Turn on thread page Beta

If you could have quite a cosy life... watch

ReputationRep:
    That sounds great aside from the whole leeching thing. I don't like living off of other people's money, and personally, I think it would be quite pointless and selfish to keep on living if I were to spend my entire life being a parasite like that. However, strange as it sounds for someone so young, I feel 'old' and exhausted, and it would be lovely to be able to just rest from now on...

Can't, though. Tough luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thats pretty much my life at the moment.

Im independent, living with friends in a house which is free for all of us. I live as part of a community, working on projects pretty much every day. Its not exactly cosy, we have to put in effort to provide for ourselves, but we have alot of freedom and answer to nobody. I wouldnt change it for anything.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'd like to just be able to do what I want all day without the constraints or pressure of a job/uni... it would also be good to have the time for my hobbies for once. However, I still think it's worth me getting a degree first.
    I wouldn't want to live off my parents' money though, seems a bit unfair, plus I'd rather have financial independence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    Mine was Edexcel, the hardest maths paper I've ever sat in my life :eek3:
    Looks like all boards made super hard c3 papers this time round :dry:
    Agreed! Bet those sadistic ***** love seeing people struggling to get A*'s! I can't find a C3 edexcel board here:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I would LOVE to have a cosy lifestyle like that.

I'd become a philosopher, which would mean lazing around, doing my nails and pondering on the complexities of life :lazy:

what a dream!

ReputationRep:
    Nah I'd just get bored. I think I need someone telling me what to do with my time.

(Original post by SoundDevastation)
    Thats pretty much my life at the moment.

Im independent, living with friends in a house which is free for all of us. I live as part of a community, working on projects pretty much every day. Its not exactly cosy, we have to put in effort to provide for ourselves, but we have alot of freedom and answer to nobody. I wouldnt change it for anything.
    How have you managed that? If the house is free there must be some catch right? You're not in a cult are you?:p:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't like it. I'd get bored, even with books to read.
    I'd also feel like I'd accomplished nothing. I want some degree of self-sufficiency. I want to get my own qualification and use it to finance my own life. I'd hate to be dependent on someone else, I'd feel somehow beholden to them. Obviously, if I marry a man who earns more than me, that's a bit different, as I will still have my career and contributions for as long as I want them.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want cosy. I want better than everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)

How have you managed that? If the house is free there must be some catch right? You're not in a cult are you?:p:
    We're squatting - occupying an abandoned building, without permission. The catch is that we could get kicked out at any time, by the owner taking us to court. But if that happened... we'd just move somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    We're squatting - occupying an abandoned building, without permission. The catch is that we could get kicked out at any time, by the owner taking us to court. But if that happened... we'd just move somewhere else.
    Oh right. Ok so are you using the Internet in a cyber cafe or something? Can't imagine it's very easy getting an Internet connection in a house you're squatting in.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like being retired... And really quite boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Oh right. Ok so are you using the Internet in a cyber cafe or something? Can't imagine it's very easy getting an Internet connection in a house you're squatting in.
    most squatters chose sensible little houses with electricty.. but we chose an old factory, so no electrics. Im at a friends house/library where my old computer lives.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds great to me. Although I'd rather be financially independent (eg. lottery).
    I imagine it would get boring though.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want to live off somebody else.
    But I do like the idea of just being like that - very much like the life of Lord Henry Wotton, in Dorian Gray. That seems like it'd be fun.

But I like having aims and goals, I like having something to work towards. If I could set myself aims and challenges (like, to read a certain number of books or to paint a painting), I'd be loving it

I'd just have to have intellectually stimulating things around me. I couldn't sit and watch TV all day.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd actually start to suffer from depression if I had a 'cosy' life like that for more than a month or two.

ReputationRep:
    I need things to look forward to, also living off others makes me feel very guilty. University will give me the opportunity to spread my wings.

So no thank you, I have already decided, even if I become a millionaire (HA) I would still work in some way

ReputationRep:
    most squatters chose sensible little houses with electricty.. but we chose an old factory, so no electrics. Im at a friends house/library where my old computer lives.
    Doesn't sound like that lifestyle is particularly independent. You're dependent on the person who owns the house, and the company that supplies the water, etc. Maybe they just don't know about it, but you're still dependent on them to supply you with those things.

ReputationRep:
    Quite and Cosy = BORING!

You wouldn't achieve anything in life = Boring Boring Boring! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Doesn't sound like that lifestyle is particularly independent. You're dependent on the person who owns the house, and the company that supplies the water, etc. Maybe they just don't know about it, but you're still dependent on them to supply you with those things.
    it would be unlawful for the water company to cut us off. Theyre not going to do it, in fact they helped us. As for the building... It would be a shame to lose it but It doesnt matter that much, there are many more. Moving would be fun actually!

ReputationRep:
    it would be unlawful for the water company to cut us off. Theyre not going to do it, in fact they helped us. As for the building... It would be a shame to lose it but It doesnt matter that much, there are many more. Moving would be fun actually!
    If you move, you're just going to be dependent on someone else. The fact that there are many more doesn't stop the fact that you are always dependent on one of them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.