to check my answers.

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly what I did, I just hope they don't take marks off because i didn't have +6n at the start of the question.

Btw did you get something really strange for d in the polynomial question like root7/2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summerdays)
    What did you guys get as the inequality of the two circles?
    I cant remember the centre of the circle but i got |z-(a+bj)|>1 for the smaller circle and |z-(c+dj)|< 3 (or whatever the radius was...)

ReputationRep:
    In the polynomial question i got a =1 k=11 and d=0.5 but i could be wrong.:p:

ReputationRep:
    I thought that it said that it was between the two circles, but not including (both) the boundary circles?
    I think you might be right though. I got |z-(a+bj)|<1 and |z-(c+dj)|<4

I found the exam reasonable except for the very last question. We were never taught how to actually find answers for notations such as that one. What I did though was to swap r as 50 into (4+r)/r(r+1)(r+2) and I then took away 3/2 - 2/r+1 + 1/r+2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBKProductions)
    In the polynomial question i got a =1 k=11 and d=0.5 but i could be wrong.:p:
    I believe d was +-0.5, but it didn't matter because you would still get the right answer. I got the same value for a and K

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summerdays)
    I thought that it said that it was between the two circles, but not including (both) the boundary circles?
    I think you might be right though. I got |z-(a+bj)|<1 and |z-(c+dj)|<4

I found the exam reasonable except for the very last question. We were never taught how to actually find answers for notations such as that one. What I did though was to swap r as 50 into (4+r)/r(r+1)(r+2) and I then took away 3/2 - 2/r+1 + 1/r+2?
    Yeah same. We havent been taught about things in question 9 much too.
    EDIT: For the circles question, it was between the two boundaries so its >1 since its everything outside on the inner circle.

ReputationRep:
    The investigation for the complex number being in the shaded region, what method di you use? Did you use the method I described earlier?

ReputationRep:
    I found it quite straight forward up to the method of differences which I worked out in the end. I definitely made some silly mistakes though. I was lucky actually as all the revision I'd done was a couple of exam papers yesterday (resitting) and everything that came up was similar to that.

For the last question did anyone just sub values of r = 50 and r=100 in and then take one from the other?

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't sure about that part of the complex number question. We haven't done anything like that before so i just skipped it...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.